DVLA doctor's assessment

DawnS

Afternoon :-D

I've had a letter from the DVLA this week, yay! They want me to attend a docotor's assessment to see if I'm ok to drive again. The first appointment I can get is the 29th of March. I asked the receptionist how long it might take as I need to book it around my partner's shifts - she said oh, only about half an hour, we mainly need to take blood. Blood?? To assess whether or not I can drive?

Has anyone else had this assessment? What should I expect?

I had a letter from the surgery this morning telling me I will have to pay £96 for the privilege :shock: The DVLA assure me that the bill is theirs to pay, phew! :hand:

Dawn x

That's strange - what would they be checking for on the blood I wonder? That's upset me a bit now - I don't want to look forward to another blood test as they always have problems getting any blood out of me and always have to try several times. I come out traumatised :-( I was told they just go with what your doctor recommends?! I sent my info to DVLA last week. How long has it taken you to get a reply from when you first sent in your paperwork?

Nic :frown:

xx

Hi Dawn,

This is just a thought....but are you on anti seizure medication since SAH? I only ask as I've wondered myself if they do blood tests to check that you are taking them. I could be completely wrong but it would be interesting to find out. Are you able to ring the same place again and ask them to clarify what the blood test is for? It does seem a bit odd?

Michelle x

Michelle, I don't take any medication apart from antihistamines. But i see, yes they could be checking couldn't they? That would make sense. I will be calling them yes, because they've sent me a letter stating that I've to pay £96 on the day! The DVLA assure me that the bill is theirs but the surgery was closed when I tried to call at 14:30. Another job for tomorrow then.

Nic, I told the DVLA within a month of getting home (I think, poor memory). They wrote to me 3 months later to tell me they would write to me and not to phone them, honestly that's what the letter said! Then again a month later to say that they had written to my consultant and received no reply, but again please don't phone. The letter asking me to go to the doctor came last week. They are painfully slow, so don't hold your breath!

To begin with, I didn't mind the lack of response because I didn't feel like i should be driving anyway, but now...well now I think I could!

Edited by DawnS

I actually nagged them on an almost weekly basis as I didn't want to drive until I got the all clear. I was told my licence was never revoked & i could drive up until they made any decision otherwise. I had actually sent them my licence & it took a couple of reminders to get it sent back once i was given the all clear

I informed DVLA that i had suffered SAH as my Dr advised me to. I didn't hear anything from them .... 6-8 wks post SAH my GP said I could drive short journeys and build it up from there.

I received a letter from DVLA end of Jan this year informing me they had recieved medical info from consultant and were in the process of assessing my fitness to drive ... I've been driving for the last couple of months.

My take on it is that they never actually told me I CAN'T drive and my licience was not taken from me. So until they tell me otherwise I shall continue to drive. Any come back and I'll blame my GP for telling me I can drive!! :wink:

Have to admit tho, the first time back behind the wheel was scarey .... you forget how much concentration it takes to drive, another 'normal' day to day task taken for granted and the realisation that something serious really did occur inside your head. Now its second nature again which is another box ticked on the road to recovery.

:-D

Dawn I informed them last January that I had been advised not to drive due to suspected epilepsy (I didn't info them after SAH in 2008 but my licence expired last year & I had to declare (or lie) about any brain surgeries - SAH is specifically listed on the renewal form. I got the same letter about them writing to consultant & not getting a reply :roll:

They are VERY slow. The revoked my licence in May 2011, months after I info'd them meaning I haven't been allowed to drive for 16 months by the time DVLAs '12' months are up :frown: But just to cheer you up - they sent me a brand new shiny licence 2 weeks later????? Obviously, I know that I wasn't allowed to drive even with my shiny new card but I do feel your frustration with them.

It is hard to be patient and I know your bus times & location cause the same problems as mine (I have had many, many tears & tantrums over it and it's not over yet) but you WILL get this sorted out & try not to let it get you down & make you ill in the mean time.

Michelle xx

I've just spoken to DVLA and they told me that they were still processing my form which notified them of my SAH and it may take many weeks. I asked if my doctors said it was OK to drive, were they OK with it - as I needed to drive to work. They confirmed they were happy if the doctor has signed me off as being OK to drive. I've also asked them to send this in writing just in case (I'm not the trusting sort! LOL).

Nic

x

I submitted my licence to the DVLA & it was only after several phonecalls that they told me they had never actually revoked my licence & I could continue to drive until a decision was made otherwise. Backwards logic to me but Ididn't actually drive until I got my official all clear whice mainly took some 5 months. As SBN says it seems to be up to your GP as although my eye cons wrote to the DVLA I had to get the neuro & eye cons to write to my gp as she was concerned with the specific wording on anyurisms which can be very ambiguous. Once my GP was onside it was a done deal other than informing the car Ins people which again seems mad cos they don't keep a record of it but by law we have to jump through the hoops.

I thought I could drive right from after coming home but for my own peace of mind I had 2 refresher lessons with driving instructor friend & if she was happy then so was I. With having single vision my main problem is estimating distance but as it always tend to be under than over that is the safer option!!

• 1 month later...

Hiya, a little update...

I had my assessment yesterday and they did not take blood at all so I don't know why I was told that they would.

The doctor checked that I have no weakness on my right side and did lots of memory tests, spelling words backwards etc. I had to write one sentence on a piece of blank paper and the only thing I stumbled on was a driving-related question, typical! He asked what comes after an amber light, I said green and he just looked at me, so I said it must be red then! He seemed to find it amusing but he made it very clear that he could not advise me in any way as to what the outcome would be, I've to wait for the dvla. I feel quite positive though and I think I'm ready to drive now whereas a few weeks back I would not have thought so.

Well done Dawn :-D

I had to picture traffic lights in my head after reading that to work out what colour was next :oops: I know the answer to most questions, I just need to stop and think it through :lol: Hope I don't have the same test as you......

Fingers crossed you hear soon and good luck, I know how much it means to you

Michelle xx