My Dad

Guest padstow

Guest padstow

hello everyone

need some advice from anybody if they have gone through what my dad has.

I will try and keep it as brief as poss and not waffle on, 3 weeks ago my dad was unwell and taken to our local hospital and then transferred to Stoke hospital because of the neuro unit they have, they said it was the best place for him to be. He had 2 bleeds one inside the brain and one behind the eye they also found an aneurysm which they coiled just under 2 weeks ago, but he also has Hydrocephalus. They had hoped that he would be able to cope with the fluid on his own and they have tried to cap his drain a few times but they have decided he needs to have a shunt. I can find info for SAH but not much for Hydrocephalus most of the stuff I come across is for children. I know its still early and he has a long way to go yet but he has no short term memory and he has stopped talking when we visit him he says the odd word but not much. He does not know what has happened to him which i suppose is not a bad thing, he is very confused and says some very odd things. We are so grateful that he knows who we are because this would be so much harder if he had no idea who we were.

Hi :-D a very warm welcome to BTG . I personally cant give you any advice on shunts etc but there are others here that can.

It is very early days...your father will be confused, and very tired, i was much the same. It does get better . Wanted to welcome you and

wish you and your Dad well, please let us know how you are all doing, and ask away, as there are lots of us here that can help and support you.

Take care

Love Tina xx

Edited by Tina

Hi there

Warm welcome to the site...

Sorry to hear about your Dad, it is early days, but I think once he gets the shunt in you'll see an improvement, I have one I had hydro (thingy) too also got a drain in my brain too....

Your Dad will be scared try telling him bits of whats happened and why he's in hospital, you'll no doubt have to repeat it on each visit but thats all part of him taking it in.....

take care and hope things improve.....

Hi and welcome to BTG

Sorry to hear about you dad, as Tina and Louise have said it's still early days for him.

I too had hydrocephalus and had a shaunt. I don't remember much about the time in hospital either so most of the things were told to me by my son's.

I could not remember my own family so it was especially hard for my son's but thank god that was fine after a few days.

Each persons recovery is different and how long it takes, just be there for him.

When ever you need to talk or need advice you are welcomed here and I am sure that someone will be able to help.

Hi and welcome, i am a carer to my wife ,sah i march 2 annis, 1 coiled 1 clipped back a month later with hyracephalus and shunt fitted, my wife signs of hydra was she kept talking rubbish none of the classic signs of hydra ,but i did notice a marked improvement in her behaviour once the shunt was fitted, if you read too much on the internet you could get the idea that a shunt is a scarey thing but everyone i speak to seems to live very well with theirs,and he won't even realise it's there after a couple of weeks,What you need to look up is, aquired Hyrdracephalus, there is a Hydrecephalus web site and nhs site have info too, I don't have any info at hand at the moment but if you have any problems finding what you want to know pm me and will find the sites for you and dig some info out of the filing cabinet, This is not a nice time in your life at the moment but it does get better. Best wishes Rod

Hello and welcome to the site I think the others have probably said it all so just remember we're here when you need us. Hope your dad starts to improve once he has the shunt fitted. Thinking of you and your family at this worrying time. Please let us know how he gets on.

Hello and Welcome Padstow, 'tis a scary thing indeed and you are right to ask for support which you will certainly get on this board:-D I had an SAH, then hydrocephalus as your father has. My drain was not enough so I was treated for Hydrocenphalus and then given a shunt, I really don't notice it any more except for the lump in my skull at the site of the drain, but even that I only notice on rare ocassions. At first I was reluctant to lie on the side of the drain/shunt and did have a bit of bother from adhesions at the abdominal site where the shunt ends, but no more, they really sorted themselves out over time.I have even been knocked very hard on the 'bump' by my over exuberant puppy with no ill effects whatsoever. I really do not notice it any more altho' I have to confess my new 'thinking' strategy is to poke my finger in the hole:lol: whilst I ponder.

Once the hydro is under control that is usually it, as far as we SAH'ers are concerned, unlike children and young people who can have quite a few problems.

I wonder if your dad's hospital will do what the Royal in Belfast had to do for me. When I came back from theatre after they had drained some of the fluid, they very much needed me to lie still and flat, because it was fairly early stages and I was still pretty ill, apparently they could not get me to keep really flat down so they hitched me to a Bog Standard Homebase spirit level:lol: The only thing I'm sorry about is that no-one took my photo whilst so hitched;-)

Don't worry about the shunt it really is not a problem just always remember that time is your best ally, Good Luck

hi padstow

know how your feeling your following lins steps please dont worry about the loss of speech when they place the shunt you will find a remarkable change in dad is dad under simon shaw he is the dr who sorted lin out as your near i will pm you my number lin was in stoke for three months in miu and ward 23 before being transferred out im pleased dad is holding his own the excess fluid is the reason dads not talking but he will the hydrocephalus website is good although it does deal with children there are other pages which relate to dads condition will source some information for you let dad know yu are there for him thats im sure he will know you are there speak to you later take care