12 month follow up angio

I wonder if anyone can give me any advice on this please. My partner had his first angio since he had his SAH 12 months ago,and after an anxious 4 weeks we got the results saying that everything was satisfactory and nothing further needs to be done which is a massive relief. The letter also says that he no longer needs to be seen by the hospital and if he has any problems to go to his gp as he has a shunt fitted also. Although this is brilliant news,i cant help feeling anxious as i was told he would need regular scans throughout his life so they can keep an eye on the coiling! Was just wondering has this happened to other people and is it normal to not need further scans. I am going to phone the hospital and query this but just thought i would ask your advice first.

Hi Paris,

Sorry, we haven't met before. I think you will find there are quite a few of us who have been told we need no further scans etc. I myself was told I didn't need to be seen again at six months post surgery. I do hope your partner is feeling ok. I'm sure it's a really good sign. I see fron your postings you have a new baby. Lots of work for you then:yikes:. Try to take it easy. Hope all is good on the family front.

Sally xx

I think different types of SAH get different aftercare I think there's a few here that have had one angio & that's it. I havent had anything for 5years now its great when they say thats it but also terrifying at the same time.....

Good idea phoning the hospital tho puts your mind at rest....

Hi Paris,

I had one angio at 3 months and MRA scans at 6 and 18 months after which I was discharged by the hospital with no further monitoring necessary. It's normal to feel anxious at the thought that your partner is not going to me monitored, I know I did for a while, but after almost 4 years, I don't really think about it any more.

Hi there

I'm four years post SAH on 25th of this month. Like Keith (Bogbrush) I was scanned at 6 months and then 18th months. I've only seen my consultant once and was discharged after my 18th month scan. It is an anxious time as you're wondering "what if" and "how will we know". Take heart in the fact that due to your partners medical history, anything that concerns him regarding his brain/head will be taken seriously and if he does have any concerns, his GP would/should refer him for another scan or at the very least back to his consultant.

Take care

Hi Paris,

I had my aneurysm coiled 5 years ago and have had fairly regular scans since. My next official scan is due in 5 years time. They weren't able to totally occlude my aneurysm and I have neck left on it, so that's the only reason why I'm being monitored. I believe that if the aneurysm has been successfully sealed off, then they normally discharge you and that's good news in one sense.

However, I can understand anyone feeling worried about the future, but as Sami says, with the medical history of having a SAH/aneurysm, GP's will take any future problems seriously and I've been referred on the odd occasion by the GP for a brain scan.

Good luck and try not to worry. xx

• Like 1

Hi

I had my SAH in 2004 and I'm still being monitored regularly due to changes in the aneurysm. I also have a second smaller aneurysm appear. My next appointment is on 13 September.

I would take comfort in the fact that your partner doesn't need to be seen again, it's a really good sign although I can understand it's also worry at the same time.

Take care

Kim

X

Hi Paris

I had my SAH on 10/2/09 and was told then that I would be monitored for 5 years following it. Even told again last July at my outpatient appointment. I had my 12 month angio in February and saw the consultant neuroradiologist, that did my coiling, in July this year. He showed me the scans and went over everything with me, from my admission to my discharge. There was a Dutch researcher at this appointment who wanted permission to copy my notes.

He then said that they didn't need to see me again. There had been no leakage and the artery was completely shrivelled. So no more appointments and no more tests, yeh!! The researcher was told not to contact me. My consultant felt I'd been through enough and acknowledged the stress caused by these appointments. Future appointments would be more about them gathering data about me!

So it really is great news that your partner has been discharged and I wish him and you all the best for the future.