Referral to Haywood Centre, Stoke

Had a meeting today with Richards physion, OT and nurse and not the most positive of meetings:frown5:. Richard is very neglectful of his left side and they have said that unless this changes they cant really do much to help him. However, he is now moving his left leg a bit so this must be an improvement. They have said today the 2 options for him are to either come home or go to rehab. They have said the best thing for him is rehab as he could still improve and won't get as much physio at home and I also don't think he is ready to come home (incontinent, can't dress himself, very very depressed, etc) so they are going to refer him to the Haywood Centre in Stoke. Has anyone on here been to this centre? I think you go here for about 6 weeks of intensive physio.

hi zoe

im not sure about the Haywood unit but any intensive physio could be good as long as they don't tire Richard to much it might also do him good if he is with others that are going through it how much do they think Richard can improve? i just wish they gave lin the option [ im not going there ]

it also means you have to travel again can you check the place out via the web and find out what they are offering Richard if he comes home i know he will only get physio maybe twice a week if they can do it can you go there and see for yourself as you need to be sure and have peace of mind and ask if they will have him back after hes been to Haywood

as for the incontinence thats another matter which needs to be dealt with by the hospital or is it down to the level of damage caused by sah i do not want to be a doom merchant ever but it seems that more questions need to be asked before a final choice is made zoe you have my number please give me a call if you want to take care sweetheart hugs and cuddles

I would love to have him at home and know that I would care for him but having the 2 kids would make it very hard. I wouldn't be able to leave him alone and I know there would be carers coming in but with kids there are times when I have to go out (school runs, etc). In terms of the incontinence I don't think this is the problem as he is aware that he needs to go the loo - I think the problem is that he needs someone to put him on the commode and he won't ask for help so by the time someone comes to check on him he has already been. I have looked on the net but can;t find much about the haywood centre. I think it is part of the Haywood Hospital in Burslam but don't know much more.

Yesterday when I saw him he was at the lowest I have seen him. Said he wished he hadn't survived and that he had had enough and that the kids were what was keeping him going.

Just feel a bit deflated after yesterdays meeting as in 2 weeks he has made amazing progress (moving his left leg) but the physio was 'keeping it real' and was talking about what he couldn't do rather than what he could.

zoe please pm me the hospitals details would like to come and see Richard and see if i can help in any way i hate it when the staff focus on what cant be done instead of looking for ways to help Richard and building his confidence up and looking towards a better life although i can understand how he feels from being very active to being limited in what he can do just wish the hospitals could change their outlook and not always be negative take care sweetheart give my regards to Richard chin up girl

Hiya Zoe,

If I understand you you are OK looking after your husband Richard who has had a SAH.

All I can tell you is that I have been to rehabilitation. I do not know about your Haywood place.

I was at Kings College hospital for two months after my brain haemorrhage, after that I was sent to rehabilitation. I have asked my partner what had happened and how I was there. As I undersatand I was very similar to Richard if not exactly talking forgetfullness with depression etc but funnily enough my leg problems are with my right leg.My partner has told me going to rehab was not a choice, she was not asked I had to go for 4 weeks all I can tell you is how it went.

It was good and helped me on the right track. You are with a group of people in the same position so you can learn what is wrong and you want to improve. My rehabilitaion centre was a secure place for safety. Every day there is a regime….if I rememmber like this;

8am-Bathroom Washing and breakfast

9am- Physio

10am- Speech therapy

11am- Doctor

usually short with a small break

12 am- Psychiatrist

Lunch

1pm- Memory group etc

I wont write out the whole list as I take up too much space, but you get the feel of it. The whole day was registered until your last appointmet 4- 5 then dinner until 6pm where you coulsd watch tv and realx or talk. Most went to bed about 7pm till 8 pm. I did more work on reading calling friends I tried to write but I couldn’t. I make it sound like a prison but it is not. the nurses were great. Many times I was the only one still up at 9 pmwatching tv and I was a smoker before I SAH so I went to the garden to smoke and think about my own position. When it was quiet I used to help or talk to the nurses….so I was as helpful I could be. little things you learn and as the end I used to make tea and coffee for the nurses as they could relax too. I was in bed by about 10 pm waking until 7pm a bit.In the beginning its like being a child they care for but they helped me so much They started me off who I thank for them. It has been 3 years ago now still working on me .memory.cognitive understanding.reading and writing etc. If I am accepted again at the brain damage clinic as it is my last chance. If I am accepted I will be there as a resident for 3 months I will grab it straight away for my learning difficulties.You can see him and visit ans see the improvement. If it is too much they find different ways for him and let him rest. There is a regime and rules but it is not a prison.If it makes sense to you or if you have questions or want more then e mail me as I will tell you everything I have learnt for Richards help and improvement. I did this by reading you, undersatanding you and communicating with you. 3 years ago you would not have not seen thisfrom me without rehabilitation. Good luck.

Hi there

I havnt been there, BUT I have been in rehab & I think (for me) it was the best thing, although I just wanted home but so pleased I went it does exactly what it says......

remember take time for yourself....

Hi Zoe.

I was at Leamington rehab for a while after my SAH. I had major left sided weakness. Without that, I would not be able to do half the things I can do now.

Also as an inpatient at the rehab he would be able to get the follow up care once he is discharged a lot quicker.

Good luck.

Thank you everyone. From how you have described it blueday it sounds like the best thing for him. The consultant saw him today and said he would start the referral so just have to wait for a bed. His SAH was 8 weeks ago and he has come on so much - can feed himself (but gets quite a lot down him), can lift his left leg off the bed, helped me change his t shirt earlie, tries to wash himself, etc. He recognises everyone of his friends who has come in and has known who they are but he struggles with remembering his nurses names. Will tell us he has walked to the toilet and will argue that he is right and then suddenly accepts he is wrong. I know he can improve and that he has the fight in him and perhaps if he is in a place with other young people rather than on a ward of elderly stroke patients this may help his mood.

Paul - when he has moved I will let you know where he is.

ok zoe

i have just spoken to a minister who was based at stoke and was involved with Haywood he has given it a glowing reference and reckons Richard should do well there he has known it for over ten years a small world good luck

Hi Zoe

I went to Rehab i didnt want to go i just wanted to go home and i thought i was ok being left in Rotherham Hospital right at one end of a ward in a room where it was quiet and i could have the lights turned off due to photophobia!! andhow a lady came with a doctor and said i needed physio and to go to Rehab because i had had a stroke from momory thats the first i new of it...i was so upset i didnt want to go, it turned out that it was 500yard across from the hospital anyway i stayed a nearly two weeks i was the only one who was at that time able to walk by myself and i was the youngest there..at first i thought it was a step backwards but with intensive physio i had i was able to go home..i did find it a little isolating but with most of my stay in hospital at rotherham anyway i only saw the cleaner and the nurse who gave me my tablets everyday anyway until visiting that is, it turned out they didnt know where to put me!!!! Anyway SORRY for rambling....i can only say its the best thing they did sending me to Rehab it did me the world of good, take care and best of luck

Love luck and laughter

Michelle c xxxxxxxxxxxxx

• 1 month later...

I went to visit the Haywood Hospital yesterday - very nice. If they don't get Rich moving no-one will. However, I was under the impression he would be there for 8 weeks but I get the impression it will be a lot longer (I think they keep them until they can't do anymore for them). He is looking forward to going tomorrow. Like Michelle C said, they don't really know what to do with him at his current hospital so he is left in his bed all day. Just hope he can make some improvement in the coming months.

Hi Zoe, glad Richard is going for Rehab. I hope it is the spur for him to improve and be able to return home more able and settled.

This puts a strain back on you with all the travelling, remember to think about time for yourself where possible.

I wish him well and good luck.

Rich is doing OK at Haywood. They have been putting some electrical pads on his left arm and sending pulses through them which he said is strange as his arm lifts up and his hand opens. Nurses have had a chat with him about how slow things are going to be taken as he seems to think he will be wlaking in a couple of weeks and that won't be the case. He fell off the toilet yesterday and badly grazed his back and he fell off his wheelchair today and has injured his left arm. They have said that if the pain is still in his left shoulder on Monday they will send him for an x-ray. I have told him that he has to stop trying to stand up by himself and to take things slowly. Took the kids today which got him a bit emotional. He broke down and said he had had enough and felt like giving up but I reminded him that he isn't a quitter. Our daughter has also been referred to a paedeatrician as she has suffered with headaches for many months now and as Richards nan also suffered with a SAH from aneurisms the doc feels Xara should be checked out.

Will speak to you again soon.

Zoe and family

Richard is now able to lift hi sleft leg completely off the bed. I'm so chuffed. He keeps on about it being the only thing he can do and I have to point out that he wasn't doing that 2 weeks ago. I know the bit of brain that has been affected can control libido and his has gone through the roof. He keeps asking me to get in bed with him and when I say no I get called all sorts of names. Did anyone else suffer with this as it is driving me mad but I know he can't control it.