excellent response

rod123

Hi all, we all have moans and groans about the way things are dealt with, i've done it myself (yesterday when rehab clinic told me i was doing too much for Merrill) but to be fair to them a little bit of praise today. On monday i phoned the consultants secretary in who is in charge of Merrills rehab and asked if the consultant could give me a call to discuss this confabulation thing which Merrill has (it had all started up again just latley along with other little things) When i took merrill to the clinic yesterday they took Merrill through to where she was working and said could you wait there a moment, which i did then the consultant, the clinic sister and two other people called me into office and sat and discussed Merrill with me, asked my concerns, and i told him her mobility getting slightly worse at times, confabulation, memory very poor at times,sleepless night and loads of other thing (i suppose i chucked it all in for good measure) after that he said what do you think could be causing this then and i said i don't know you're the doctor but i did wonder if her shunt was beginning to block and striaght away he said to the sister right get on to merrill gp and get her to ask for a scan to put minds at rest, then we will talk about confabulation,any thing else, I said i was told off for doing too much for her but she is not the person she was before this happened if i did'nt feel i needed to do so much for her i would'nt do it, He said she never will be that person again you must never compare the new Merrill with the old one this is like a bereavment the old Merrill is gone, He then went on to say that the clinic always work with the husbands at a later stage but i think you need some counciling now,which i don't think i do as i do accept that Merrill will be different not worse different and some of the changes are good one's but anyway i accepted the offer of councelling incase it is me that is wrong and perhaps i do need it, so booked in tuesday for first session.

The way they dealt with my phone call made me feel that they had attached some importance to it and the help they offer could'nt be better and they made me feel as though i'd sat there and talked and that i'd actually been listened to and as you all know this is not always the case, but what excellent service.

Edited by rod123

Hi there

yes that was so good, they actually lisenting rare quality isnt.....so please tho.

I'm glad you accepted the offer of councelling gives YOU someone to talk to...but (working with husbands & or partners at a later stage) puzzles me dont they need the support before the 'later stage' or is that just me being doh! I dont know.

Merrill's not different she's special......and it takes someone who's close to her to notice the changes that are happening like you have.....

take care love to Merrill.

Hi louise yes special thanks for pointing that out she's always been special now she's extra special, and yes i don't know why later rather than sooner, although i did have a moan about how long rehab took to sort out and i firmly believe that the time delay they see as neccesary because it give the body a chance to do it's own healing and then they come in and drag it along a bit more (don't know if thats a good way to explain it) but as you probably found every need you have, it takes them forever to meet. Right at the start of this i spoke to a guy from headway, and he said there is help there to be had and the people who get it are the one's that shout the loudest, and thats about the cut of it thanks Rod

Hi Rod,

I'm so pleased that you're getting the help and that somebody has listened to you.:-D

It does seem to be a postcode lottery, as what to expect in the way of help and I've certainly found, that anything that has been offered to me, has been when I've been at absolute desperation point and it's sad that we don't all have the same level of aftercare offered, post SAH.

Hope that the counselling helps and keep up the good work with Merrill......xx

hi rod

its understandable not to jump in and help its human nature but as the doc has said step back a little and just be there for mel its hard i know but try as for the counciling go for it its surprising what comes out all the frustration's and worries which we have you included when the box is opened im pleased that mell is improving albeit with the odd step back here and there please look after yourself your no good if you crumble take all the help you can get i just wish i had the option give mel a huge hug and cuddle and tell her to carry on getting better love to you both

Hi Louise, no you hav'nt forgotten you're quite right merrill had angio on the 23rd friday just gone but i don't know if that show if the shunt is working properly but i had'nt thought of that myself, at the rehab tomorrow will have to try and get hold of the hospital sister and ask her about that thanks will post again as to whether or not it shows the shunt functioning Thanks Rod