newspaper article

Hi everyone

I noticed an article about SAH and post-traumatic stress disorder in the Good Health Section of today's Daily Mail (07/04). I've not had P-T S D myself, as yet at least, though have been very wobbly at times. I thought it might of interest. Having a SAH is compared to being knocked down by a car or something similar and it claims that more than 30% of people who've had SAH then go on to develop P-T S D.

Best

Anne xxx

The neurologist thought I might have PTSD as I could'nt sleep, had very vivid bad dreams and a bad memory. Had an assessment and I haven't got it, but some stress from the event and slight depression, now go to a counsellor and practice meditation. My bad memory is just that, a result of my SAH :)

Vivien x

Must admit, that I had severe anxiety attacks for a few years after the SAH ..... whether it was PTSD, then I'm not sure .... Spending time alone, especially overnight, was particularly bad ..... the sound of an ambulance siren seemed to knot my stomach for the first two years and as we're on a ambulance route, it wasn't helpful!

I truly believe that all people that experience a brain injury, should be given counselling as an automatic right and it should not be something where we get to the point of going doolally with and then something gets done..... and of course, then there's the waiting list...... :roll:

I believe that mental health issues and coping strategies, play a large part of our recovery and the fact that this is often ignored, is a big failure on the part of the people that fix us up and send us home, with very little or no information, as to how this injury will or might affect us, in our day to day life.

Guest ElaineW

Thanks - that made very intersting reading. Mum is very depressed at the moment but I dont feel anxious though she does panic at times. She describes "a pain" at the front of her head all the time and only said today that she is fed up and very down that she will never feel normal again. My telling her how incredibly lucky she has been is falling on very deaf ears at the moment. I keep tellingher about poor Lin but I just can't seem to get through toi her, all I get is "I am going back". I will show her this article to read. Love to all.

Elaine

Very interesting article.

I still get flashbacks of that evening 5 years ago even now, but only the horrendous pain in my head and up to the paramedics arriving, I did have one clear moment when I must have been in A+E of someone saying "are we transferring her tonight or in the morning". I then have no memories at all for about 8 weeks. I have always looked on them as seeing how lucky I was to survive. They are not as frequent as they used to be though. I went through the sleepiness and depression too and have been left with memory problems and a very poor sense of balance. I used to sit and cry regularly for no apparent reason.

Luckily one day I sat there and had severe words with myself, telling myself I was lucky to be alive and to start a life for myself again.

This I did, although I admit it was hard, especially as I had been left less able, and now I enjoy my life as much as possible. I have actually made a new life for myself and am doing everything I want to do within my capabilities. The things I can't do I just put out of my head, no use in wishing, it uses up too much energy.

I don't have a "wish I had list" anymore as you can't turn the clock back, I have a "I have done list" instead.

The SAH made me realise that you don't know what tomorrow will bring, so live life and enjoy it.

I love to travel abroad, so another motto of mine is "have walking frame will travel"

That walking frame has covered thousands of miles in plane holds, can I give it an award? :)

Guest ElaineW

Oh how true your words are - I will show this to my mum too. I can't get throught to her so hope some of you guys can.

Elaine

A good post Penny.... :)

Elaine, it's taken me a good few years to cope with the anxiety ..... I'm sure that it will be the same for Maggie and she isn't even a year on .... my anxiety seemed to lessen after the two year stage .... and now, it's much easier, apart from when I'm out, walking about and having a dizzy spell ..... it does seem to take a fair amount of time to come to terms with things and the first year is a hard one. If there's anything that Maggie ever wants to ask, then please feel free to relay her questions.

Love K xx

Anne thanks for that! It is indeed an interesting article, I'm almost certain that I don't have PTSD for which I am more than thankful but agree so much with Karen and all that you have said about support and counselling . Penny well done and what a lovely post, Keep on Truckin' :wink:

hi i have been reading this thread with great interest all the signs and symptoms sound like ptsd i have seen and treated before sending off to hospital both soilders from northern ireland and the gulf states during both wars and troubles the signs ie anxiety and panic attacks are some of the signs concurrent with ptsd and if anyone feels they do have trouble or worries you should see your gp. i also fear or show some signs and i have been reffered to counciling when i get the appt i will attend as i still have flash backs to when lin collapsed and i think others may feel the same we arnt freaks those who have suffered sah and those who have witnessed a loved one colllasping will all feel the stress and the anxiety some of you have spoken about therefore i feel it would be prudent to either have some form of counciling if not only to get it all out in the open all your fears and worries and hopfully be able to put your fears to rest with the approriate people i hope you dont mind me putting this on this thread but it wasnt untill two months ago when i started haveing flash backs to lin falling on me got more and more regular to the point of every night being afraid to go to sleep and waking up in a very cold sweat and being scared witless thank you

I was diagnosed with PTSD x x and was told by my councellor that I was at the highest level and she would help x x and she did x x x

She told me that when something like this happens in your life it brings everything back to the surface that has happened in your life even things that you think you are over and dont want to remember x x x

I do feel like I have a more clear head about things now x x its a strange feeling but i do recommend that if anyone feels they need someone to talk to about PTSD then to do so x x x along with this site it has helped me get my life back on track x x x I still struggle with my confidence quite alot but that is something i need to build on in my own time x x x

love donna x

Guest Lucie

I was suspected of having PTSD by a brain injury counsellor, but never officially diagnosed. I was constantly stressed, having palpitations, tearful and even came close to passing out a number of times, basically I felt like my world was crumbling around me and I was powerless. It was truly awful, and it wasn't until I took a step back and realised that I'd taken too much on too soon, that I realised I had to do something about it.

That was a year ago. I left my stressful job and moved up to Manchester to be with my boyfriend. It's the best decision I ever made! Life is too short to be unhappy and god knows what state I'd be in now if it wasn't for the counsellor (who incidentally came into my laugh by fluke just at the right time - everything happens for a reason!)

If anyone feels they might be suffering from PTSD then please get help and don't blame yourself x

Paul, thanks for sharing your feelings. I'm going to show this to my partner, Tammy.

See, I know I'm the one who had the actual SAH but Tammy had to rush me to hospital and watch me writhing in agony and see me in Intensive Care after my op and many other unpleasant scenes in between. I was high on morphine through most of it and besides, I had many many hours staring out the window to come to terms with it all and a lovely nurse to talk it over with. Tammy didn't have that luxury and I firmly believe Next of Kin should be offered counselling in such instances. All Tammy got was everyone telling her to 'be strong' every 5 minutes. Not once did anyone sit her down and say 'are you OK? are you coping alright? do you want to talk about it?'

Today I went to our GP about my headache: just mildly concerned, never ever had headaches before my SAH and it's my first proper headache since coming home so I have no frame of reference apart from the SAH itself! GP confirmed I'm absolutely fine, no need to worry etc.

I took Tammy along with me, mainly so she could hear from my doctor directly that I'm OK. GP had a good chat with T about how she felt. T may be in shock. Lots of denial about what happened, just brushing it under the carpet and bottling all her emotions up, perhaps in the hopes that forgetting it all will make it never have happened. She even refuses to come this forum now! Also sleeping badly (on Nytol to help) and having awful dreams.

Our GP said it'd be best for T to speak with the fine folks at Headway (they have a place just by North Hants Hospital) and if that doesn't help she's to go back to the GP for further help as she may have PTSD.

I had made a previous appointment with Headway for both Tammy and I to go talk to a counsellor there but T decided to not go just a few days before the appointment. I think my GP has persuaded her to keep the next appointment though. I really hope so. She's more upset about the SAH than I am and I can see exactly why. T had tears on the way home (fianlly!) and I think we may be getting somewhere now.

As our GP put it "you very nearly lost your partner: if you had lost him, you'd naturally be grieving. You didn't lose him but it was a close thing, so you're very close to grieving and you have a lot of emotions that you don't know how to deal with because what happened was a significantly rare thing. No-one will think any less of you for being upset about all this, it's quite natural."

Neil, I've always heard very good things about Headway from the folk on here and if you can get Tammy to go, then I'm sure that it would help. Life can be very topsy turvy in the early months and getting over the shock and dealing with the grief, isn't easy for the survivor or their family. I really hope that you can persuade Tammy to go.

Interesting, Ronnie never seemed to be up or down about it all, I know that it shocked him to the core, and telling my Dad was even as bad for him as me colapsing we talk about when I took ill and what followed so I knew what had happened to me, maybe that helped him too...

sometimes because I dont remember things like that or other things I feel like a intruder in my 'own life' weird isnt

but talking about it what happened, and even funny things that happened certinally helps I'd say....

Louise.x

neil

i have pmd you and it confirms it to me that the relitives who witness what happens is in need of help instaed of being asked or told be strong or she's or he's poorly that has really got to me over the last eight months i just wish someone had offered some form of help when this all happened but i have found some help putting it all down here and in lins diary which i have kept up to date every since this happened im now well through vol 2 and i will keep it up to date ntill lin either recovers enough for either me to read it to her or she god willing will be able to read it herself

Guest ElaineW

Hii Neil - sorry to hear Tammy is struggling. As with all you wonderful "survivors" (if I may call you that) on this site have different journeys and lengths of recovery I think the same goes for us "carers". I often re-live the day which is coming up to one year now and it seems just like yesterday. The anniversary date makes me feel kind of scared and although I know it should be a kind of celebration I think I will have very mixed feelings. Its going to be something that will be with her forever I am afraid but with time it does get easier. I have never been so frightened and to this day don't know how I coped. I hope she will soon feel able to join us again. Please feel free to PM me (I know Paul will be a great help too). If Tammy wants to speak on the phone I am more than happy to do so.

Elaine

• 1 month later...

Ah! Found this thread again at last! Yes, my memory and concentration still aren't as tip-top as once they were, but I get round to most things eventually.

Tammy and I did eventually visit Headway and had a brilliant 2 hour session with a most excellent therapist. Lots of tears and outpourings. Everything is so much better now. That coupled with the wonderful support of the splendid BTG Family has been a real boon to us. We're now properly looking forward to getting married this July, thanks to everyone that has helped us! :)

Our experiences certainly qualify us enough to at least say to any carers feeling stuck on how to deal with the emotional aspect of a loved-one's SAH, please do seek help. Don't suffer in silence. Don't hide. Don't be afraid. There are lots of experts out there (and a few in here!) who can and will help to make things a lot better.

Hi Perry,

My next angio isn't for another 6 months. Latest one was about a week after my op so a while ago now. Nowt to worry about, though; angiograms are a doddle once you get used to them! From the second angio onwards I spent more time making the nusrses blush than I did worrying :wink: