Help from our four legged friends

Hi ,

During my recovery period. When I came home my husband had to go back to work. Our dog just knew I was not too well and he would stay with me on the bed, for most of the day, till Hubby finished work. I will never forget how Ash help me during those days.

I think thats why I will never ever put him in kennels. I always find a place to go on holiday where I can take him with us. He's my special boy.

Love Sonia xxxxxx

Hi,

Like Sonia & her dog Ash, my dog has been so much help to me since my SAH. They seem to know that you are ill & moderate their behaviour to accommodate you. My dog is a mental Border Collie but became very sedate & walked slowly by my side, checking on me every few steps when I was first ill. She still helps me now when we are on uneven ground - I put her on her lead so that she can drag me uphill, over shingles or whatever we come across. She is still a nightmare on her lead when we are on even ground & I'm managing quite well without any help! She also helps when I feel sad, she will sit in front of me with her head on my lap looking at me even before the tears start. It might sound silly but sometimes that understanding & love is what I need, rather than having to explain to another person why I feel bad that day.

The only down side would be that she is getting older & has bad legs. Whilst I would love to get another dog now the sensible part of my brain accepts that it may not be the best thing to do. A new dog would not understand that some days I am not fit to walk them. I have family who help out & it perhaps wouldn't be fair on them to say 'hey I got another dog for you to help me walk'. I also find that when I am out with her walking or using the bus, people make a fuss of her and ask questions about her, this is good as I would probably not choose to interact without her being used as a talking point and would spend many days without any social interaction.

It's a good idea to research any breed of dog if you are thinking of getting one. There will always be one that fits in with your lifestyle and for me the unquestioning love & support has been invaluable. The naughty antics which have me laughing have been great too!

Michelle x

Michelle,

No it is quite the opposite I too have a wonderful understanding 7 yr old Border Collie and can relate to all of what you said, My SAH was 22 yrs ago come tomorrow yes my re-birthday and I have always had Border Collies throughout my SAH and recovery.

This is her here.

ella006-1.jpg

We are so in tune with each other it is truly amazing.

I am in bed right now at 3:30 in the afternoon with Dot sleeping on me. I have a horrible headache that nothing is touching. She has been here for me throughout my recovery. I have three dogs and we love them all dearly, but Dot my 5 pound chihuahua/Chinese crested/muppet/gremlin mix is my joy puppy. When I was in the hospital my husband would Skype me when he got home so I could see the dogs. He even smuggled her in once I was out of CCU. I sobbed, I was so happy to see her and I think Roy shed a few tears too.

When I have fallen my dogs have been there for me. Dash, my pit bull mix, will let me use him to get back up. Dot will sit on my walker when I would take it for walks. He will also try to make me laugh when I'm sad and will drop his favorite toy in my lap when it appears I need some "Wubbie time".

I couldn't imagine my life without dogs.

6903755304_23e6099907_d.jpg

This is my Dot. Five pounds of sheer joy.

Yes my dogs have helped a great deal. They always have an eye on me to see if I am heading to the couch in the other room..Really funny. So does one of our cats - she is dog like. The only time it was really bad is about a month after SAH I was standing in kitchen and my foot broke. Just broke by standing there. SO it was hard to keep them off me while I had my foot elevated. I had to wear a brace / cast for 6 weeks and I finally found a way to let them get back on me when I sleep/ rested. ALSO at work as I have stated before that working at a small animal vet clinic I am amazed how fast I was able to handle dogs alone again. I was able to draw blood on at least 1/2 the dogs again by myself with the owner just holding the head - I think the dogs were aware of my brain issues as I could walk in and scoop up a mean dog and do stuff and then find out he normally bites us. Now had I not had an SAH I would of read the chart first! ALso I don't have fear - I don't have that emontion. I have common sense but my "fear" is broken. Dogs sense fear and if you are anxious or fearful you may as well go home. My startle reflex is high but fear is not there. I had a great sense of respect while working a a pit bull who had his face "***** Slapped/scratched bad by a cat today that he shook. But not fear- but I did not trust him one bit. It is different.

Also I have seen so many people adopt older dogs and they get such great joy out of older pets. I do not think I could do a puppy right now unless I had some miracle cure - but many older dogs need homes and companions just like we need that special lift from a 4 legged friend. I see myself givng a few good years to older dogs some day. So they can spend their last days in a wonderful home beign loved instead of euthanized or left at a rescue site.

Edited by MaryB

I definitely think that animals help .... Bailey was a gentle dog ... pretty demanding with his needs, but a gentle soul and someone that helped to get my butt off the settee or out of bed in my early days, to take him for a walk around the block. I think that all animals are pretty good therapy! :-D The photo shows Bailey on a Christmas day with a party hat from a cracker on his head.... bless him...:-D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1622[/ATTACH]

I can relate to this massively.

I recently moved to live with my partner and he has a cat, called LeBon!

Obviously, I started to know and love LeBon during my relationship with my boyfriend, but now, the three of us live together!

It has been commented by family members how the cat has improved my emotional health; obviously assisted by the fact that I am a cat lover.

I am very preoccupied with her, which has provided a healthy distraction to my own problems. I like ensuring that her environment is close to perfect, (nearly wrote purr-fect then, but thought that it would be a bit sad!) I also give her lots and lots of attention and affection. Snuggling up to her and hearing her purr is beautiful. People also say that the cat, through having constant company in the day now, seems to be happier! She has a little spring in her step, communicates more and is developing some spoilt attitudes, for which I take full responsibility.

She doesn’t however quite grasp my need to nap in the day and it can be inconvenient for her if this overlaps with her mealtimes! I am nevertheless reminded of my chore when I am awoken by her sitting on my chest, nose to nose, with her paws gently padding my neck.

I think that it is well established that pets can help with depression and I do believe that LeBon has enhanced my emotional well -being.

p.s. what a lovely little thread this is; and I don't think it's been mentioned before..... Not since I've been a member anyway.

Our dog new I was ill months before my aneurysm ruptured. She's usually a very well behaved (and lazy!) dog and very seldom barks. She knows upstairs is our area and she's not allowed to go there. Also when you come through the door she just lifts her head, has a look and goes back to sleep. Her bed is her very favourite place.

But for months before, she had taken to sleeping outside of our bedroom door at night. When I came home from work she would launch herself at me, barking and did seem relieved I was back. In the evenings she started to sleep on the floor at my feet and would follow me around everywhere. We were starting to worry that there was something wrong with her and decided to get her checked over with the vet. I got sick in between this and it was the vet that mentioned that she would have been aware that all was not well with me! My neighbour said that she would howl and whimper during the day, when my husband went to visit me in the hospital and he said she was hardly eating.

She watched me like a hawk when I came home from hospital and continued to sleep outside the bedroom door for months. She still has periods when she'll sit at my feet, follow me around and go back to sleeping outside the bedroom. This un-nerves my husband and he keeps a closer eye on me. But I think she's aware that the fatigue is about to hit and just keeps watch. They are very smart our furry friends!

Edited by Liz D

Yes, very nice thread!!!

Like Liz, I'm sure my dog was very aware that something was not quite right with me.

The day my brain blew, my Emmett had been following me around the house while I was getting ready for work. So much so that he was underfoot and I nearly tripped over him several times. He sat at my feet while I was putting my make up on, he whimpered and stared at me.

I too, thought something was wrong with him!!! I seriously contemplated calling in sick from work, thinking I'd better get Emmett to the vet. His behavior was strange and kind of freaked me out :shocked:

I second guessed myself and decided to go to work, that I was being silly - after all, Emmett hadn't been sick so...

I'm glad that I was at work, with people to help me, when the annie blew!

When I came home from the hospital, Emmett stayed next to me 24/7 for many weeks. Slept at my feet and followed me everywhere I went. My cat, Benny, also kept close watch and slept wherever he wanted (that's how cats are :lol:) on whatever body part I would allow.

When I'm having a down day or teary times, Emmett, I believe, attempts to cheer me up. He'll suddenly roll on his back and try to bite his tail. Then he'll jump up and chase his tail for a while, looking at me inbetween each try. He does make me laugh.

I love my animals!

I truly believe a pets unconditional love for us helps us to heal faster. There is def something theraputic & calming about stroking an animal especially a purring cat, they use pets in old peoples homes for that reason. It also gives us something else to think about & feel responsible for when we might only be thinking about how we are feeling & what we have gone through. My cats were more scared of Nathan so very rarely came to fuss over me but Heathcliffe was def more cuddly in the last year or so poor old boy.

I can relate to this massively.

I recently moved to live with my partner and he has a cat, called LeBon!

Obviously, I started to know and love LeBon during my relationship with my boyfriend, but now, the three of us live together!

It has been commented by family members how the cat has improved my emotional health; obviously assisted by the fact that I am a cat lover.

I am very preoccupied with her, which has provided a healthy distraction to my own problems. I like ensuring that her environment is close to perfect, (nearly wrote purr-fect then, but thought that it would be a bit sad!) I also give her lots and lots of attention and affection. Snuggling up to her and hearing her purr is beautiful. People also say that the cat, through having constant company in the day now, seems to be happier! She has a little spring in her step, communicates more and is developing some spoilt attitudes, for which I take full responsibility.

She doesn’t however quite grasp my need to nap in the day and it can be inconvenient for her if this overlaps with her mealtimes! I am nevertheless reminded of my chore when I am awoken by her sitting on my chest, nose to nose, with her paws gently padding my neck.

I think that it is well established that pets can help with depression and I do believe that LeBon has enhanced my emotional well -being.

p.s. what a lovely little thread this is; and I don't think it's been mentioned before..... Not since I've been a member anyway.

Thank You Lin-lin I started this one because our pets are very important to us and do help a great deal so it is only right we discuss about them too and pass on any info we have about pets and there assistance that may help others

Kind Regards

I've just dealt with a 48 hour long headache (it's slightly better now, but dang I'm tired) and my Dot has been on me or beside me every moment. I've had a very sad day, but she's brought me her toys and made me laugh a number of times. I even took a little video of her because she was playing with one of the big dog toys and it was making me laugh. I was petting her today and got teary thinking about how much I have been blessed by this funny looking little dog! We got her on a whim when the man who had her threatened to dump her in the woods and a friend texted a few of us locals that she trusted and said "Emergency! We need someone to take this chihuahua mix TODAY!" I wasn't looking for a dog, I never wanted a small dog, I had two and they are great together. For some reason I said "We'll take her" (without talking to my husband, who said no...to which I replied, "Oh come on! We've been married for 25 years and you KNOW I always get my way! Im going to go call the guy.) Fifteen minutes later he's driving me to pick her up saying "Wait a minute, what just happened?"

I can't imagine going through this without her and the boys. What a lovely thread!

Cying here as I missed my dogs but didn't realise it until a year later after shunt fitted......they mump for food (Whats new)

They always sit by my chair and the oldest missed me telling her she has beauty ears, so my daughter had to show her Dad

what I did to Cassie (my unwanted mongrel) she is a beauty...But I have noticed Sadie my GSD has also got closer to me...

So I am loved by my dogs and they look after me ~ apart from their dinner time....

I love them so much

Love to All

WinB143 Love to all dogs and cats xxxxxxxxxx

My 15 year old Burmese cat, which can be seen in my photo gallery, is what I've been told is a medicine cat. The Burmese cats are more dog-like in their personalities and they shadow their owners around the house like a dog would.

My cat was originally bought by my mom as a companion for her late husband when he was terminally ill. She bought two from the litter and I ended up with them after her husband died in 2001. My other lovely Burmese died of cancer four years ago, so I just have the one - the only - Fang - yes, that's her name...

She is precious and was my constant lap companion from the moment I arrived home from the hospital. No laptop, book or meal tray will keep this animal off me. She bulldozes her way onto my lap and will not take no for an answer and she often bypassed my husband's available lap, once I came home. I think she knew that I was not well. Once she achieved the desired lap spot, she immediately breaks into a loud victory purr. I love her!

Nice topic as a lot of us have animal companions...

Sue

Love this thread!

I have a black and white moggy who I think was the runt of the litter as she is still the size of a large kitten at 5 years old! She would not leave me alone when I came out of hospital, slept on the sofa with me, followed me around etc.

I'm a big advocate for animal companionship - sometimes when you are exhausted and can't be doing with human conversation, animals are just simpler to be around!

Annie X

I've always said on here that my moggy knows my inner most secrets and frustrations about my SAH and recovery. I came out of hospital in the September and got Miffy in the December. She was battered and bruised from the RSPCA but really gave me all the attention and fuss I needed. She has ended up soaking wet on several occasions because i've been so emotional and she doesn't want to leave my lap at those points.

I must say as silly as it sounds but in my early stages of recovery Miffy was my hero, here 24 hours, 7 days a week. Don't get me wrong my hubby etc was amazing too but Miffy was there to counter balance the emotions and depression as well as the headaches etc. I don't know what I'd do without her!

• 1 month later...

I definitely can add to this, as my wife has been house bound since May 2011 and lost her driving license I couldnt definitely see she was losing her confidence and interest in life, so in January this year I finally gave in :-D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1694[/ATTACH]

My wife has been after one of these for ages - Rough Collie, named him Buddy - he's 8 months old now. He's brought back that smile that I missed so much. And your all right - they definitely take your mind off the problems that you just keep stewing over time & time again.

Only problem now is that it looks as if there will be 3 of us going on UK holidays in the future!

Edited by Karen
Image inserted