One year anniversary

JuneZ

Before 2:40pm on November 2, 2021, I worked in office and took care of family from 6am to 9pm daily. Now I’m trying hard to accept the new me suffering from fatigue and anxiety daily since I had NASAH one year ago.

I’m fortunate that I didn’t lose any function after the bleeding, but the road of recovery is bumpy and endless. It took me two months after SAH to gain energy to walk 1 mile and nine months to walk 2 miles. My recovery seems to stop at 9 months and I have setbacks when I push myself too hard.  

My battery runs out after about 1 hour. No matter I talk over the phone, walk in grocery store or along the beach, I become exhausted, have palpitations and headache after 50 minutes or so. I have to lay down on bed quietly to recover. One day I couldn’t drive home and had to call for a ride. I lost my job eventually and have to go through this recovery all by myself…

How about your recovery journey?

Hello JuneZ,

I had my bleed 5 years ago this past May.  The first year did not deliver to me what I had hoped for.  I still very much did not feel at all like myself.  Everything was a chore, cooking, cleaning laundry, all of it.  I did return to work but thankfully it was a 3 eight hour shifts per week and a position I had held for over 20 years, it did not tax me very much at all.  My family was grown as I was 64 when I had my bleed so did not have that responsibility at that time.

What I will say is that I see progress when I look back better.  I knew that at the end of one year I was better than I was when I came home from rehab.  Again when year 2 rolled around I could look back and see....yes I am making progress.  There has been the challenge of learning to accept and love the new/changed me. 

I run out of energy quickly and want to check out of what is happening.  My balance is not the best and I work hard to use caution as to not fall or bump into things.  When I push too hard, as you mentioned, it takes a toll.

I did stop working after 3 years but did pick up a volunteer job, just once a week at a zoo.  It is fun as I love animals and children and plenty of both there.  I can sit when I want and chat about the animals.  Yes I am exhausted afterwards.

A brain injury, as I found out, is slow to recover.  My road to recovery has had its bumps but I have seen a grand child born, a son marry, taken some vacations and little things like sitting in the yard and fixing some plants.  

I will tell you I also did some mental health counseling, it was helpful to me.  I learned how to reset myself (doesn't work everytime) when I am able to it is like washing my face with cool water :)  

My thoughts are with you on your first year and also my best wishes for many many more.  This is tough, but life is beautiful and we are survivors.

Be well

xx

Jean

• Like 3

Hi June :) 

Congratulations on your one year anniversary :) 

Be very proud of how well you have done and are doing. The first year is the hardest. As Jean has written so beautifully above, it is tough, but things will improve. I just takes time. I found it very frustrating in the early days. Like you i used to work full time, looked after my family. I tried so hard to get back to the old me.

I still get very tired and balance is not always good, also my short term memory ( drives me mad :rolleyes:). I have an on going cancer problem that is being managed, but life is good in so many ways and feel very blessed xx

I have now learnt how to know my limits. Still catches me out sometimes ;) Also learnt to accept and love the new me :) 

On 02/11/2022 at 20:02, Swishy said:

My thoughts are with you on your first year and also my best wishes for many many more.  This is tough, but life is beautiful and we are survivors.

Be well

xx

Jean

Had to quote our lovely Jean :) She says it all so eloquently :) 

Wishing you well June and here's to many more anniversaries where you can look back and see those improvements and just how amazing you are :)  xx

Take care

Love Tina xx

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Tina said:

Wishing you well June and here's to many more anniversaries where you can look back and see those improvements and just how amazing you are :)  xx

Take care

Love Tina xx

Thank you, Tina! I’ll be patient and report improvement every anniversary or more often!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Louise said:

👍Happy 1st year Ani-versary 👋 my 23rd was on the 1st Nov.... 

its not an easy thing to recover from it takes time..  I hope you have a good support network around you kind of helps..

Take care. 

Congratulations on your 23rd anniversary! I’m looking forward to 10th, 20th, … anniversaries. 😀

• Like 2

On 06/11/2022 at 09:51, jess said:

Happy anniversary 🎉 

It gets easier, 20 years on I work full-time have had 2 kids naturally passed driving test it gets better xxx

Hope things keep improving for you xxx 

Thanks for the encouragement. I wish I can go back to work too after several years’ recovery.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Hello June,

I just read your 1st anniversary post. You’ve had some great responses ~ that’s why BTG is such a life-line post brain bleed crisis. I certainly can say the first year of recovery is the most difficult ~ a brain injury heals very s l o w l y. Lots of rest and a slower pace all necessary. Keeping well hydrated is also so helpful.

The hardest for me was the onset of “panic attacks” and ongoing anxiety. I will be 5 years post SAH in March (and will turn 66 years old) and still struggle with that one! I take anti-anxiety medication at the lowest dose. I also tend to become more easily irritable and that makes me sad. I have had to learn to give myself more grace and lean on the support of my three sisters when things are gloomy at home with my husband and our adopted son (13) and foster niece (20) both with special needs.

I am a grandmother of 5 boys and one girl and they all give me lots of joy! Grandma dates with each of them are the best. I am thankful our four grown children and their spouses live close. My youngest daughter (37) married with three boys helps me a lot. She is a Master degree nurse finishing her Nurse Practitioner degree and teaches nursing. She has me come in to her class once a semester to share my SAH story and 6 week hospitalization and what was most helpful and needed from my nurses.

I wish you the best in your recovery ~ it is up and down at times but you will see progress as Tina said. There will be residual challenges and the acceptance of a “new normal” but life is a gift and there are rewards to perseverance. Give yourself more grace on hard days.

Know you are not alone 💗

Taking one day at a time, Kathy (Colorado, USA)

• Like 2