Will you Fly?

Let us know your feelings on flying and what advice that you've been given from the medical profession.....is it safe after a SAH?.....have you flown since having the SAH?.....is anybody fearful about flying?......did you suffer from ear problems whilst flying, prior to having the SAH?

Hey there

I was told that there wouldn't be a problem flying due to the anuerysm being occulded and in effect "dying". However, as I suffered from ear plane when flying before I'm reluctant to try now as I don't want to be in a situation where I'm not sure if the SAH is happening again and I'm miles off the ground - I can hardly ask them to call an ambulance whilst flying over Spain!! So not too sure at the moment. I'll probably be more comfortable one way or the other when I've had my MRI and seen how well the artery wall has mended.

TTFN

Sami xxx

Flying mmm...I've always suffered from a pressure in my ears and bad earache from childhood....but what worries me now, is that it's doubly worse even in the car since the SAH.....it used to kick off just climbing steep hills......now when I'm in the car, it seems to happen at certain points on regular journeys where a very small incline is involved....it's weird. I just don't think that I would want to take the risk of going up in a plane, as there's nothing that you can do once you're up in the air.....unless you've a parachute strapped to your back! You can hardly ask them to stop the plane....It's the thought of whether or not I would panic and I think that fact would just ruin a holiday for me, especially with the realisation of having to do a return journey, if the outward journey was bad... it's a shame that you can't do some sort of flight simulator test.

I just received a letter back from the consultant they give ok to fly. I going to Ireland in March taking ferry. I think I would fly after they checked out the coils. I would still be very worried but think flying does make it much easier for me, i'm more worried about my angio as I've read about the risks but they say well they're not that high and basically thats what they need to do.

So yes I will fly again after all this I want to see the world, I've only been to Aberdeen and Malta/Gozo :cry:

Yes I've been told 'they see no reason why I can't fly' but me I'm not so sure :?

I think what I may do sometime is fly to London for a weekend see a show meet up with my cousin & it I had to get a train home, reason for going to a show & meeting up with my cousin it would give me something to look forward to balance out the thought of flying..... :roll:

Louise.

• 3 weeks later...

HI,

Ive flown 4 times since my 2 ops in 1996 and had no problems at all(but can only speak for myself of course).

I was given no warnings of dangers of flying! in fact i was told to go and lead my life as normally as before! my surgeons actual words were and i quote; " ive seen inside your head and theres more chance of something happening to a normal man in the street than you, youve had 2 aneurysms and having 3 is near on impossible".

Sometimes their abrupt almost non-caring attitude knocks you back a little? even though they do care an awful lot!

regards-BIG AL

Hi Big- Al

Yep, I got told basically the same - there is no reason why I can't do any of the things I did before and be safe. I was told that I had as much chance of this happening again as Mr Joe Public - I also had two aneursyms - one burst and one not both coming from the same stem so they assumed that they's been there for years and instead of one bursting another one formed at the side - both are now coiled.

TTFN

Sami xxx

Hi

I've just found out that I may have to fly to Dublin for work next week :shock: As well as the thought of flying, the site is one that's had a few problems so the pressure is on to get it sorted out. Either they think I can sort it or they want to pin the blame on me if it all goes ^^ up. :lol: Although I think it needs a magician, not an engineer!

I'll let you know how I get on.

Off to practice a few magic tricks :lol:

Keith

Hi Keith,

Good luck! At least it's a fairly short journey, did you have any problems with flying before the SAH?

Eric's job often involves "trouble shooting" ..... he's normally the last port of call, when all else fails and somebody's looking to sue the Company or withdraw their business. Again, it's mainly to overseas customers who are waiting to give somebody a damned good tongue lashing, but he's always managed to sort the problems.

I'm sure that you'll be fine .... but so glad that it's not me......think that it would be the flying that I would dread, more than the tongue lashing!!

I know that Sarah posted something on the site about being able to buy ear plugs from Boots that reduce the ear pressure when flying? I think that she's on her hols now, as she said that she would let us know if the ear plugs worked when she returns.

OK Guys

I'm home, safe, and in one piece. Here's what I felt, both outbound and in as there were minor differences:

Flew from Luton to Gibraltar, and return, via Monarch.

On the way out, through screening, I didn't set off any security alarms. I did on the way back, at Gibraltar, although went through twice (due to pedantic customs official) and set it off second time through. Obviously can't be sure whether it was down to clip or not.

OUTBOUND FLIGHT

A lot of ear popping went on and I'd forgotten to put in the anti-air pressure ear plugs (memory failure yet again!) plus some weird "sensations" in the scar area but not much actual pain. A little pain/discomfort behind the right eye. About three quarters of the way into the flight I got the horrid disorientation feelings - not sure if that was due to flight itself or just one of those times - and on descent more ear popping and 'bruised' feeling around scar area.

For about three days my head around the scar area felt like I'd walked into a wall - it felt very bruised and my right eye was uncomfortable in its socket. Not painful, but uncomfortable and dry. I also got a sporadic sharp pain in the scar area but not too often. Some minor aches in aneurysm area too, both sides.

As I've said in the past, I had the SOMIC procedure which means that an incision of about 3 inches was made along my forehead and a flap of bone was cut away in order to reach the aneurysm, bone flap then replaced. At its best this area of my head can be described as 'undulating'. However, over 4 days in Gib it was extremely lumpy and bumpy, both visually and to the touch - I was something of a tourist attraction for a while. Had a day of undulation only, and then flew again - same lumpy bumpy still not back to undulations.

INBOUND FLIGHT

Again, forgot ear plugs (how stupid???). Immediately after take off I got huge pins and needles in my right leg which lasted about half an hour. I'm not prone to them and don't think it was a coincidence. Same ear popping etc. as outbound flight.

I will certainly fly again. Yes, I was worried and yes it was a little uncomfortable. No doubt I will always have worries but it wasn't as bad as I expected. Sorry I didn't road test the ear plugs. However, I have it on good authority from someone who flies regularly across the globe in all manner of aircraft (civilian, military planes and helicopters) but hasn't had any brain surgery that they are excellent.

Hope this helps.

Sarah

:P

Hi

Just had the Dublin trip confirmed!

I'm not worried about the flying, just having to get up at 3:30 am tomorrow morning to get to Heathrow! :shock:

Still, I'm taking our electrician with me, so I won't have to drink all that Guinness on my own! :lol:

Regards

Keith

Hi Karen,

I'm still in a bit of a quandary about hols this year.We nearly always go to Turkey ( We love it) but must admit I feel a bit wary to say the least!

I have always suffered really badly when landing from pain in my ears due to pressure, when I said to my daughter we may go to Spain instead (shorter flight) she did in fact remind me that she has seen me so many times actually cry with pain when landing! So now I am thinking maybe go on holiday in this country.

I haven't been for my angio yet, in fact I was supposed to have had it 6 weeks after discharge but have not even had my appointment come through yet! So I think I may wait till I've had that and seen the consultant before I decide for sure

Love Suexx

Hi Sue,

It's surprising how many of us SAH'ers suffered from ear pain when flying. I'm definetly not going to be flying in the near future.....think that it would ruin my hols with just the thought of it...........there's plenty of other travel options, ferry, train, channel tunnel and some lovely countryside to be seen in the UK that I've yet to discover. I've never particularly liked it at sea, so I've always flown, but that option seems better than flying at the moment.

I'm not saying that I will never fly again....but until my head feels better on terra firma ... it's going to be put on hold! :lol:

There's some great beaches and countryside over here, my favs are Devon and Cornwall......I know that within the UK, it's weather dependent, but if you don't feel up to flying then consider something within the UK.... personally I don't think that you can beat the UK or even a trip to Southern Ireland...which is a short flight or you can catch the ferry....there's some lovely beaches and glorious countryside and the Irish people are very welcoming....I've had some of my best holidays there....much to my surprise..

Hi Karen,

you're right, it's the thought of flying thats scary. Funny you should say about Devon and Cornwall, my eldest grandaughter Charlotte who lives with us has recently been to St. Ives, with my daughter and her family, she absolutely loved it there, as they all did. On the plus side, the long range weather forecasters says we are in for a hot hot hot summer!!!

The thought of pain in my head as well as my ears when flying is scary, think i'm sure that i'm not flying this year. Thanks for your views.

Love Suexx

Hey

Yeah Devon and Cornwall are my favourite places to visit - even after my SAH happening whilst on holiday there. We're hoping to visit friends in Penzance some time in the summer. Also thinking about going to Norway on the ferry from Newcastle to Stavanger - lovely country.

TTFN

Sami xxx

Sami,

Mousehole is literally down the road from Penzance......it's lovely and very quaint, but very much a holiday town or should I say village ..... I would imagine that in the winter, it's like a ghost town ..... if you get the chance, then take a peak.....St. Agnes in Cornwall, is also very pretty ... it's a little cove with a sandy beach ..... great if you want to get away from the crowds and lovely for kids.

Hi

Just to let you know, the flights to and from Dublin were fine and I did not experience any ill effects except for a bit of ear popping, but that's normal anyway. Take of from Heathrow was a bit rough on Tuesday though :shock: due to the wind and rain. The pilot seemed to have a bit of trouble keeping the aircraft straight on the runway, but hey, you need a bit of excitement now and again. :lol:

Regards

Keith