Ann - New Member

AnnC

Hello everyone.  Glad to find this group of those that understand.  I suffered a ruptured brain aneurysm while on the other side of the country.  I had an on again off again headache for about a week.  It was in one spot in the back of my head, but honestly I didn't think much of it. 

I was visiting family and doing a 2 day 40 mile walk for breast cancer awareness.  The walk was fine, no issues.  2 days later I  had the worst headache of my life.  I was due to fly home, but thankfully did not get on the plane and instead my sister drove me to the nearest walk in medical clinic.  The clinic sent us to the local hospital.  The local hospital put me in an ambulance to go to a bigger hospital. 

They put in a coil for the rupture. I remember nothing for those 4 weeks.  My husband flew across country and stayed in the hospital with me, sleeping on chairs.  We flew home and I had one week of rehab.  It is now 14 months later and I feel very slow and have a lot of anxiety.   I stay home alone a lot. 

Work days are over, but I am 62.  My driver's license was never revoked but I feel way too slow to drive.  My big drive is to Starbucks 1 mile away.  We actually sold my car and are down to 1 car. I don't believe that I am high risk, for an aneurysm,  I have not  smoked a cigarette in about 25 years, blood pressure is normal, no family history.

Hi Ann,

Welcome to BTG...Yes you have come to the place where there is a group that understands.  So sorry for your troubles, hope you are continuing to feel better.  I can't speak for your home state of Nevada, I am in massachusetts, but in my state we are a self reporting state. 

They did tell me if they felt you were left with a severe impairment they would report it.  I was not considered to be a reportable case and upon searching further with my neuro was told I could drive..  Lots of great folks here willing to help and share :)

jean

Ann, I think that there is no rhyme or reason for our anneurism , I too was not considered high risk and was 39 when I had mine. Main thing is to build up slowly. If you do something then rest after. Make lists, use reminders and be kind and gentle with yourself as you heal. We are all lucky to be here and sharing our stories but it’s an adjustment as we realise our brain doesn’t quite react and do as it used to. 

Aim at steady, that’s the best goal I find and always take the time to get outside and just sit quietly and enjoy the day.

re driving, in the U.K. you qualify for free buses if you surrender license due to medical reasons, is that the same in US I wonder? If not maybe there is a local community scheme to help with rides to the mall or similar? Your doctors should know. 

Welcome to BTG Ann,

This site has been a life saver to me as just knowing we are not alone in this helps and we got through it xxx

A place where we can share any little niggles and when people say "Yes I've had that" really helps. Just knowing we are not alone in this.  

So take it slowly and listen to what your body is saying,  I hope to see you in Green room for a chit chat when you feel up to it.

Take care and keep happy  xxxxx ie no stress when possible xxx

Archived