5 months post SAH - Sherry

Sherry

Hello!

I cannot tell you how thrilled I was to find this site!  I am 48 and now 5 months post SAH and just over 4 months from the surgery to fix the AVF that caused the bleed. I spent a month in the ICU. I had an EVD in my head for all but 5 days of my hospital stay.

On the outside I look fine.  I am very thankful I have little to no physical damage from the stroke. I do suffer from short term memory loss and all the frustration that goes with it.  Fatigue is not as bad as it has been.  I do have headaches. Some days they seem to be worse than others.  Sometimes my head is a barometer and I can hardly take it.  Most meds just dull the pain.  

I am not back to work.  Reading the posts on this site has encouraged me more than expected.  It seems most of what I am feeling is normal. I do live in fear that a bad headache is going to lead to something more.

Sometimes that fear can shut down my activity for the day. How long until you relaxed enough to live life?  Some days feel very “normal” and others it’s a struggle to do basic activities. Any suggestions for my recovery?

Thank you!

Sherry

Welcome to the website. We are not allowed to give you med advice but you will find many posts helpful. Drink lots of water, rest, sleep enough hours, try not to stress about many things, be careful about loud noises and screaming kids etc etc. 

sometimes if you click on birthdays  you will see that each and everyone has a unique story.

Goodluck to you.

Hi Sherry :)

A very warm welcome to BTG, glad you found us.

You are still in the very early stages of recovery. Some great advice from Casey and Cat above.

It just takes time, sometimes you may take two steps backwards. Listening to your body and learning your limits and pacing yourself really helps.

There is a great  article posted in Inspiration, that has helped many of us and family & friends to understand what our brain is going through.

Click on the link below to read :

Take care and we look forward to hearing more from you.

Love Tina xx

Hi Sherry,

When I first came on here I was a pain but I was so happy to see people who can now laugh about what happened to us .

We cant let this beat us can we as we are Survivors  xxxx 

Do what others have said eg.   drink water,  and brain message  is brilliant reading !! 

Down days I come on here and tell them about my barometer head, and weird smells .  part and parcel I guess of B.I. 

My way to work my way out of bad days is either go to bed or sing and a smile...It keeps me going but drives hubby potty xxXXxx 

Welcome to behind the gray and life goes on xxxx and so do I ha.   Seriously welcome to BTG ((She who shortens things)

Keep a smile at hand always for down days  xxxxx

All the best 

Win xxxxx 

Hi Sherry, welcome to BTG as we all call it,

You have come to a great place for advice and support as has already been said we are not allowed to give medical advice, but we can share with you our own stories of recovery, although we are all different with lots of different reasons behind our bleeds, a lot of what we go through is as we recover is similar.

You are still early in your recovery and the advice I would give is this, try to make sure that you stay hydrated drinking plenty of water really does help with the headaches, getting plenty of rest, both your brain and your body have suffered a huge trauma and they both need lots of time to recover, listen to your body and your brain, they have a way of letting you know if you are over doing things, it usually means rest, sometimes doing the smallest of tasks can make you feel very fatigued, it is normal but if you feel like that it's time to rest up.

You will find a wealth of information here, if you have any questions there is always someone who will be able to help, we are all a friendly bunch, when you feel up to it, come and join us in the Green Room, lots of friendly banter in there.

Anyway I wish you well as you go along your recovery journey, hopefully as you go along you will make lots of new friends too.

Love

Michelle xx 

Hi Sherry

Warm welcome to the site, glad that you found us.

I think that its all very normal to feel like that, take things slow and easy remembering it wasn't any run of the mill thing you had.

Keep hydrated it helps with the headaches.

Archived