Is this normal

waterball

Hi Dianne

Marks 'progress' sounds about right, mine followed a similar pattern but I was only in for a week.

It's been a major life event for you both and you are still trying to come to terms with it, so your emotions are likely to be all over the place for a while yet. It has probably turned your world upside down, and everything you thought was predictable in life you are now calling in to question. It will have overshadowed your fantastic achievement of qualifying, and taken some of the 'shine' off it for you personally. Don't be too hard on yourself and try not to over analyse your moods right now. You can feel awefully low when your are exhausted yourself so try and get rest as and when you need it. It helps to share, and there is a lot of support from fantastic people on this site as well as friends/family/colleagues.

Thinking of you and wishing you all the very best.

Sam xx

Hi Dianne

I agree with Sam it has been a really tense and frightening time for you and if no cause is found it must be very worrying thinking of taking Mark home. As you know we do have several members who have had non-anuerysmal SAHs but the important thing to remember is that recovery is a very individual thing.

Hope all goes well tomorrow and if Mark is allowed home just make sure he gets plenty of rest and fluids and try and take some time out for yourself as well if you can.

Hey there

Yep, can only echo what the others have said - you're on a very emotional rollercoaster at the minute and it will be ups and downs. You've witnessed what happened to your husband and are focussing on helping in his recovery - but you need rest too.

Take care of you otherwise you can't take care of Mark.

Hi Dianne,

You've probably been running on adrenalin since the event itself, so could it be that everything has suddenly come to a head?

I know that my family were worried about me and how I was going to be etc., when I was discharged from hospital and arrived home .... I think that it's a nervous/unsettling time for all concerned and it can throw up a lot of questions and feelings. xx

It seems for the last 2 weeks i have been on auto pilot and then all of a sudden reality sets in, very scary. Mark has had his angio this morning, he is in a bit of pain from where they went in but still they could not find where his bleed came from but the blood is still there. How long does that take to reabsorb again?

Diane xx

Just had a text from mark, the scans have been seen but something dos not add up as he was too sick for too long when he came in and there is narrowing of the blood vessels which is more in keeping with an aneurysm so he won't be going any where til they know what is going on. Has anyone come across this before?

Diane now extra worried xx

Hi Diane

Glad Mark's angio went ok, I know I found it more than a little uncomfortable at the time! I am one of the 'no fault found' bunch (!) so I know how frustrating it can be not to get any answers about causes, future recommendations etc. I don't know any specifics regarding the reabsorbtion of the blood - probably best to ask Mark's consultant, however you may well get told it's an individual thing, (seems the standard answer to so many things regarding SAH).

Hope Mark is feeling a little more comfortable soon, thinking of you both,

Sam x

Hi Dianne,

I was told by my Consultant, that the blood can take up to 3 months to be re-absorbed ..... but, I would also pose the question to Mark's Consultant.

Try not to worry too much ..... he's in the best place and being monitored and they won't let him go, until they're satisfied with the test results. It's better to air on the side of caution and they sound as though they're doing what they should be and that's thoroughly checking him out, before his release...

If he's texting you, he's doing pretty well in my books ..... which is a positive.... xx

Hi Diane,

Sorry Diane, I keep spelling your name wrong....:oops:

You really need to talk to the Nurses or see the Consultant to get some peace of mind .... as your brain is in overdrive at the minute and you could be worrying unnessecary and causing yourself more grief by not knowing what's going on?...

I think that normal thinking, kind of goes out of the window when you're dealing with this sort of situation, as it's not the norm ..... we all deal with it, in different ways...

Try to keep positive, take each day as it comes and try to find out what's going on, as you may be worrying, more than you need to do.

Wishing you the very best and keep talking ..... I can only talk from a survivors viewpoint and hopefully some of the other partners/carers will chip in.... Hugs to you xx

Hi Diane i too am a carer to my wife and reading your post i think we all felt like you do,and it's not the best feeling in the world,my wife had 2 anuerysms ,we were told they could coil both so when they took her down i expected when she came back and even if she came back the worst was over but then they could only coil one and she went back down 4 days later to have the other clipped, a month later a shunt fitted, and i think it's ups and downs for almost everyone, and it's not a nice feeling but stay strong and just be there for him and i'm sure you'll get there in the end . Good luck to you both Rod

hi diane

im sorry coming in late on this thread please dont worry to much about what mark says please take one day at a time

when you go in again please ask the dr or staff what is going on there can be some confusion as to what mark has said and what was said by the dr to mark i found such confusion when my lin had her event the longer he is there the more information the dr's can simulate which is best for mark the scans are very good and yes they do sometimes bring up more questions than answers its s**ds law mark will come home no doubt in that he has done well so far the blood re absorption normally takes three months to clear with no real problems the body does's it own house clearing so to speak the hospital may do another scan via a different mode which will not be as painful but they will check him out fully. the way you feel is normal after running on overdrive for such a length of time will knock you sideways and you feel empty and numb again this is normal things will get better when you have mark home in your own surroundings things wont get back to normal straight away because your going to be scared and frightened because its new to you but things will resolve back to normal soon we are here should you want to yell and shout promise please take some time for yourself otherwise you wont be able to help mark take care sweetheart

HI All,

Thank you for your support. I was at the hospital last night, Mark was a bit down as he really wanted to come home and the angio was very uncomfortable for him.

I spoke to a staff nurse last night and she told me not to fret and not to worry as Mark will be fine. They are having a Doctors meeting on Friday as they do for all patients and that's where they will decide on what treatment.

The whole time Mark has been in hospital he has remained stable, chatting and laughing. They hope to start sitting him up on friday.

When people have gone down for coiling etc do they then go to intensive care?

Dianexx

Hi Diane,

After I had my coiling op, I was put onto the High Dependency Unit (HDU) ..... think that they like to keep an eye on you for 24 hours or so post coiling and the nursing care is more one to one, similar to ICU, but it's nothing to worry about and I was moved onto a neuro ward a day or so later.

Glad that you managed to speak to a nurse yesterday .... hope that it's given you a little peace of mind. Think that most of us in hospital just want to come home, I know that I couldn't wait and it was absolutely brilliant when they transferred me back to my local hospital via ambulance.... I knew that it was another step in the right direction of finally getting home and having some peace and quiet!

Mark does sound as though he's doing well .... :-D Hope that you finally hear on Friday, what they're going to do .... another hurdle over with.... :wink:

xx

Doctors had there meeting and his consultant said if marks headaches are manageable then he could come home this weekend.

They sat him up yesterday but as he sat up today he is getting a headache not bad but its there also at the back of his head.

They are going to try and get him walking today.

Are the headaches normal on sitting up. On a pain scale of 1 to 10 mark says it is a 1 or 2.

Mark also has to has have another angio in 4 wks which he is not looking forward to.

Diane xx

Hi Diane

Headaches are quite normal when first sitting up and Mark has been completely flat for a couple of weeks. The headaches will probably continue for a few weeks and it is also normal to feel quite dizzy and wobbly when you first get up as well.

If you have a look at the Non-Anuerysm Forum you can see what others have written about their recovery symptoms and follow up. We all tend to have similar symptoms though and recovery is a very individual thing.

Its good news that Mark maybe allowed home soon it will relieve some of the stress for you and the long drive to be with him. Wishing you both all the best.

Hi Diane,

Janet is completely on the ball with what's she's told you.... :-D

Walking can be pretty hard at first and I could only manage with support from the nurses or by pushing and holding onto my drip stand ..... I was as weak as a newborn babe at first and it took a bit of time to regain some stamina.

Wishing you and Mark the very best of luck and it's great news that he's able to come home ..... :-D xx

Hi yes Merrill was the same for many weeks afterward, and had great problems with the walking side of it and still do on the bad days, also all i wanted was to get merrill home but it does bring a whole new set of worries with it and i panicked at everything so don't think you are the only one who ever felt like that and i'm sure you'll manage very well even though at times you might feel youare not, Good luck to you both.