Advice on Clipping recovery

This may sound a little silly .. but ..Can anyone who had their SAH clipped tell me how long it was before they started/were comfortable lying on the affected area when they slept ?

Two and half months since i had mine done and i still sleep on the unaffected side only :oops:

Hi Nic

I was clipped over 2 years ago & as I remember I never had any problems sleeping on the affected side, mind you I think I slept mostly on my back in the hospital as the bed was so uncomfy!! I was also given amytriptaline every night so that probably helped.

If you have any irritation or soreness it would be wise to be checked over just in cast there is an underlying cause.

Hope that helps. xxx

Thanks for the advice bagpuss and SarahLou .

I guess it boils down to the individual and their own unique circumstances .

I'll be honest , the reason i asked is purely and simply because to the discomfort i feel in my right shoulder because im always laying on that side . I'll have to give laying on the other side a " dry run " in sleepless mode for half an hour or so to see how i get on !

SarahLou .... 2 years ! Thats an awfully long time , isnt there anything that can be done about that ?

P.S Apologies for asking the same question twice . I asked it in the " advice tips etc " section where all posts are , understandably , moderated before becoming visible . Mr impatient here posted once , ignored the advice , and posted a second time because i didnt have visibility of the first post immediately as it was being moderated .......... sorry :crazy:

Edited by Nic

Hi Nic,

You weren't whinging earlier, just voicing your concerns and questions.

Sorry, I was feeling very low and was very teary ealier so didn't give much of a supporting response.

I apologise for that.

Back in earlier days of recovery to attempt to sleep on my surgery side was a complete no no, it was just too painful.

The pains have eased over time but not enough that I feel comfortable enough to rest or sleep laying on that side.

Ive tried various pillows to try and help with comfort, the best being a V pillow. I've also a really soft foam one that's quite good. I've lots of others I've tried and ended up launching them out of the bedroom!!

I still don't sleep great and every single day I wake with bad head ache and temple pressure. It takes about an hour for them to ease so I get up in the mornings in my own time, keep the house dark etc.

Maybe you could give the V pillow a try, certainly helped me.

Again, I'm sorry for not giving a more thoughtful reply earlier.

My emotions are all over the place.

Take care,

SarahLou Xx

Edited by SarahLou

Hi, I do not know if it makes either of you feel better or worse but I was not clipped and my head is still tender sometimes so much I cannot find a pillow soft enough to lay on. I had a vertebal artery dissection, stoke occiptal lobe and a bleed on the other one, and SAh in my brain stem. I think when I think or do too much my head is tender (ODD?). I started having this happen again the past month. It went away and came back. I am going on 1 year now. Maryb

Hi Nic,

You weren't whinging earlier, just voicing your concerns and questions.

Sorry, I was feeling very low and was very teary ealier so didn't give much of a supporting response.

I apologise for that.

Back in earlier days of recovery to attempt to sleep on my surgery side was a complete no no, it was just too painful.

The pains have eased over time but not enough that I feel comfortable enough to rest or sleep laying on that side.

Ive tried various pillows to try and help with comfort, the best being a V pillow. I've also a really soft foam one that's quite good. I've lots of others I've tried and ended up launching them out of the bedroom!!

I still don't sleep great and every single day I wake with bad head ache and temple pressure. It takes about an hour for them to ease so I get up in the mornings in my own time, keep the house dark etc.

Maybe you could give the V pillow a try, certainly helped me.

Again, I'm sorry for not giving a more thoughtful reply earlier.

My emotions are all over the place.

Take care,

SarahLou Xx

Hi Sarah , thanks for that , but you have absolutely no reason to apologise . Your initial answer was exactly what i was looking for .

My initial reason for posting was a general query ref: the time it could potentially take before id be comfortably sleeping on both sides . The answer appears to be a conclusive " its down to individual circumstances " .

Please dont read too much into my " ill adapt in the way you have " response ..... i was , rather poorly , attempting to applaud the efforts youve made , which i now know more about , to adapt to and overcome whatever difficulties you have experienced . You have my total respect for what youve done and i only hope i can respond in the way you have and deal with it .

Thanks for your advice Sarah , take it easy , and keep going .

Hiya, I cant remember how long it was but it was quite a good few months woke up one morning on 'that side' & thought wow.

Hi,

It was the same for me as Louise.

One day I just woke up and thought "Oh!" because I had slept on my clipping side and the discomfort had not woken me up. However, sometimes it is still too uncomfortable for me to sleep on and I do wake up in the night having turned onto that side.

I guess we are all different and the best thing might be to find something to support your shoulder or try to sleep on your back until you can comfortably sleep on the clipping side.

I'm sorry there isn't a straight forward answer.

Best wishes,

Leo x

This may sound a little silly .. but ..Can anyone who had their SAH clipped tell me how long it was before they started/were comfortable lying on the affected area when they slept ?

Two and half months since i had mine done and i still sleep on the unaffected side only :oops:

Oh, and one more thing Nic - THERE ARE NO SILLY QUESTIONS! :wink:

Hi there I slept on the affected side whilst I was still in hospital which in my case was a very good thing considering just a few months later I had an op on the other side so I don't know what I would of done. Hope you find it more comfortable soon. Jess.xxx