Just joined here.

Roshni

Hi to anybody. I'm Roshni, but feel free to call me Moony.

I just read up about sub arachnoid haemorrhage, and found this website. My dad suffered from this about two - three months ago. It was actually quite shocking, and it happened bang on the date of my coursework time at school. I'm fifteen, turning sixteen soon.

I just need someone to talk to, and what better way to do that, than at a forum full of people that can sympathise.

Hope to hear from anybody soon.

:)

Hi Sami.

I thank you for your support. I feel that I could use some support from people that understand what I'm going through.

As a 15 year old, with the pressure of exams and coursework, it is extremely hard for me to not worry during school hours. I try my best, and I am pleased with what I have achieved so far. My teachers are pleased that I have managed to stay on top.

And to be honest, family aren't exactly helping much. From what I can see, they don't think about how things are, when put into my shoes, yet they expect me to understand what they are going through.

If you don't mind me asking, what's the situation with you?

Moony.

Hi Moony and welcome!

My daughter was the same age as yourself, when I had my SAH .... she's called Lauren, she's now 16 (her photo is in the album on the homepage) and is also a member on this website .... She checks the site most days, but I will let her know that you've posted, but feel free to private message her if you want to, she would be more than happy to talk to you.

My SAH had an enormous effect on her and probably still does, as life at home has changed quite a bit since.

How's your Dad doing?

Just remember, that things do get better with time .... your Dad is still quite early on with his recovery, but it will get better.

Hey

Course I don't mind you asking.

I'm 36 and had my SAH eight months ago. I was on holiday at the time and ended up spending a week in Derriford Hospital, Plymouth.

I had two anueryms - one had ruptured and one still intact. They both come off the same stem so they were both coiled at the same time. I have nine platinum coils in total. I'm one of the lucky ones who has suffered no physical side effects from this what so ever. The only thing I still suffer from is the occasional headache and fatigue.

I have a ten year old daughter who witnessed the whole thing and she was hugely affected by it at first. As she saw I was getting better she calmed down and as time has gone by she realises that it won't happen again.

The first 3 to 6 months are generally the worse and shock, relief and depression can hit all at once and it can be heart wrenching, confusing and worrying for those around the sufferer.

I'd advise you not to worry too much and try to concentrate on your school work. I'm sure you're dad wouldn't want you to worry and suffer at school. My family have been great but to be honest, I'd rather be the one suffering from this than watching someone I love go through it.

We're all here for you anytime you need to talk, rant, rave or ask questions.

Good luck

Sami xxx

Hi Karen.

My Dad's doing all right. Sort of. He's been getting infections though, for the past two weeks, and incoming relatives don't exactly help. He had a chest infection, diarrhoea and MRSA within the two months.

But he is improving a lot now. He's going through physiotherapy each day. He sits in the large kurton chair for about an hour, and he does nod and shake his head, as well as speaking a few words. I do feel he is improving, but it's scary because I've not heard him taunting me for over two months. I've almost forgotten what his voice sounds like.

I will definately contact your daughter and talk with her. I'm sure she can definately know where I'm coming from, if not anybody else.

I hope you're much better and wish you well in the future.

Thanks.

Moony.

Sami.

36 is such a young age for something like this to happen. My dad's 51, just turned in January.

I'm sure your daughter was petrified. At ten years old at that, as well. I understand completely what your daughter was going through at that time.

You recovered in a relatively quick succession, though. But going through this type of illness is terrifying altogether.

I completely agree with you when you said:

The first 3 to 6 months are generally the worse and shock, relief and depression can hit all at once and it can be heart wrenching, confusing and worrying for those around the sufferer.

I have tried a lot not to worry, and so far, it works a little. My school work is good, and I'm still top of my classes, which I am relatively proud of. My dad would probably murder me if I fail my exams and coursework. I'd probably be the next person in hospital!!

My family have been great but to be honest, I'd rather be the one suffering from this than watching someone I love go through it.

I agree with you there. I'd rather my Dad, or anybody else for that matter, go through something like this. Although, my Dad would rather this happen to him, than his family. Everyone's selfless.

I appreciate you being there for me, and look forwards to talking with you in the future. Just so you know, I'm here whenever you feel like doing all you said before: rant, rave, scream, cry....whatever you like.

Thanks again.

Moony. xx

Hi Moony,

I hope that you do contact Lauren, as she will know exactly how you're feeling .... and even though I know that I'm probably a biased Mum etc.... but she's great and has a very friendly ear .... she found it pretty tough when I was ill and even though she had friends to talk to, they didn't always quite understand what she was going through.

It sounds as though your Dad has had a very tough time of it ......especially picking up the infections as well, so he sounds like he's a fighter and a tough cookie. :)

Thanks for your good wishes .... I'm now 21 months on and I'm still making recovery.

Hi Moony

Welcome to the site.

My two sons (age 7 and 12) were hugely affected by my SAH. The youngest was affected the worst and even refused to see me in hospital. Some strange things were happening at school that were completely out of character. Luckily, its just a distant memory for him now.

Hope everything works out OK with your Dad.

Regards

Keith

Hey there

Thank you.

I hope you find this site as much as a life line and a comfort as it has been to so many of us on here.

Don't forget anything you want to ask, then fire away - there's bound to be one of us on here that can help.

Take care and keep up the good work :wink:

Sami xxx

Karen,

I will definately contact Lauren. I don't think you're a biased mum; you just have faith in your daughter, which I'm sure she appreciates fully. Her friends are like mine; though they say they understand, they won't know until they actually go through something as life changing as this, although I wouldn't want them to go through this.

Yeah, my dad is a strong-willed man. If he's survived living with me, my mum and sister for all of these years without losing it, he can go through anything!!! :D

Again, I wish you well in the future and your recovery!!

Moony. xxx

Keith,

Thanks for the welcome.

Kids seem to take things the hardest. It's new, scary and utterly life-changing, especially at such a young age.

Thank you for your kind regards, and I also hope that you and your family are all doing well.

Wishing you well for the future.

Moony. xxx

The thing that kept me going in hospital, was the fact that I had my kids to come back to and just that thought makes you want to get better ...

Like Sami has said, anything that you want to ask, there will be somebody here that can help you out...

Keep smiling Moony.... :)

Hi Ya Moony

Welcome to the site, great to hear from you. I think its fantastic that you have taken time to find us, especially when you have your exams etc happening.

I feel that I could use some support from people that understand what I'm going through.

Sorry just trying to get my head round this quoting thing.

Someone else you could try if you were feeling up to it is the Lanashire Young Carers Project Their contact details are

Address Ormskirk Youth & Community Centre, West End School, Grimshaw Lane, Ormskirk L39 1PA

Telephone 01695 579446

Email ycp@ormskirk.ndo.co.uk

If thats nowhere near you give them a phone and they'll tell you the nearest one is. You will have a chance to meet up with other young people. Their situations will most like me quite varied. But they will know what it is like to have the pressures of someone being unwell in their family. They also do lots of fun things too!!

As other folk have said it is still very early days for your dad.

When do your exams start? The weather is always gorgeous when exams start, I remember revising for my GCSE's in the back garden, that was tough but I did add a few extra freckles to my collection! :lol:

Good Luck

Aine xox

Hey Moony!

I'm Karen's daughter. :P I'm 16, 17 in September so I'm in year 11 - are you?

I was about 15 when my mum had her SAH. I didn't receive much support from my friends. The day after my mum went into hospital, I saw them for the first time and they just stared at me as if I had some sort of contagious disease. :?

I can find it quite frustrating when my friends still don't understand.

Although cancer is an awful disease, I find that I don't get taken seriously by people because my mum has a different illness. :roll:

For me, the worst thing about seeing my mum in hospital was that it was like looking at a completely different person. All these drugs, pain killers and effects of the actual SAH had taken away the person I loved the most and that was just terrifying.

It's petrifying how quickly things can turn around and I remember going into actual shock (panic attacks, nearly being sick etc. :?) when my mum was taken into hospital. It definitely took me a lot of time to get over that night.

In a way I am lucky that my mum's SAH occured during my summer holidays, so I did not have to worry about coursework. However, various complications and 'blips' during the last 2 years of my mum's recovery have meant that sometimes school work was the last thing on my mind!

I'm glad you're keeping on top of all your course work. Although it is difficult to motivate yourself, sometimes distraction is the best thing. I'm sure that your dad will be really proud of you for that!! :D

*hugs* Stay strong and keep in touch!

Hi Moony

I am 7 years older than your father and had an SAH in December 2006 and had it coiled in January 2007. As a result I suffered from headaches, exhaustion, confusion and irratibility. Keep supporting your dad he will get better and nothing will give him more pleasure than seeing you do well in school

My biggest problem was because I didn't look ill my friends gave me no sympathy so if it wasn't for my wife I don't know what would have happened.

I am a lot better now and my headaches have diminished and I'm out and about and generally trying to enjoy myself.

Just keep supporting your dad and all the best for the future.

Cheers

John :P

Hi John. :D

I sincerely hope that you're doing well now and wish you well for the future too!

As I told somebody before, you'll realise who your true friends are through hardships in your life. I know that you may not take this seriously from a 15 year old, but I've seen enough to know some facts of life, at least.

Anyway, I hope that you're still doing well. Your wife obviously loves you a lot. Any woman hates seeing the man she loves in pain and enduring suffering. I can barely imagine what she went through!

I'm glad that you're taking life as it comes and being easy and going out. Keep it up! :D

I will definately keep supporting my dad. Even though we used to argue a lot, there's love hidden somewhere! No doubt about that! :D

Wishing you and your family well in the future!

Thanks and hopefully talk soon. :D

Moony. xxx

Hey Moony

I can sympathise with the relationship you had with your Dad pre SAH. My Dad wsa a hard faced man and I could have counted on one hand the times he had told me that he loves me - and I'm 36!! Now, we're close and I see a new respect in his eyes for me. He hugs me now and also tells me he loves me. Through my darkest times after the SAH he cried whilst holding me and cried with me when I felt I couldn't take anymore. This sort of illness makes you realise how important your family are to from both sides of the fence and also sorts the wheat from the chaff in so much as you find out who your real friends are. Before my SAH I had fallen out with a school friend who I'd regularly seen.(bearing in mind that my best friend I have known since I was 11) When she found out what had happened to me, we met up as soon as we could and hugged and cried - and that was only a few weeks ago.

Stay strong and good luck at school. Being 15 does not mean that the world cannot take you seriously - especially through something like this.

My thoughts and best wishes are with you, your father and your family.

Sami xxx

• 1 month later...
Guest jennybee

Hi Mooney,

I'm new to this group, but I wanted to contact you as I was the same age as you are now when my mum had a SAH. I was 15, just moved to a high pressure school and was generally doing the caring for mum. It is a scary thing, and I felt really different from most of my friends and longed to be just worrying about homework and school politics. Looking back, I wished I'd asked for more help - from friends and relatives - and I wished I'd given myself more of a break. You're clearly proud of doing well at school but look after yourself and let other people help if they offer. I really feel for you because I remember what it was like for me - but things can and do get better and it sounds like this group could be a great support for you. Good luck - Jenny.