Hello - Lin-lin

Lin-lin

Hi everyone

I'm new here. I suffered a SAH on the 21st November 2009.

I've escaped obvious physical disabilities, but like many of you, I'm not exactly the same as before.

As a previous marathon runner, it's hard to accept that I have limitations, but I'm improving. Training is more difficult these days given I'm battling fatigue and insomnia, but I make the best of my good days.

I had to resign from my job as Solicitor in April 2010, bringing with it natural concerns for the future. My employers couldn't offer me a phased return and it's unrealistic for me to work in such a stressful environment at the moment, or indeed again. I hope to commence volunteer work with the Citizens Advice Bureau this month allowing me to gage where I am in terms of abilities.

I'm learning about the 'new me' every day and have to adapt, sometimes lowering the bar in terms of expectations.

I appreciate that I'm lucky to have survived my SAH, but working through the recovery can be frustrating.

I'm confident that what I'm feeling and my responses to my recovery, are all normal secondary symptoms of the SAH; and reading the experience of others reinforces that.

I wish everyone well.

Lin-lin

Lin-lin thank you for adding and enhancing our group.

Always good to have a Solicitor in the family, even though you have put your books down for the moment.

Your SAH is very recent, as we have learnt. I'm sure you were thankful that you survived your personal ordeal, and it's normal that you want to get better quick and get on with life too. Reading in between your lines it sounds as though you have a balanced approach to how you are feeling.......which is an excellent attitude. Depending on how you feel regarding work and taking on the world again may take some time. We don't know all the details about you and your SAH; we don't even have to know at all. Just the three letters says it al....SAH.

Lovely you put down some words for us after only 7 months and 2 weeks, now its time to heal and strengthen yourself again.

Looking forward to hearing from you again.

Hi Lin Lin and welcome to btg, my wife is a different person to the one she was before the sah but different does'nt always mean worse and i actually think she enjoys life more now than she did previously, but it's been 16 months getting here, and as time goes on it deffinatley gets easier.

Good luck with your recovery Best wishes Rod

Hi Lin Lin

Welcome to the site you sound as if you're starting to learn your limitations. It took me over 18 mths to finally find a work/life balance that suits me for most of the time.

You are still in your first year of recovery which is one of the hardest with the fatigue, exhaustion and testing your capabilities. Never say never to returning to your job as a solicitor it may be become manageable again in the future.

Wishing you luck with the Citizens Advice Bureau, I'm sure your skills will be greatly appreciated. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Hi Lin-lin

Welcome to the site. Yo sound as though as you are doing well. It's one of the hardest aspects of SAH recovery, when we have to get know the new "me". Good luck with Citizens Advice Bureau, sounds like a really good idea.

Take care.

Hi Lin Lin

Welcome to Behind the Gray website - it certainly helps to learn about your own recovery by reading through other peoples stories.

I hope you enjoy working at CAB - a worthwhile cause and a good choice for you - I hope that helps you with your continued recovery.

You sound very positive which always helps - I wish you well for the future.

Best wishes,

Sarah

Hi Lin Lin

Just read your post I have been away from home computer for a few weeks as I am back at work on a phased return.

I realise I am lucky to have this option .I do have to add I have requested voluntary redundancy because I dont ever want to work 12 hour days again.

Take Care be good to yourself you are woth it.

Hi there and welcome (sorry, I thought I'd welcomed you before!!). I know what you mean about learning about your limitations. It's the hardest part, I feel, especially when one looks "normal" to others. Very hard indeed. So be kind to yourself, and come here often - there is lots of support to be found here. Take care.

Hi Lin Lin

Welcome to site and to the family. Like Jen, I thought I'd welcomed you before but apparently not lol.

Realising my limitations and accepting the "new" me was the hardest part for me too. I still get frustrated that I'm not as capable as I was before, but I know that I'm a hell of a lot better than I was three years ago. I'm working full time and then some and and currently doing an NVQ3 in Business Administration, so not too bad really.

Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Take care

Hi Lin..

Thanks for your message and kind words. Glad to see you've made such a good recovery.

As you know my mum has just suffered a SAH and i'm obviously worried sick. At this stage no one knows how my mum is going to be after this but i'm encouraged by your story. I can only hope for the best for my mum but the uncertainty is hard to deal with. I only joined last week so, like you, i'm new here to but it's definitely been a real help being on here and everyone is really nice and supportive.

I hope things are going well for you and take care.

Ash