About me/needing help with college assignment

Roberta

My name is Roberta, I had a subrachnoid hemorrhage Dec. 2008, I felt as though someone hit me on the back of the neck with a baseball bat.

I had  hydrocephalus, fluid on the brain, which was rectified with daily lumber punctures, was in hospital for a month with severe headaches. A time in my life which was full of heartache with the loss of my beloved dad in March 2009, who I was caring for before my head exploded. 

It was a very dark time for me, as you all well know how hard it is. In August 2009 I had to have a recoiling done due to remnants, which went very well, done by a  professor, J. Battacharrah, lovely surgeon with a great bedside manner explaining everything to me so I was able to understand.

August 2016, I think I was told I had another Aneurysm, left cerebral at biofracation, which is tiny 2mm at last MRI.  Since then I decided one day at a time, I have cognitive problems, memory problems, pain and so on but took myself to college studied complementary therapies, massage aromatherapy, reflexology, in the first 2 years. This year is complementary therapies for clinical practice for people with life limiting illnesses and in palliative care.

I am reaching out to you to ask for help. I am doing my placement at Queen Elizabeth PDRU and was looking for anyone who was in the rehabilitation and/or received any of the above therapies whilst there.

I would love to hear your story and maybe if I could use some of your content for a assignment I have to do.  Thank you in advance. 

Hello Roberta and a warm welcome to BTG

While we do not provide any medical advice, you will find so much support and useful information as you read the individual personal recovery stories within the forums.

In particular many members have commented on the use of complementary therapies and if you key 'complementary therapies ' in the search option on the top right of the web page you will be able to browse and select information that you may feel is helpful to your studies. 

I am sure other members will also provide you with their experiences.

Having been on the recovery road for so many years we would also welcome hearing more about your own highs and lows along the way.

Take care  and best wishes in your studies and research. 

Subs

Hi there

Warm welcome.

I went to college after the SAH, was there for 7yrs but didn't work out for me so well done you on doing what your doing..

I was in rehab for I think 2 months but didn't have any of thetherapies you mention.

Take care.

Thank you so much , I have only done 2 and 1/2 years to date ,

I have loved every minute of it even the times I spent in tears thinking I was incapable. having one of those moments now but I know it will pass. one day at a time is my moto right now. what did you study? if you don't mind me asking.

well done on being a survivor and a fighter, and wish you well with your recovery, as it is an ongoing struggle for us all. Staying positive,  meditation, massage and reiki have all help me a great deal though, I still struggle daily with my memory and cognitive problems.

Be well,

Roberta

Roberta

I self studied as an aromatherapist just out of personal ambition when I was in my twenties alongside a very different career and I used that from when I discharged after my SAH and Hydrocephalus. I had a grade 4 and also a Shunt placed. 

I have to be very careful with oils, i know the ones I can use and to avoid. if I have a massage even now after nearly 8 yrs I can’t have a full body without it effecting me greatly, but light touch and arms and feet are a great relaxation I found. 

I wasnt offered any alternative therapies, I used to use a lot prior but not all sit well with brain injury as over stimulate sometimes..now just meditation, occasional massage and regular use of oils and mindfulness.

I think .you will be an insightful practioner I am sure due to your BI so go easy and be kind, it’s hard work studying for everyone. You’ll get there, no prize for rushing it, 

Hi Roberta,

I had memory problems and I worked very hard at overcoming things.  When coming up to exam time I made up words to remind me of key phrases that would them allow me to write in my exam paper.  There's only so much you can write in to or three hours.  So in your case I would make up a word: -

CAT Cognitive Aroma Therapy,

MAR - - Massage, Aromatherapy, Reflexology.  That would then trigger things in my mind.

Committing things to long term from short term memory I would do by repitition, over and over and over until it transferred.  And do it again the next day and the next day - especially in the run u to the exam itself.  Worked for me, but my subject was completely different to yours but the principle should work.  You just have to stick at it.

Good luck!

Macca

Thank you everyone for replying to me, and for your support. I have been quite busy and tired recently so please excuse my delay in replying ..

Thanks guys.

Just celebrated my 11 year anni- versary was 8th December, feeling very blessed still to be here. xx

Archived