Drains and Pain?

I'm curious and don't seem able to find the answer to this one anywhere :( I have a drain which was inserted just after the SAH, during the brain surgery.There is then at tube from the drain, in my brain (sorry that's my dreadful sense of humour!)which finishes in my abdomen( at least I assume so as I was unzipped there!) at times it causes sudden acute pain, the sort that brings forth a protest, it feels as though something is trying to tear it out :o Does this happen to anyone else and if so have you discussed it with your neuro surgeon/GP ? If so, were they able to enlighten you?

I have a shunt (drain) at the base of my skull on the left hand side that goes to my abdomen. Is the pain where the shunt is or in your abdomen?

Sometimes my shunt, well not the shunt itself, but the area where it is hurts like hell but I have never queried it and just presumed it happens if I have been laid on it and bruised the area as the shunt is quite hard, or because it is a "foreign body". The pain lasts for a few hours and then eases. I am 5 years on from my SAH and it has not diminished with time.

If I think on I will mention it to my neuro at my next appointment.

hi perry

you must have the ventiperitneil shunt which lin has it picks up from the ventrical in the brain and runs well lins runs from the right side to the rear of the brain down under the skin down to the peratineil cavity to drain i take it the pain is from the tummy if so and the time you have had it it could be scaring ie the tissue sticking to the drain so when you move abnormaly it could pull giving you a spasm hence you say it goes off after a while it is worth checking it out anyway but thats is possibly what is going on i hope it dosnt give you to much discomfort the drain tube i can feel lins as it comes out of the skull and down her neck untill it goes into the body take care

Guest shelscha

Hi, I have a shunt and I sometimes have the sharp pains you talk about in my abdomen. I asked my GP about it and she said that maybe the tube is a little too long. I decided I will just live with it because I don't want any more surgeries at this time!

Shelly

Hi there

hey I say that too, I have a drain in my brain :roll: that goes down into my stomarch, I found it very weird when I first got home to have a scar on my tummy but to have had a brain op couldnt quite understand it then.....

sometimes when the weather is bad its like someone is tying a rubberband around the side of my head - very weird

Louise.xx

• 4 weeks later...

As I said i would I have told my GP who poked about ( Yuk) and has concluded that some of the scar tissue is indeed adhering wrongly and certain movements could well cause the 'ouch' factor, paul it looks as though you were right and I hope it helps you others, it's good to know why things happen though isn't it? :)