disorientation after holiday

Hi

This is a bit of a weird question but I know it's ok to ask anything on this forum! Since my SAH I've been abroad on holiday twice and have been fine when I've been there but on coming home I've felt awful for a good few days - a feeling of general disorientation, anxiety, unsteadiness and overwhelming fatigue and have had to spend one or two days in bed.

My holidays were not too far - only France first time and Morocco second time so it can't really be jetlag. I've never had this before after holidays only since my SAH. It's quite a horrible feeling.

Has anyone else experienced it?

Sorry if this is a silly question!

With best wishes

Anne x

Having flown back on a ten hour flight from BC Canada today, I feel qualified to answer this. We don't realise how much pressure from travel we put on our 'energies' - it is our energy that takes a massive knock. I didn't know I was feeling disorientated until I visited a cranialsacral therapist in Canada who said "it feels like you've suffered a car crash, like you have a bad case of measles on that rt side of your brain...feels mushy!" She set about re-balancing and restoring my energy balance, which immediately led to a complete collapse in to sleep. A second visit followed where she mentioned that my head and body were separated - & yes, I could identify with this also, it was disorientation and chronic tiredness and my brain ruling and stubbornly refusing to listen.

It throws a light on what impact travel has on our energies, and being as we now are, we're much more sensitive to its effects.

Try not to fight the fatigue Anne, rest and drink plenty, and if things are bad, my advice would be to visit a CranioSacral Therapist.

Good Luck!

Hi Anne :) I have flown and always feel very tired afterwards.....sometimes takes a week to get over it....a bit like if you have a very late night, can take a few days to recover. Rest up and take care....if persists go and see your GP. Take care Love Tina xx

Hi Anne

I can relate to this. As yet I haven't ventured flying further than to London or Birmingham but I know that I will have go to bed and sleep when I get there and do nothing the day after. We've used airmile points so that I can go into the business class lounge to wait which is much quieter but these are all used up now! We travelled to the south of England by car last Autumn and had orgnanised stop offs on the way there and on the way back. But I was still whacked! The fatigued grumbled on when I came back and it took a couple of weeks for me to recover. When I went back to work I was disorientated and it took a couple of days for things to settle back down again. My colleagues noticed that I was a bit out of sorts. So I know now that I have to allow more time for me to recover when I return from time away.

I have no desire to travel abroad at the moment because of this. I know being in busy noisy airports will take too much out of me. It's a pity that they don't have a quiet area for people like us. a 10 hour flight is way beyond me at the moment, well done Anya! But I'm sure in time this will change and I will be more able to cope with these things. It's certainly on my list of things that I need to do, so maybe next year.

This is very interesting! And well done Anya for venturing so far away :)

So far, I'm only 14 months in, I haven't felt inclined to go anywhere. I just knew I didn't have the energy. I really want to go and visit my mum in Normandy, and I'm trying to work out the easiest way to get there. Before, we'd go to Paris on the Eurostar, borrow the car from my sis and drive 3 hours to my mum's. I now know this is impossible as I haven't even driven since the SAH (we don't have a car).

I was going to go in February but I am glad I didn't try. The thing holding me back is that I know I will have to sleep when I get there and won't be up to much. Then I'll have to get back, and that's going to be exhausting too! I am thinking about getting the night ferry because that way I can break the journey up into 3 parts - train to Portsmouth, sleep in a cabin, get picked up by taxi in the morning.... There's no way I could get on a plane and fly for hours to go somewhere further afield.

Interesting to see that I'm not alone though!

Hi Anne, within 6 months post op I flew regularly to Switzerland and although it was only an hours flight I felt exhausted afterwards. The whole journey ie ;going to the airport waiting at the terminal check in then waiting to board takes its toll.

The noises and the lights etc all sap our energy under normal circumstances little wonder we feel so drained!

I would definitely get checjked out by the doctor to rule out any other possibilities but try not to worry.

Flying dehydrates us so much so liken Annya said drink plenty.

Try not to be too anxious you'll be fine and dandy soon i've no doubt but go get chkd to be safe!

Hugs and wishes for a feel good day soon!

I was wondering how flying affects us after SAH. Did anyone who's flown have pain or starnge feelings in their head during or after the flight? I was going to fly to France Saturday (almost 4 months post coiling), but whimped out and we're driving instead!

Agree about exhaustion after travelling - went to my uncles 60th party & it took 4 days to recover from the travelling. He lives about 4 hours away, we stayed for the weekend. Was tired most of the time:frown:

quote_icon.png

Originally Posted by
Juliette
viewpost-right.png

I was wondering how flying affects us after SAH. Did anyone who's flown have pain or starnge feelings in their head during or after the flight?

Like Penny I have never felt anything different and have been fine!

I've only flown to Las Vegas and back which is not very far for me. About a 3 hour flight. The Victoria airport is quite small and not so noisy. The Las Vegas airport was loud and very busy both at arrivals and departures. I did ok, it was 3 months after my NASAH but needed a lay down upon arrival and it took over a week to recover when I got home.

The actual flight was fine, no weird feelings in my head.

I'm trying again at the 1 year mark. Flying to Cancun and that's more like an 8 - 10 hour flight. That will be a test! But I can lay on the beach and listen to the waves lap up. I think I'll be able to handle that!! :biggrin:

Sandi K. Xox

Thanks for all your replies. I'm starting to feel "normal" again. I think it must have been exhaustion which caused the disorientation and I'll have to allow for more time to recover in future. I still find it hard to factor in the fact I get tired more easily.

I must admit I didn't venture out of Edinburgh until about 9 months after my SAH (and even then, only the length of Glasgow on the train) and it took me about 18 months before I plucked up the courage to fly over to see family in Belfast.

Warm wishes

Anne

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't ventured out at all...To much noise, hassle, etc. Have visited my parents in the south of the Netherlands twice and that was a big ordeal. After atrip to Maastricht ( 3 hours) almost 3 weeks ago, I'm only just settling back in my normal routine...

Dreaming of flying to Edinburgh when I feel up to it... The city we got married in a year and a half ago next sunday...

Hi

I have just returned from florida which was a 9 hour flight out and 7 1/2 hour flight home. I found it better than i thought i would feel. I did get an awful lot of pressure in the back of my head and right ear on journey out which i have never experienced before. But luckily it didnt happen on flight home. I did find it quite a lot in the airport with al the waiting and noise but managed to sit and relax and read. It also helped that we knew the routine and airport layout,so it felt familiar. Overall since being back normal jetlag from a long flight but ok. 2 days after arriving in florida i did feel very weird like i wanted to collapse, i think it was a mixture of jetlag, relief of finally getting there and heat.

But we are already booking the next holiday

Traci S xxxx