massage and blood donation.

Hi all,

have not been on for some time as life is busy. Mark as you will know had his NSAH in 2009 and i can say at the moment he is quite relaxed and calm.. He has gone back to getting fit again and doing the weights which he was doing when his head went pop. (that is how we refer to it). To cut out on his headaches he is not drinking as much caffeine.

Anyway i have a couple of questions. Is Mark able to have a massage?

Also he went to give blood last year but they said he will not be able to donate any blood anymore due to his NSAH. Does anyone know why?

Hope all are well

Di. x:-D

Hi there

Good to hear things are good, massage? I havent but know some on here that have, if your not sure ask the GP no harm in asking is there..

I was told that I couldnt donate blood now either...

Hi Di,

The following link may help re: bloods - http://www.behindthegray.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?5643-Blood-donors-Blood-donation-post-SAH

There are other posts on here re: massage if you do a quick search. A massage will increase the blood flow, hence putting more pressure on arteries, as the blood is pumping around a lot faster than normal ... A decent or should I say registered masseur should ask you if you have any health implications such as having a SAH....if they don't then I wouldn't go to them. xx

Hi!

I've had 3 or 4 massages from an RMT (registered massage therapist) in the last few months. She works out of my chiropractors office and the two of them have had conversations about me and my NASAH and they treat me with that in mind. The RMT doesn't do much around my neck, she really focuses in the area around my spine because of the 'lumps' of pain I feel there and when I was experiencing massive fatigue she would work the 'concrete' out of my arms and legs. It was heavenly and I would feel like the duct tape had been removed from around my arms and they felt light enough to lift again.

Double check with you GP and ensure you have an RMT and tell them about the SAH.

Sandi K.

Hi all,

have not been on for some time as life is busy. Mark as you will know had his NSAH in 2009 and i can say at the moment he is quite relaxed and calm.. He has gone back to getting fit again and doing the weights which he was doing when his head went pop. (that is how we refer to it). To cut out on his headaches he is not drinking as much caffeine.

Anyway i have a couple of questions. Is Mark able to have a massage?

Also he went to give blood last year but they said he will not be able to donate any blood anymore due to his NSAH. Does anyone know why?

Hope all are well

Hi, quick question...was his bleed non aneurysmal ? Also, if it was, did his doctor advise him that resuming lifting weights would be okay ?

yes his was a NASAH and the docs did say to take it steady but he is doing ok. Mark has had an mri which has ruled out the smallest aneurysm so he is discharged from the hospital now. i do still get a bit worried but cannot do any more than i am doing.

Di xx

Waterball - The issue of massages has recently become of interest to me. It is known that neck manipulation and trauma of neck ateries can cause subarachnoid hemorrhages and hematomas.

Here is a great research paper written by one of the worlds leading experts on non aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhages and his theory that "intramural hematomas" are a cause of some of the non aneurysmal bleeds.

http://171.67.112.83/content/75/11/1169.full.pdf+html

The reason why I found this so interesting was because a few weeks prior to my bleed I had a massage and the person was very rough with my neck, to the point where twice I told them to stop.

Its well documented in medical literature that even minor trauma like a rough massage can cause damage to ateries and vessels.

Here is another studt abstract that deals with a similar scenario. A man was put in a headlock while wrestling and it caused a perimesencephalic subarachnoid hemorrhage.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19057284

Edited by Surfer34

Hi

I was interested to read this thread as I just had a neck and shoulder deep tissue massage at the weekend.

On the day I had my SAH, I had a sore right side of neck. At night my aneurysm ruptured. Since my SAH the muscle on the right side of my neck is periodically sore and this gives me headaches. My GP doesn't think my sore neck is related to my SAH but thinks it's tension and at the time my neurologist didn't know for sure.

I have booked a further 2 deep tissue massages to try to relieve the tension in my shoulders and neck but now am a bit concerned.:shock:

Nothing seems safe any more!

Love

Anne x

Surfer34,

It's not safe to say anything about individual cases based on research papers. Everyone on here are individuals and every case is different. Research is all very well and is vital for the medical profession to gain an understanding of SAH, but this site is about support and understanding real people, not about misleading people with medical jargon and statistics. That's best left to the medical professionals.

I was told by the registrar that massage is fine as long as you warn them in advance of your SAH, A properly qualified massuese would know which areas to avoid, the benefits of being relaxed outweigh those of the dangers she said.Personally I would avoid deep tissue massage but then I have a problem with the muscle from my hip to my groin which affects my back & I wouldn't want them to touch there!

Hi Di,

The following link may help re: bloods - http://www.behindthegray.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?5643-Blood-donors-Blood-donation-post-SAH

There are other posts on here re: massage if you do a quick search. A massage will increase the blood flow, hence putting more pressure on arteries, as the blood is pumping around a lot faster than normal ... A decent or should I say registered masseur should ask you if you have any health implications such as having a SAH....if they don't then I wouldn't go to them. xx[/quote

Karen just had to say when I see your posts you are always a help to others...so on behalf of us all TQ

Oops forgot to mention Bogbrush another helpful person so Tq oh and so sensible also !!!!!

Regards and many thanks

WinB

Edited by Winb143