Executive Dysfunction

Has anyone suffered this after an SAH or stroke? Or is or has anyone cared for someone with this condition?

I ask as my partner has this condition at the moment after an SAH. He is in recovery and is improving but wondered how others coped or are coping?

Hi Alison,

I look forward to reading replies to this thread. I think this is what my psychologist was suggesting I have too. I struggle to understand all the terminology they use, but think it's got something to do with being unable to plan and organise things. I definitely feel lacking in that department, so wouldn't disagree with her there. Have they offered you any translation in normal everyday language that could help to make it easier to understand?

I hope someone can come in soon and help here.

If I have to sort things out for particular occasion or event, I can pull things needing done out of my head at sporadic intervals in the run up to it. However I never seem able to actually arrange it all in my head at one time. My husband is becoming used to this now and regularly checks how any arrangements are going in days leading up to the deadline.

My daughters birthday is tomorrow and I have sorted all the decorations and presents gradually over the last 2 weeks. Am not aware of anything being forgotten and hopefully will find I got it right in the morning.

I will be watching this thread with interest now. Thanks for posting it.

Take care, hope Chris is doing well at home.

Sally. xx

Alison, I have looked up the definitoin (SP?????????) and nope not me. But I have words issues, spelling, reading, can't organize a project to save my soul, including reading these post and repsonding or reading & understanding a recipes. I use to be able to multi task and can't now or don;t care to. I may be starting to become kind of mean....... ignorant life sucking people / clients I want to fire. I just don't care and can't stand people that obcess on BS. Nope I do not have Excuctive Dysfunction but I have something!

Good lUck, Mary

Hi Alison, yes, I have been diagnosed with executive dysfunction too. Because I have it I can,t clearly explain what it means. It was explained to me that it is to do with planning, organising and thought processes. I think there was something about being able to arrive at a decision but being unable to explain how you came to that decision. I,m sorry, my explanation probably doesn't,t make much sense but I googled it when I was told and found a list of things that the phrase covers, maybe you do that too?

Michelle xx[/u]

I would say only partially for me, I can plan & cook a meal, plan & make a card but when it comes to dates & times I am terribly confused (also with numbers & money on the odd occasion). Yesterday I signed & dated a cheque April! I have been to the hairdressers a day early & been a day late too. My friends birthday is Valentines day but I wrote it on the calender as the 15th Feb!! I constantly have to check the dates I put on the calander especially for school as I lose or gain a day in transferring them over :-(

Alison hi again

Me going shopping or out ...Reaady then I'll begin lol

Hubby "where do you want to go ?"...Me "Anywhere" (in other words just get me out of the house)

Hubby " You say".......Me "okay lets get dinner and have Iunch out "(hubby is a man of few words)

Hubby "where" .......Me ~ I name 3 places

Hubby "Naa" Inside I am grrrring .."okay you say Al"....Hubby "No it's your day out" but by thiis time it's pushing late afternoon. arghhh

He says I must make decisions but he blocks them all..But I love him still xxx

Be Well Alison

Love

WinB143 xxxxxxxxx

Thanks for your replies :) well as far asa I know its to do with emotions and planning and organizing. Now Chris is generally easy to care for but his impatience is extreme, he can appear as very selfish at the moment, I understand its all part of his condition right now tho, he has a strange danger sense too because he has a piece of skull missing at the moment and around the house he is aware he has to be careful and now he keeps wanting to go out on his bike, which leads to a row. I hate arguing cos he so poorly but he refuses to listen and says its up to him and if he wants to go he will. Now we went for a walk yesterday and he was bumping into things on his left and he even went to step out in front of car to cross the road, if he thinks I am letting him out on his bike he can think again but I am worried sick about this to be honest. He thinks I am controlling his life and does not seem to realise that it would (terribly dangerous

hi alison

i understand where chris is coming from he dosnt see the dangers through but also he may not be able to retain anything said to him in respect of the dangers have a word with the phyiso's at the hospital and ask if the would supply a head cover its like a cycle helment but made skelital to protect the crainiotomy site untill he has it replaced this may make him realise the risk's he is taking

well today an OT and a speech therapist came to see Chris. He was the most charming man in the world to them. They had a good chat with him about therapy and what help they could offer. At this moment Chris is very reluctant to do therapy at all, he thinks laying in bed for 2 weeks will cure him completely. I have asked them to stay in touch with me, which they will do, and i am going to try gently to get Chris to let them work with him. Chris was stubborn before his event and now its very different because he cant always see how poorly he still is. Saying that tho, when the OT and ST were chatting with him, he did say he often thinks he is better than he is, and we all spoke about him going out on his bike and he even admitted it would be madness right now and explained that its hard to just to sit back and not do the stuff he did before.Chris was very active, he never sat still so i see his frustration totally.

So hopefully over the next weeks with lots of talking and asking Chris questions about why he feels this and that I hope we can make steps towards getting some more of his old self back. I think with the OT and ST stressing that he only has a bone flap on his right front side and any knocks is going to be pretty awful was better than me harping on about it and if it truly sunk in, i dont know but i hope so.

thank you for all your words of advice, always good as usual. Chris does not drive so thankfully that is not a prob, just his beloved push bike. Also he does have a safety helmet from the hosp but he is so reluctant to wear it.

Overall Chris has really come a long way, i try to focus always on what he can do and not what he cant. I knew life would be tough when he came home, but he is here alive and kicking and it could have so easily been so different so i am thankful I have Chris here, i love him very much and we will get there :)

Hey no problem Michelle thank you for trying to help :) i am very appreciative of all help always :)

the ladies that came today thought it was a motorbike too lol! so no worries ever :)

Chris is in the bath now, he asked me 138 times if it was ready as I was running it...chuckles!!

hugs to everyone xx huggles xx

I'm sorry Alison, that you have to deal with this. It's got to be so hard to watch someone you love with so much dysfunction, even if you know it's going to be better at some point. Is there anyone who can help? Someone in his life who could talk to him (or come and "steal" the bike, thus ending the discussion). Hey, that might not be a bad idea.

I understand his desire, although my dysfunction isn't near what his is. I can't imagine getting on a bike, though.

Bless you and reach out as you need to. People want to help,so let them them.