Jump to content

Driving


Recommended Posts

What have people been told about driving? The same embryo doctor who was prepared to let me return to the gym the day of my release from hospital (presumably because those weights would really test the strength of the coiling) was most insistent I could not drive for a year. Have no desire to, but wanted to check what other people have been told.

Cheers

Joanxx

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi

I was not told anything about driving, other than that I must inform the DVLA about my SAH and not to drive until they said I could. I felt that I was able to drive (at least for short journeys) after about 2 months, but finally had a letter from the DVLA after about 3 months saying that I could continue driving. The DVLA usually contact your neurosurgeon for info.

I think it varies depending on whether you had epileptic seizures associated with your SAH and the length of time since your last seizure, so yes, it could be up to a year. Not sure on this, as I've never had any seizures.

I have a 40 minute drive to work and I found it very tiring at first, but it's OK now. I've even driven a couple of 200 mile journeys without major drama, excepting one 8 hour nightmare, but I won't go into that!

Regards

Keith

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi

I dont drive but I was told that I couldn't for a year because I had seizures if I wanted to drive I would have to contiue with the midication but as I said I dont drive so didnt affect me.

I think its an individual thing, again back to we're all different :roll: .

Louise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi

I just found this on the DVLA website. It's a guide for doctors on medical standards of fitness to drive and includes SAH. I've not had a chance to read it yet (probably won't bother) as it's a bit heavy going and I think you have to be a brain surgeon or somesuch to understand it! :lol:

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/medical/aagv1.pdf

you'll need acrobat reader to view it.

Regards

Keith

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi

After my coiling and return home I notified DVLA and whilst awaiting their decision my GP told me I could drive which is perfectly legal. Eventually I had letter from DVLA stating it was OK to drive. Whilst waiting for DVLA reply you must seek advice from GP. You must not drive unless you notify DVLA.

I am back driving as normal and no problems except for today because its flaming snowing!!!! :roll:

Cheers

John

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We had to with our motor policy.....the Insurance Company put the details of my SAH and the DVLA decision onto their records....there wasn't any premium increase...but they said that they needed to know.

It's better to check with the Insurance company, rather than find out that you're not insured if you needed to claim.

Love K x

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you've ever tried to claim on an insurance policy.....you will know that they will do their best not to pay out....it's better to talk to them and put them in the picture, rather then have problems with any claim later on...they make their money by finding loopholes.....

Love K xx

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi everybody

The experts may give conflicting advice but you can bet your bottom dollar if you had an accident due to any brain condition and you hadn't told them they wouldn't pay out. I am not going to advise anyone to notify insurance company in case they charge extra but I know what I would do and have done.

It cost me nothing and its all down in black and white. Happy Motoring. Anybody in the group worked in insurance and can enlighten us further?

Cheers

John

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi John,

I totally agree with you....it's worth contacting them in case of any future problems with a claim.....so any of your guys reading this, that haven't contacted your motor insurance company, it might be worth doing so....

When Eric contacted, I think it was Esure....he was put through to an Indian call centre......can you imagine them trying to understand Subarachnoid Haemorrhage....let alone spell it??? Think that there was frustration on all sides!....but saying that, they did sort everything out and we had a confirmation letter in the post, to confirm that their records had been updated and that the premium would remain the same.

Love K xx

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Well I didn't have a fit so I was told by Southampton General no driving for 3 months which I passed on to DVLA voluntarily.

That seems a good way to do it so I am told.

I was back driving after 3 months but my GP approved that when I visited him before going back to work.

You need to give the DVLA about a months notice that you are intending to drive again..they did check things out I believe but I hadn't given much notice so I phoned them-They said verbally that I could carry on because I had sent them my licence voluntarily.

If you have afit then I am told 12 months is standard for no driving.

You must tell your insurer as it is a change in health which could render your policy invalid if you don't and had an accident at any time!

My insurer was fine and I didn't get an increase in my premium.

The other issue is having to declare this on your travel insurance-that was a pain because I was told I was unlikely to get a recurrence.

15 months later we went to Disneyland Paris and I had to pay an extra £30 for the priviledge..I thought that was a rip off!

But..better safe than sorry-I wouldn't want problems if I needed to be flown back or something.

Also the E111 should cover most things..but still I felt easier having declared it.

Mind you-how long will that go on I wonder????

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi All

My surgeon and GP both told me I must surrender my licence and, depending on whose desk it landed (which they translated to "jobsworth or not") would depend on how quickly it could be returned. I got a very nice letter back saying "thanks for being a responsible citizen" but have heard nothing since so have sent a re-application.

I'm not sure if my concentration is good enough for me to be driving yet - Fiona says she'll be staying off the roads if I do!!!! But seriously I don't quite feel ready in myself yet but would like my licence back for such time as I do.

Sarah x

:roll:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey Sarah

Know what you mean. I go tmy licence back in December - I had my SAH in August. They said that the only reason I would need to contact them was if I had a recurrence or a blackout/seizure. I felt the same about getting behind the wheel again - especially as the evenings were still dark and I din't know how I'd cope with rush hour and headlights but I surprised myself and am now probably a better and calmer driver than I was before. I took my care out for a little spin around the local area before going onto the main roads and getting into rush hour traffic but now I'm fine.

Like everything else with the SAH, take it slowly and do it in your own time. Only you can truly say when you think you will be ready to drive again and don't be pressured.

TTFN

Sami xxx

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was told 6months, I still haven't contacted DVLA as yet but my GP said 6months. I didn't have seizures but did have hydracephelus (probably not spelled right but fluid on the brain).

Aine

If you had a shunt inserted you'll probably have to wait 12months if my experience is anything to go by. DVLA said that I had to go a year fit free after brain surgery (which having a shunt inserted is counted as). Still with the conflicting advice we're all getting it might be worth speaking to someone at DVLA and getting them to put it in writing.

Scott

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi

Reading the guidance document I linked to earlier, there's no time specified for SAH and coiling other than "clinically recovered".

If you have a shunt, then it's recommended 6 months off driving but it's up to the doctors at the end of the day.

If you've had fits or seizures, then it seems to be a whole lot different.

In any event you are legally entitled to drive whilst waiting for the DVLA decision as long as it's not against medical advice (Section 88, Road Traffic Act, 1988)

Regards

Keith

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hiya,

The nerve palsy to my right eye was also taken into consideration + seizures...I suppose that each person's level of disability after the SAH makes a difference as well and these factors add up to how long you can't drive. I was extremely lucky only having to wait for 3 months before I could drive, think that the hospital were also shocked by the DVLA's decision. I was expecting not to be able to drive for 12 months.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Scott, I just haven't got around to contacting DVLA apparently I don't have a shunt, I did think I had one til the consultant corrected me I have an "access device" Haven't a clue about it it just a wee plastic bump at the top of my head. Will let you know when I get definite info back.

Ta Aine

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

HI ALL

I was told not to drive for 6 months after both my ops? I was absolutely gutted as i had just bought a nearly new car on the friday as i had my sah on the following monday-had to keep it in father-in-laws garage for a year??

BIG AL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...