Jump to content

New member - Sheilau


Recommended Posts

Hello, I had an SAH whilst shopping 9 weeks ago.  Luckily someone called an ambulance for I was all for going home to sleep!  At A&E I was told there was an air ambulance on its way to fly me to Edinburgh as there are no facilities for surgery further North in Scotland.  I had a coil inserted and got home after 2.5 weeks.


After initial left side weakness, and lots of horror stories, I am amazed that apart from tiredness, I seem to be making a full physical recovery.  I do worry that the coil will fail and that I won't be so lucky if it happens again.  It's good to have found a group that I can relate to. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Sheilau 


I was cooking tea and hubby came home early  with some wine, I thought this might cheer me up as had been feeling rough all day.


Never had a drop and passed out...I was told I was in Kings College in London and after 4/6 months went to another hospital nearer home.


I came home from there as they wanted me put in a home as I'd never be me again and to say goodbye to the Mum/Wife I once was (OT's!!) I called them witches and cried when they came near me dont ask me why as I have no memory of that time. 


I awoke up after Kings said I needed a shunt put in as I had hydrocephalus and had one fitted.  My dogs went potty I gave my Daughter a big hug when she said "welcome back Mum"  I am so pleased to be alive and in the land of the living ...my walking is not that good but was told I'd never walk again. 


Good Luck on your recovery and remember we are Survivors  xxxxx Welcome to BTG  xxxx  Had my coils in since 2009 xx


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Sheila, welcome to BTG , glad you have found us and are finding the site useful. Sounds like it was lucky someone called that ambulance!


You will find lots of like minded souls here on the site, all with different stories to tell. But the common thread is fatigue which could well be an ongoing problem. I am 4 years out and still suffer from fatigue when I push too hard, work being the main culprit.


Take things slowly and you will find your new normal. It may be a bumpy road but hold on tight and you will get there.


Be good to hear more from you.


Clare xx

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Sheilau,


Welcome to BTG, sorry to hear you had SAH,  you were very lucky to have someone call that ambulance.


You have come to a great place for support and advice, lots of very friendly people here who will help you along your recovery road. That road can be a bit bumpy at times, although you do sound like you are recovering well, just try and make sure you listen to your body and your brain.


When you feel tired make sure you rest, fatigue is on of the main problems after such an event. Drinking plenty of fluids and staying hydrated will help with any headaches that you might have.


It is still early days in your recovery and it is normal to worry or have the fear that it will happen again, I think we as survivors have all had the fear.  It does get easier as time passes, just take things slowly and don't try to rush through your recovery, it all takes time, your brain and your body have suffered this trauma and they need time to recover, if you push to hard, they will let you know you are going too quickly.  It takes time finding your new normal, so be kind to yourself.


I wish you well with your recovery journey.


Let us know how things are going and pop into the green room, lots of banter and friendly chat goes on in there.


Michelle xx 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We , well I was so scared when Family told me what happened, and I thought this is it,  the end of me.


I came on here and people were laughing and joking about the funny things they did when unwell  ie early days 


This site gave me my laughter back, and they have been there so know what we are all talking about ie little worries etc etc .


You take care and get that smile back or I'll sing an old pub song to you!! Trust me no one wants that xxxx

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome to the group. I live in the Western Isles and I too got the air ambulance to the central belt....though I got taken to Glasgow, so I presume you're from the east coast of Scotland. :) What would we do without the air ambulance? Live savers indeed.


I'm just coming up on 4 years since my bleed and coiling. It definitely takes a while to get back on an even keel. As for stressing about the coil - that is normal. I had check-up scans after 6 months, 12 months, 24 months and (after none last year) I'm off in the next week for my 4-year scan. They'll keep monitoring it until they're sure everything is stable. Depending on where you are, they will likely do your scans down in Edinburgh. I had my first scan in Inverness (no MRI in Stornoway so this is closest) but I'll be honest, it was a pain to organise as it was different health boards so now I just go down to Glasgow for my check-ups. 


I had 3 months off work, and a further 3 months working up to full time. I am fortunate to work from home and still now 4 years later I find it hard when I have to travel for work and spend time in the office. 


Take it easy and sleep, sleep sleep! I think it was best part of a year before I could cope without a half-hour evening snooze. I still do it when work is stressful.


Glad you've found this group. It's very encouraging speaking with others who understand what you're going through.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi there


warm welcome to the site, glad you found us, I was taken to Edinburgh Western General - life savers.... 


Take things easy rest and relax when your tired give in and rest, keep well hydrated especially when its warm...



Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...