travelling on a plane with aneurysm coiling..

Hi Guys!:-D

i had a aneurysm in 2009 aged 27,i was told this year that it is still bleeding (slowly..but still bleeding:shock:) so i have decided to try and forget this by going on holiday to the Philippines. but i have no idea if the coil will show up in a security scan?will i need a letter or certificate from my doctor? haha silly question i know! and is there any added risk in travelling with a aneurysm,like is there more of a risk of a rupture maybe?? any answers you can give me would be brilliant;-)..i cannot stop thinking about this and i have no idea also. thank you

First of all welcome to BTG, there is a mine of information on this site.

Hi, whether you will be able to go really depends on whether you can get travel insurance and medical OK. I suspect you will have to pay a hefty premium plus there will be a very large excess. The airline may also want a fit to travel letter from your doctor.

To travel within Europe may be easier to get insurance for.

Before you actually book check out if you can get appropriate insurance as it would be extremely foolish under any circumstances to go anywhere without it.

As for the coil, as far as I am aware it doesn't show up but I may be wrong, I have travelled many times over the last 8 years and never really thought about that.

As for the risk in your situation you really need to take medical advice.

I, for one, would not risk travelling abroad until the problem is sorted, ie possibly more coils inserted. That is just how I would feel and is in no way medical advice.

Edited by penny

Hi there sorry I wouldn't fly even if the Drs told me I could in your situation. Myself personally I would want it sealed before I even contemplated going abroad.

I am sorry you are in this predicament. Jess.xxx

Hi there

I certainly wouldn't fly knowing that my anni was still bleeding -even if slowly. You need to check with your neurosurgeon wether its safe or not and as Penny says, definitely don't book anything until you get the OK from your neurosurgeon and have sufficient insurance to travel - make sure you do declare your SAH otherwise if you don't and you need treatment, your insurance company will not cover the costs because you didn't declare - sounds obvious I know.

I hope you're in the pipe line for further coiling/treatment and they're not just leaving you to see how it goes.

Keep us updated.

Hi Guys!:-D

i had a aneurysm in 2009 aged 27,i was told this year that it is still bleeding (slowly..but still bleeding:shock:) so i have decided to try and forget this by going on holiday to the Philippines. but i have no idea if the coil will show up in a security scan?will i need a letter or certificate from my doctor? haha silly question i know! and is there any added risk in travelling with a aneurysm,like is there more of a risk of a rupture maybe?? any answers you can give me would be brilliant;-)..i cannot stop thinking about this and i have no idea also. thank you

thank you all for your answers.. i got the news my aneurysm was still bleeding in january of this year,my neurosurgeon told me and then said 'but do not worry':confused:! i thought everything was ok and this was such terrible news to accept as i thought my problems were over.i have another appointment for march 2013 and no other appointments till this time.. i told him my concerns that this is such a long time away and what if anything happens but again he just told me not to worry..this is easier said than done of course. i am still scared everytime i get a headache and i must think about this 2-3 times a day which is why i wanted to go on holiday to forget for a while but because of all your wonderful answers i see now that this is a terrible idea. i will seek a appointment with my neurosurgeon before i make any plans.. can i just say thank you so much to you all,i talk to friends and family here but obviously they do not know the feelings and emotional,physical pain a aneurysm can cause.i am so happy to have found this site!

Godbless us all here,

thanks again.. neil:-D

Hi Neil,

How can someone tell you not to worry when you've been through a SAH. Unbelievable!!! It would be on my mind all the time not just two or three times a day. It's all right saying don't worry about it when he doesn't have to live with it. Get some expert medical help Neil and don't travel abroad beforehand. Get written confirmation from your doc to say it is ok to travel and fly when the time comes.

Cor blimey - I just can't believe what some people say sometimes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck Neil

What's health care like in the Phillipines? Somehow I just can't seee it would be as good as here.

Macca

Hi Neil,

It is really shocking to me that you have a bleeding anni that the neuro surgeon is not interested in until 2013 - how can this even be possible????

You are entitled to ask for another doctor & a second opinion. Personally, that's what I would be demanding in your shoes and as a matter of urgency. I have never heard anything like this and am totally gobsmacked.

Good luck,

Michelle

Hello Neil,

I'm sorry to hear you have all this worry but pleased you have decided not to go to the Philipines. I feel it would be better to stay in this country for a while until you get it sorted.

After my SAH the Registrar told me to be mindful of where I go on holiday now. She said that after having a shunt it's better to be somewhere they have CT scanners in case there's a problem. She mentioned Africa as not being suitable. Sounds a bit alarmist I know but it does make you think a bit. The trouble is you just want to get back to normal and not have to keep on worrying about it. I hope you manage to get it fixed soon. I wonder sometimes if some of these people have any idea what it's like!

All the best, Jane.