Blood donors/Blood donation post SAH

The following thread has been submitted by AnneEA1965

Recently i received an invitation to go and give blood - I rang them to ask when I would be able to donate again and they said I wouldn't ever be able to again. I am a little confused as to why this is as I am not on any medication and can't understand why i can't ever - within the first few months of an SAH I can but forever is a long time - least ways I hope it is.

Any info on the blood donation would be very much appreciated,

Thanks.

Anne

Hey there

I'd check with your GP or consultant. When I asked mine he said he didn't see why not. I just have to wait a year after having a tattoo to donate again, so it may be the same for an SAH. Would seem odd that after an SAH you couldn't as many people have operations and can still donate - but check anyway.

I'm not sure as to the reasons why, post SAH, that you wouldn't be able to give blood. As Sami (Skippy) has already suggested, you perhaps need to check with your GP or Consultant as to the reasons why you can't?

However, the following web page, may be of help - click on this link: https://secure.blood.co.uk/c11_cant.asp

Thanks everyone - I have an appointment at the hospital in April so will ask then. A friend who works with brain injuries said it was because of the surgery. Apparently after any surgery the blood thins and it takes longer to screen. As blood has a short shelf life anyway by the time it got through the screening process it would not have a long enough shelf life to make it worth the effort. Bit strange I think. I will just ask the consultant or my GP.

Thanks for the link Karen - I had already looked at that and it wasnt much help - just said something about post surgery. They did speak to a doctor when I rang to ask cos all i was asking was when it would be possible to and they just said you won't be able to give blood again. GUTTED!!!!

Hi Anne,

I can understand your frustration as to not being told the reason "why" .... however, that seems to be the case for a lot of questions that arise after having a SAH!

Well, if you eventually discover the reason why you aren't able to be a blood donor, then please let us know, as it's an interesting thread and something that hasn't cropped up before on our message boards.

Wishing you well and well done for giving your blood and helping others! :-D xx

For a long time I wasnt able to give blood because of anaemia. I finally got that sorted out and then this happens,

Blood donors rang me back yesterday. Apparently they have strict guidelines to follow for the safety of both the donor and the recipient and it is apparently in case they take blood one day and I have another event soon after - I would then need that blood. They did say that it is not because there is anything wrong with my blood - its just in case I am ill again and need it.

Still gutted!!!!

You cannot donate blood anymore if you have had an operation dunno why a bit silly really cause I was stitched after having Garry and Shayne and that alone would of stopped me being able to so there aren't gonna be many people who can anymore. Hope this helps. Jess.xxx

Hey there

I had a an operation on a trapped ulna nerve about 14 years ago, but I've given blood since. On the questionnaire it never mentioned previous operations and I wasn't asked if I'd had one. Surely a majority of people have had an operation so there can't be many people giving blood. Personally I don't see why it should make a difference whether you've had an operation or not, seems silly to me.

• 1 month later...

Hiya - only just spotted this thread... I was told I'd have to wait 18 months, and then the blood organisation wanted permission to contact my neuro and gp.

My GP wasn't too keen, but the neuro was more than happy. I did feel incredibly worn out for a good 24 hours after giving blood, and I'm not sure the resulting anxiety was worth it.

Strangely enough I went to give blood a couple of days prior to my SAH, and failed both of the iron tests. I sometimes wonder if it would have made things worse had I been able to donate. Sorry! Am rambling now (for a change) - the upshot is that I think you need to ask the blood org to contact your GP and Neuro to check your specific case. Good luck :)