Zolabud here,saying Hi.

Guest zolabud

Guest zolabud

Hi all.

Zolabud here saying Hi.What a great site! I feel at home already....

April 1997.Beautiful morning.8.45am. Riding my bike through country lanes near where I lived on my way to do a gardening job.

I suddenly felt very strange and fell off my bike and started to throw up.A lady stopped and thinking I had been in a collision with a car,bundled me into her car and took me to my local health centre.

I was put in a side room,told I was having a migraine and lay there for 3 hours watching the clock and wishing I could stop throwing up and go home.At no point was my blood pressure taken or my temperature or any other checks done.I remember this very clearly.

At 12.00 I was taken home where my 16 year old son put me to bed.That is the last thing I remember.

My partner Mick got home about 7.00 and Russ told him I was acting very strangely.I later found out the staff at the health centre thought I had been drinking.The same doctor I saw that morning came out and straightaway I was whisked off to Hurstwood Park hospital in Haywards Heath.

I woke up 2 days later after an operation to clip an artery that had burst.

I had had a subarachnoid heamorrhage.Mick and Russ were waiting for me to wake up and looked wiped out...

I on the other hand was raring to go,and proved to be quite a handful in the days following my surgery,I refused to take my clothes off and was still wearing the cycling shorts and T shirt I wore when I was admitted.I also wouldn't take any pills unless they were yellow.(I don't know how the nurses got round that) I kept pulling my catheter out and I seemed to be suffering from Tourettes Syndrome.Apparently it was due to the large amount of anasthetic I had for my op....

I was told that I had another anneurism on the other side of my brain which was unruptured but couldn't be left and another operatiion would be necessary.Poor Mick fainted on the spot,as he frequently did during my stay.He was always pretty phobic about hospitals....

In all I stayed a month in Hurstwood Park. I ended up in a little room on my own,and I LOVED it.I was bought all my food,my family frequently visited and I had a month 'off'.That is the way I looked at it.

I returned in July 97 and had the other anneurism coiled.I was in almost a month.I had also shaved my head.My knee length blonde hair had ended up a matted mess...So I got out the clippers.I never once missed it.Strange seeing that I was known for my beautiful hair.

And I kept it at a No 1 for a year before I started growing it again.

When I got out,I took a good hard look at my life with Mick who had been my partner since I was 16 years old...And I was so unhappy living with him,I decided to move out.

Then Mick,who had been ill for sometime,took a turn for the worst.Our doctor curtly told us he had 6 months to live.

He lasted 5 years.And he made my life hell....

I tried 3 times to move out.Each time I ended up going back because I still loved him,but found it almost impossible to live with him.

He died 5 years ago.

I moved from our old house to a flat,and my son now lives with his girlfriend and thay recently presented me with my 1st grandchild.

I wrote to my doctor saying I was unhappy with my treatment on that fateful day...And he said they did check my blood pressure,pulse,and temperature.The letter ended with 'seeing as you had a brain heamorrhage I don't think you are in a position to accuse us of malpractice'.

They thought I was ******.And they DID NOT do those checks.....

Me signing off. For now.

Been good to talk....

Zolabud.

Hi Zolabud

Welcome to behindthegray and glad that you feel at home already :D Interesting story. You certainly had a hard time which can't have helped with your recovery.

The misdiagnosis is all too common. I had all the tests done (except the essential CT scan) and although I was not misdiagnosed exactly, the diagnosis was mismanaged with more weight on the migraine instead of the SAH. They got there in the end though, I'm pleased to say.

Regards

Keith

Hi Zola

Thank you for sharing your story with us. It must have been really hard for you coping with Mick's illness and dealing with the after-effects of your SAH. Not surprised by your Doctors response they have the perfect get out clause and so many G.Ps do misdiagnose SAH.

Janet x

Guest zolabud

Me again...

When I wrote to my doctor,I didn't accuse him of anything.

I just suggested next time someone comes in with symptoms of a migraine,they may do a few checks.So that they could rule out an SAH...I wasn't iffy at all.But the letter I received back was curt,and all the doctors in the practice had signed it. The same doctor sorted Mick through his illness too...He had no bedside manner and was not a nice man.Yet I heard other folk singing his praises.

A man who lived near me also had an SAH just before me.He was found wandering in the street in his jim jams,and he ended up having his op just before me.He had problems walking,talking afterwards.And 3 more people who lived locally also had SAH's.And they all died....Made me realise how lucky I was...I really had no physical problems afterwards.But now,10 years on,I can see subtle differences.

I no longer dream.I was a prolific dreamer before...

I am now scared of bangs,thunderstorms...Cannot watch operations on the telly.

I can no longer set watches,videos..My microwave is very basic,can't deal with buttons anymore.

Don't trust myself behind the wheel either...Was having lessons when I had my SAH,resumed them a while later and it was soon apparent I was a menace,so I gave up.

But I am amazed I can use a computer...

I also have a real fear of needles now.Never bothered me before.

I know why this is though...I have had so many lumbar punctures over the last 10 years,and only 1 of them was done 'well'.

I am amazed at how painful they can be.

I have 'fits' occasionally. I have been through Phenytoin,Epanutin and am now on Sodium Valporate.

When I have these 'fits',I collapse and vomit and lost the control of my bladder...Then I go into some sort of 'coma' type state,where I can not move a muscle,but can hear everything going on around me.

This usually lasts around 8-10 hours.Which freak my family out as this is what happened when I had my SAH...But I wish I could tell them 'I'm all right really,I will be awake in a few hours...'

I'm kept in for a few days,and have the customary lumbar puncture again.

But the last one was not so good.About a month ago I was standing at my kitchen sink when it happened again.

And I was on my own this time....

I didn't tell my Mum,she would worry too much,but I did mention it to my daughter in law,who rang my brother,who rang my Mum...

I now have to 'check in' twice a day by phone to her.Or she worries.I have also called off my trip to Spain (Working holiday) as I have been advised not to travel.

I saw my new doctor and she has arranged for me to go back to Hurstwod Park to have my scans redone.

And tweak my medication....Which I am quite happy about really.

So I decided to do a bit of surfing on the subject. And found you!!

I am really glad I did.

Zolabud.

HI ZOLABUD AND WELCOME I AM GLAD YOU FOUND US. WHAT A STORY TO TELL YOU HAVE BEEN THROUGH THE RINGER, BUT IT SOUNDS AS IF YOU ARE DOING RATHER WELL FOR YOUR SITUATION THAT IS GREAT AND DOES GIVE HOPE.

I TOO NOW HAVE A FEAR OF NEEDLES I DIDN'T HAVE BEFORE AND WAS ALSO BEING DIAGNOSED WITH A MIGRAINE. BUT I HAVE TOO SAY I HAVE LOST SOME OF MY FEARS I HAD PRIOR TO MY EVENT.

I WAS TOLD OF PEOPLE FORGETING THEY SMOKED, AND FOGETTING THEY WERE CLAUSTROPHOBIC (SOORY ABOUT SPELLING) AND I DON'T DRIVE MUCH ANYMORE IF I DON'T HAVE TOO DON'T FEEL GOOD ABOUT IT ANYMORE.

WELCOM AGAIN LOVE AND HUGS EVELYN

Guest ElaineW

I am a carer (my mum had hers in May 2008) and your story made very interesting reading. My mum was never without a headache prior to her SAH so we didn't think anything of it when she was holding her head the day it happened. I hope you have a happy life now after all the turmoil you have been through.

Elaine

Hi Zolabud

Wow, what a story! I'm glad that you have been able to take control of your life again, but sorry to hear about your ongoing symptoms, although you seem to have a great attitude and are obviously very strong. Some doctors are ****** aren't they? :D Completely unrelated I know but for nearly three years now a particular doctor has been saying that I definitely do not have a problem called Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. She finally had no choice but to refer me on and the gynaecologist didn't even need to examine me, he just looked at the results of my myriad blood tests and guess what the problem is? Yep, Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. *sigh*. At least its not life threatening - just ****** painful and annoying. Sounds to me like your doctors thought u were going to sue the pants off them and got on the defensive!

Anyway thats all irrelevant, hope things continue to improve for you.

All the best

Jo

Guest Beth1957

Hi Zolabud, welcome to BTG... sorry, I forgot to say "hello" yesterday :oops:

Poor you, you've certainly been through the mill, haven't you? Glad to hear that you survived it all...

xx

Hi there!

So glad you posted....its always fascinating to learn how sufferers of sah fair years down the line! I am sorry to hear you've only recently noticed effects on sensitivities & techno difficulties, even though you haven't been affected physically, nor very much your memory...it is quite amazing! With regard to dreams, the quality of mine is affected by what I am studying/reading sometimes, also governed by how much good sleep I manage. Strangely, my dreaming has picked up since my course started. I can only put this down to the course strengthening my powers of concentration and focus, which rubs off on my dreams!

Please keep us up-to-date on your progress & good luck with the scans!

Best Wishes Anya!!

Guest zolabud

Hi all.

Thank you all for such a warm welcome!

I had a test not so long ago,a kind of psychsometic one.I can't remember the exact outcome,but one part of my brain works fine,and the other part is shot... The various puzzles I did quickly,but when it came to repeating a short passage from a book...I tried 3 times and ended up in tears.

The memory problems I try to get around by always carrying a book and pen,which is absolutely essential,as I forget things as soon as I am told them.I have a good friend who comes and tries to teach me a bit more on my computer,downloading etc,but my brain seems to have settled into surfing.I can also pay all my bills online,which is a godsend.

The only downside is having just 1 password,which covers EVERYTHING.I have been advised to have different passwords but I just can't do it.I am amazed I can use this lappy,I really never thought I was capable.

Thanks again.

Zolabud. :D

Hi Zola,

Sorry I missed the clue about your memory, just goes to show mines shot too! Don't beat yourself up about it....more stress less memory. I do carry around a dictaphone when out walking the dog, so as when I get a flash of inspiration I record it!! I have to keep a journal of my inner thoughts for my course that I'm doing. I recognise my organisational skills are shot along with memory; its a b****r!! I keep three favourite passwords for different accounts which I can cope with. I know some of my memory problems are psychological...not trusting my memory causes psychological blocks to my memory, whereas if I believe my memory to be good...hey presto, it behaves a little better. But if I'm stressed everything goes out the window!! I find reading excellent for improving it, and doing this course has sharpened my focus and memory. I haven't bothered to tell the tutor and others I have a problem, as I'm sure mine is affected by confidence.

It's brightening up outside so I'm off to walk the dog!

Hope you have a good w/e!

Anya