Tracheotomy after SAH

Guest Tenaje

Guest Tenaje

Hi I have just joined the group and am getting my head round this site! I had an SAH in October 2000 it took a year to recover after having a hospital infection! What is so weird is that a friend who supported me is also now in Kings College Hospital having had an SAH but the operation has affected her swallowing and breathing so she has had a tracheotomy, has anyone had a similar experience as she has been in hospital 7 weeks and there is no sign of them removing the tube??

Hi there

Warm welcome to the site, You had your SAH nearly a year after I had mine.

We all seem to have different things that have happened to us and all recover at different speeds too.....

hope to hear more from you

take care

Louise.x

Hi and welcome to BTG

As Louise has said everyone have different things and speed, I now have a weak left leg and speech problems and I still suffer from fatigue.

I was coiled at the Royal Free Hospital in March 2008.

I look forward hearing from you again and hope that your friend makes a good recovery.

Myra xx

Hi :D A very warm welcome to you...so sorry to hear about your friend....i was clipped like you and had sight and balance problems.....i could swallow ok. I hope you friend improves....look forward to hearing from you soon...you take care...love Tina xx

hi tenaje

please dont worry about the trachi it is there to help your friend breathe normally it is there basicly because having an endotrachial tube in which cause's problems in themselfs and they arnt very pretty to look at putting in a trachi enables the staff to maintain her breathing and allows them to suck out any flem or secreations which she produce's a very good thing and better to look at so to speak you didnt say how long since she had her sah but it sounds in the very early days please dont worry my lin had hers for over 6 months before they took it out and i did heal very quickly as the windpipe close's very very quickly once your friend is more aware and stable they will take it out i hope that your managing ok the fact you had an sah then havng to look at a friend who is now suffering please email me or pm me if you want more info anytime the fact she has come this far is good news and being in kings is good couldnt be in a better place as it was my old stomping grounds and one of the best nuero units in the country good luck

have just seen you mention that she is being fed by peg again dont worry lins is still in and she's maintaining weight again its something that can be removed when the time is right your friend does need to keep weight on pm me if you need any advice or want to rant or rave

Guest ElaineW

Hi and a warm welcome, my mum had her trache in forr a few months too and ditto ditto everything Paul has said. Makes communication very frustrating but it's for the best.

Elaine

Guest Tenaje

Thank you everyone for your messages I wish I had found this site when I first had my SAH! I will certainly use it to support my friend because at the moment the family are turning to me and every SAH case is different and her problems are not similar to mine. The family all thought I knew the way to Kings College hospital for a start and I had to say I went there in an ambulance and left in one so no idea how to get there!

The worst part at the moment with my friend is trying to lip read due to her trachi tube and she is finding that very frustrating as she is becoming more aware and with-it.

tenaje

try not to worry to much i doubt wether your freind is deaf so speak clearly and if she is able to move both or one arm take in a whiteboard with marker so she can write what she wants to say or an letters like the kids do at school so she can talk to you and finding the neuro part of kings is not straight forwards as people think :lol: take one day at a time and show the family this site so they can inform themselfs as well and show there is life after sah's take care and try not to rush things it will come right in the end

Hi there:) I think we sort of 'met' yesterday :wink: I thought this would work better, 'tis hard finding your way round sites, and as I found to my cost even harder after an SAH. Sounds as though youare getting some answers and good suggestions. I too hope that your friend improves soon. It must be hard to watch:( I would rather 'talk' like this rather than ghosting in the Chat Room, that was just bad luck for you, that it was so empty yesterday!

Guest Tenaje

Hi Paul99

My friend seemed a lot worse yesterday. She has been in Kings 8 weeks now and there is no sign of them taking out the trachi tube. Can I give your number to her husband Charlie as he is getting very depressed and needs a friend in the "know" about these things?

more than welcome to i have no problem with you passing on the number just hope i can put everyones mind to rest she will have bad days and some very small days of improvement more like one step forwards and half a dozen back now and then will pm you willing to help promise take care and make sure you look after yourself please the trachi will stay in for up to whenever they think your friend dosnt need it do you know the class of sah it would help

Edited by paul99
spelling mistake

Guest Tenaje

Hi Paul thanks I will pass on your number to Charlie. I think the most worrying thing is she seems to be getting weaker and has lost so much weight. Her hands and body are shaking at times and I think they are going to do an endoscopy to check as she still can't swallow or speak when the cuff is deflated. Her SAH was at the back of her head near the spine and they tried an angiogram to put a coil in but in the end it was clipped.