anxiety/panic attacks

hi i am new on here, i had my sah in march i spent 3 months in hospital and have now been home 3 months and i am making good recovery. i am suffering greatly with anxiety, every time i get any kind of pain/sensation in my head i start to panic. i really think its happening again, sometimes i believe i can't walk, see or speak but i can. i am on betablockers to help with this but it does not solve it. i really hate being like this and at the time im petrified, has anyone else felt this way? any advice etc would be so grateful.

thanx kelly:-D

Hi Kellie,

Yes, I'm over 4 years on and have suffered awful anxiety ..... the first couple of years were the worse .... I am still taking beta blockers to relieve the anxiety and help with migraine heads...but, no, I didn't feel that they relieved the anxiety..... well, not for a long time, but they honestly do help.

You are very early days, in terms of recovery, so be kind to yourself ..... What you are feeling, is very normal ...... but would also advise, that you keep talking to your GP if the anxiety is stopping you from doing the day to day stuff. Anxiety, can often be confused with depression, which isn't unusual after this type of event... if you're feeling low, then you need to be honest with your GP and perhaps they can send you for counselling.

The only assurance that I can give you, is that in the 4.2 years that I've been running this website, we've not had one person that has had a re-bleed.

Most of what we experience, is the trauma and the shock of a life changing experience ..... You will get better, but it does take time to restore that confidence. Take each day as it comes...

Keep talking Kellie, give yourself some time to heal, mentally and physically ... it does and will get better ....

If you can pick up a copy of Alison Wertheimer's book "A Dented Image" then you may find that it helps ..... I would definetly recommend it to anybody that has suffered a SAH .... as it kind of normalises what we are feeling ..... xx

thankyou for a quick response, i am taking anti depressants and have just had my first session with a councillor, im glad i found this site to share things with people that understand, i think your right it is early days recovering from a traumatic event and i think strength, a positive attitude and time will be a great healer, somedays easier said than done:frown: i think looking through this site will help me a great deal.

thankyou kelly xx

Hi Kellie,

You will find many people on here, that will empathise with what you're going though ...... just keep talking.... Have a "search" (top of the screen) through the older posts too, as I think that there's a few from me about anxiety and depression, just type in the keywords..... I really can't believe how far that I've moved forward and you will get there too, so keep believing!

Come and have a chat in the Green Room if you're feeling a bit lonely .... we have many people that post each day, just to say what they're getting up to or if they're feeling a bit low and can't get out of the house....

It's also good, to write a bit about yourself in the "Introduce Yourself" forum, as it gives other members a bit of background info and you may find that somebody has similar circumstances to yourself.....

I'm waffling as usual .....:wink: Recovery post SAH isn't easy and I would never say that it is, but hopefully, with the support of other people in the same position, it will make the journey feel a little more comfortable....

The website is always a bit quieter at the weekend, but would imagine that you will get more response to your post over the next few days....

Look forward to hearing more from you.....xxx

Hi Kellie and Welcome

As Karen has already said it is very early days yet recovery wise for you. It is good that you have already been referred to a councellor I hope you get some comfort from these sessions.

The anxiety does get better slowly and the pains and sensations also get better with time. Be kind to yourself and try to listen to your body and rest when you need to. Take care and look forward to hearing more from you.

Hi Kelly,

Welcome to BTG, you are doing really well in your recovery so far and things will get better, it is long and hard but it does get easier.

The anxiety and pains that you are feeling do get better or at least easier as you learn what is 'normal' after SAH.

Be positive and you know where we are if you want support, advice or friendship.

I know anxiety and panic attacks far to well, I also suffer with depression and take meds for this x x (post traumatic stress)

It does get better with time hun honest x x I used to be woken with Panic attacks and then anxiety would prevent me from going back to sleep but thankfully over time its getting better good days and bad days still x

Slight pain and I was panicking x x to calm me down I used to come on here and look up what was worrying me and I used to ALWAYS find I am not alone x x

Any questions or worrys feel free to message me x x

all my love

donna

xxxxx

(It gets better)

Hello Kelly:-D I won't say much about the reason for your post as I reckon a lot of folk have as they will because fear is huge at first but it does gradually improve, there is nothing quite as comforting as having a 'natter' on here and so often finding out that what you feel is exactly what others feel or have felt. The big advantage you have now, is that GP's etc now know you had aneurysm's and therefore if there are any real worries ( which is as Karen says really uncommon) they would react very quickly, but to worry about each little apparently 'odd' thing is not uncommon and all of us will surely understand. For you this is very early days and recovery is pretty slow but it is very certain now so you can take heart:-D Keep chatting to us, and soon you will smile at yourself, I know I do ( smile at myself I mean, I don't mean I'm smiling at you!)

hi there thankyou for your reply, its agreat comfort to no i am not alone and have found people who share what i have been through. i didn't have an anurysm, mine was caused by hypertension, i didn't have HB before and not had it since. they said i have nothing on my brain aqnd if i have it was to small to pick up so i guess im lucky as people with anurysms have had to go through surgery etc where as i skipped that part. i look forward to speaking to you more :-D

Hi Kelly,

I too am in early recovery, and am learning just what that means. Some days it's as if the SAH never happened, and others days I am tearful, anxious, not wanting to be alone, or even away from my partner.

I hate the headaches. Strange twingey pains that make me wonder anxiously "is this normal....is it starting again?" So far so good! I've googled just about everything there is to google on the the subject, and scoured this site trying to learn what is "normal" and what I might expect to happen over the months and years.

I've decided that I will have some good days (yippee!) when life is similar to my pre-SAH life. These I will try to enjoy. The other days - when I'm nauseous, headachey, feeling scared of another SAH, feeling non specifically scared, or just overly emotional for no good reason - I have resolved to simply "get through". From reading about the experiences of others on this site I trust that I will, in time, have more of the good and less of the bad.

My "advice" - if you can call it that - would be to take the good times as the norm, and the rest as "recovery top up " days. We are still recovering (mind and body) just as surely as if we were still lying in our hospital beds. We were strong enough to beat the SAH, we can deal with this nasty "after taste" too. :thumbsup:

All the best,

C

Thanks Kelly For commenting on my Introduction, Your Right Talking about it really does help and there are some great people who Help with all Angles of what we are going through, I had a major set back last week when I became very Ill after Drinking Orange Juice with my Meds i felt awfal and a bit like a Train Crash where all it takes is somthing really Stupid to start a whole heap of other things comming out, Im not one for tears but I just couldnt stop I felt such a Fool, Esp' when I compare my small TIA to others, this got me down even more to see so many people trying to help me when all i was thinking was I didnt diserve this Help ...I really felt Stupid.

after a Hours or so i started feeling alot better though and with great help from a phone call from Mrs Gaurdian Angel I was back on the Happy Road.

Sorry its a bit off the OP, Oh and sorry about the Spelling and Grammar, Should have spent longer in school.

All the Best Kelly

Andi xx

Hi Kelly :)

I am now two and half years since my SAH and the anxiety has really lessened over time, I also have a counsellor who I talk to once a month and this has helped as well.

I still have the odd time when a weird pain or sensation in my head has me worried, but these are now rare and I know that they will pass. :)

Vivien x

Hi Kelly yes I used to feel like that too, but over time it does get better mine was 7yrs ago this month, just sit down and breath at the end of the day it is so unlikely to happen again, and like I have said to others you can spend the rest of your life worrying and waiting for it to or you can get out there and enjoy the second chance you have been given I chose the latter and got myself married and had two children. Anytime you need to talk just pm me. Jess.xxx