Has anyone struggled to get back to work after SAH?

I did go back to work after mine but had lots of medical problems and been in and out of hospital. I would have like to have kept working but it was too much.

I have after five years started to get involved with volunteering for the NHS, such as Expert Patient Programme which has helped me and now Health Peer Mentor which I very interested in helping suceed.

Just wonder how other people are managing to work

Hi Dawn,

I have been unable to return to my original job ( not driving now), but have been doing one day a week (saturdays) in a local shop. I do enjoy it but I'm unsure how the owner views my progress there. I have tried arranging to go out in the evening afterwards,but find I immediately need to sleep for acouple of hours instead. I just dont seem to be regaining energy in the way I'd like to. :frown: I can't continue in this way though as the financial situation is pretty grim.

Sally x

DAwan I hven't made it back to work yet (7 months post clipping) & alhough I could probably manage a lot f things I get sooo tired all the time & not sure I could do the problem solving/be pro active like I used to be. I ahve a goal to get back to work but there is not time scale on it. Like Sally the financial situation is pretty dire without my salary no beenfits right now :-(

Hi Merrill had her sah 23 months ago and has never returned to work she had 2 annis 1 clipped and 1 coiled and then a shunt fitted i think for some people recovery takes longer than other and for some complete recovery does'nt happen, but i heard a story on the radio about a lady who had an sah her husband was getting a record played for her and she had that day just returned to work 9 years later, so the moral must be never give up. Best wishes Rod

Edited by rod123

Hi Dawn,

I have been unable to return to my original job ( not driving now), but have been doing one day a week (saturdays) in a local shop. I do enjoy it but I'm unsure how the owner views my progress there. I have tried arranging to go out in the evening afterwards,but find I immediately need to sleep for acouple of hours instead. I just dont seem to be regaining energy in the way I'd like to. :frown: I can't continue in this way though as the financial situation is pretty grim.

Sally x

Hi Sally

I was concerned about finance after my SAH but I was later diagnosed with a stroke. Luckily i had critical illness policy and the burden of finances was lifted. I now that everyone else is that lucky.

I enjoy doing my voluntary work but still 5 years later, i still need to cat nap in afternoon. If i go three days without i really feel it and im sure i can fall a sleep standin up. I hope that one day i can return to work.

DAwan I hven't made it back to work yet (7 months post clipping) & alhough I could probably manage a lot f things I get sooo tired all the time & not sure I could do the problem solving/be pro active like I used to be. I ahve a goal to get back to work but there is not time scale on it. Like Sally the financial situation is pretty dire without my salary no beenfits right now :-(

How come you don't get incapacity benefit? I'm still on this but was never able in the early years to get Disable living allowance. Try to get someone to take you or go on your behalf to citizen advice as they are good at helping get what you are entitled to. At the end of the day no one asks to have a SAH and we all try to move on.

It is early days for you.

I know that I have beaten myself up about not working but doing volunteering work has helped me as I feel that i'm doing something constructive. But it took years.

Focus on the positive and i'm sure things will look up

Hi Merrill had her sah 23 months ago and has never returned to work she had 2 annis 1 clipped and 1 coiled and then a shunt fitted i think for some people recovery takes longer than other and for some complete recovery does'nt happen, but i heard a story on the radio about a lady who had an sah her husband was getting a record played for her and she had that day just returned to work 9 years later, so the moral must be never give up. Best wishes Rod

Thanks for that rod. I'm still hopeful.

But i just wanted to know how many other people have struggled to get back to work.

Hi again Dawn.

Incapacity benefit has been replaced by Employment Support Allowance. They will no longer consider new claims for Incapacity. The ESA has a different list of rules for enabling anyone to qualify. I myself have an appeal in progress for it , and I believe Gill is about to do so too. It's an absolute nightmre. They say I'm not ill enough to recieve any benefits, but not well enough to return to driving yet! :crazy:

Sally x

Hi Dawn

I never ever managed back to work, was going to but before I could they made me redundant then I had the Meningitis..

Aw dont beat yourself up about it, I found that to have any sort of a life then I couldnt do everything....

Still not back at work, at least not full time. I am on ESA and I do a little work for my Consultant (who I was working for before). Just taking her messages and making sure her private clinics are booked properly. Prob 3 - 4 hrs a week. I started to do some typing on the bank at the hospital on Monday.... and on Wednesday I came down with a massive bug so I've spent several days lying prostrate, vomiting etc. :( Timing eh?! I didn't tell my GP or partner because they think I'm not ready, and I want to prove them wrong! I won't be going back to my job as a PA though, that's for sure. Life's too short!

I do not think it reflects negatively upon anyone if they have been unable to return to work. It is rather an acknowledgement of how our conditions make the workplace challenging.

I resigned from my job six months after my sah and commenced voluntary work at the CAB two months after that.

Voluntary work prepares a person for the workplace. Athletes don’t turn up for a race without any preparation and it is the same principle for a person who is off work. We need to build up our stamina and get ‘work fit.’

Next week, I commence further voluntary work with the Shaw Trust who are a charity who help people with incapacities/ disabilities return to work.

Giving up work and not returning to the same job, is not a weakness on my part. It is just me adapting to new circumstances. I look upon it as nothing more than that.

It is different for us who are not returning to the same job. In returning to the same job, an employer must make reasonable adjustments.

When searching for a job whilst suffering with a condition, we are competing against healthy people. Employers, by and large, prefer to employ healthy people, so it is all the more difficult.

It is for this reason that I am going to request help from the Shaw Trust. They are the ‘experts’ in dealing with sick/ disabled unemployed people. Their entire task is to find work for sick/ disabled people and help alleviate some of the difficulties we face.

I agree with Louise, who asked you not to beat yourself up about not returning to work.

Some people have returned to work quickly and how fantastic for them, but I do not compare myself with anyone.

Similarly with those who cannot return to work. I am pleased they have made the right decision for them and hope they have secured the quality of life they deserve.

After doing voluntary work for a while, you will have a better understanding of what you can and cannot do; and it will become clear whether paid work is realistic for you and if so, what type of work and hours.

It is a massive achievement that you have commenced voluntary work and what worthwhile projects you have chosen. In the short term, just try to maintain what you are doing, and in a few months, either increase or decrease your hours; see how you feel.

Lynne

Dawn, I've been wondering the same but was afraid to ask.

I'm still new, next week will be three months. I sure hope to get back full time but don't know if I'll ever juggle the same load again.

My boss is offering to get me two assistants, one technical (I'm an I.T. Manager) and one to help with dispatch/schedules and budget. I'm very lucky. I'm just beginning to accept this whole thing and give up some control. I have to, I can't keep up. :shocked:

I'm part time right now and have applied for insurance benefits.

Sandi K.

I went back to work on rehab hours but felt like a fish out of water that was in May 2010. Still feel like a fish out of water so im back off at present. I used to work 37 hrs then after 3 months of rehab i changed to 30 but find that is too much because im so tired and crabbit. Its not easy and people dont understand.

Hiya Everyone,

I went back to work 3months after SAH it was way TOO early, i only did thursday and friday mornings, im a senior hair stylist, it requires standing and talking to clients for about four hrs, way too much!!! I used to come home and crash for days, it would put me back in bed untill i hasd to go back to work. I was coming home to four kids and a husband, they have been great doing all the jobs around the house.

Now 7months since SAH, im still doing the same hrs, i dont crash every time, but still very exhasted after work :frown: I still can't do much else, and would'nt increase hrs yet. I used to work 2 12 hr days and 1 8hr day before SAH and there is no way i could do that now:crazy:

Hopefully this will improve as just like others has said i need it too because of the money part of it !!! I am getting more energy than before but will have my off days when i just cant do a thing, not even think straight:crazy:

• Like 1

I returned to work after 7 months on a phased return after about 6 months had worked up 30 hours but it was too much for me so gradually reduced my hours to 20. Financially I'm out of pocket but I think I have my work/life balance just about right now.

• Like 1

This is a very interesting thread! At first I was sure I'd be right back at work within a couple of months. How wrong was I! But like Lynne, I've come to understand that it doesn't make me weak. It's just the way it is. I might regain some energy, I might always stay like this, but at least I know I'm better than I was 6 months ago.

Having the SAH made me wake up and realise that I was letting the bills dictate what I did for a living rather than making the bills fit around me.... I am determined to never go back to working like I was before. We might be poor, but at least I'm not so stressed!

Hi again Dawn.

Incapacity benefit has been replaced by Employment Support Allowance. They will no longer consider new claims for Incapacity. The ESA has a different list of rules for enabling anyone to qualify. I myself have an appeal in progress for it , and I believe Gill is about to do so too. It's an absolute nightmre. They say I'm not ill enough to recieve any benefits, but not well enough to return to driving yet! :crazy:

Sally x

Not heard about ESA. I know it was difficult at first to receive payments. I have had to go back at times to be re-accessed, but I had more health problems later so I think they just gave up. I got partial epilepsy later,then can't manage to treat.photophobia which makes me struggle in building with strong lights and I can't stay on a computer for long. I have glasses to help me cope better with lights but it still hurts.

Keep plugging away at them and also your GP for support.

Hope you can get a positive results soon, No one needs that stress as well

This is a very interesting thread! At first I was sure I'd be right back at work within a couple of months. How wrong was I! But like Lynne, I've come to understand that it doesn't make me weak. It's just the way it is. I might regain some energy, I might always stay like this, but at least I know I'm better than I was 6 months ago.

Having the SAH made me wake up and realise that I was letting the bills dictate what I did for a living rather than making the bills fit around me.... I am determined to never go back to working like I was before. We might be poor, but at least I'm not so stressed!

I went back to work part time five months after my SAH.It wasn't a good idea as mentally i was not strong enough to put up with other people and there misconseptions. i found it much to stress full. i was finished on ill health as i was in and out of hospital with further problems. i not bother about work as much as im enjoying my volunteering. You do get stronger with time.

I returned to work after 7 months on a phased return after about 6 months had worked up 30 hours but it was too much for me so gradually reduced my hours to 20. Financially I'm out of pocket but I think I have my work/life balance just about right now.

Well done. I tried a phased back to work, which was good until i had further medical problems. Its good to hear about how other people have got on.

RB-R said:
Hiya Everyone,

I went back to work 3months after SAH it was way TOO early, i only did thursday and friday mornings, im a senior hair stylist, it requires standing and talking to clients for about four hrs, way too much!!! I used to come home and crash for days, it would put me back in bed untill i hasd to go back to work. I was coming home to four kids and a husband, they have been great doing all the jobs around the house.

Now 7months since SAH, im still doing the same hrs, i dont crash every time, but still very exhasted after work :frown: I still can't do much else, and would'nt increase hrs yet. I used to work 2 12 hr days and 1 8hr day before SAH and there is no way i could do that now:crazy:

Hopefully this will improve as just like others has said i need it too because of the money part of it !!! I am getting more energy than before but will have my off days when i just cant do a thing, not even think straight:crazy:

You went back early. When i get back to work i would be in bed early and all i seem to do is work and bed. i felt that my life had been saved for more than that.

it interesting to see how other people cope with work.

Me again, I found that I had to put the practicle head on with how I am if I worked and done all the things you do normally like cook, clean, wash, iron day to day stuff, I just wouldnt manage, I did however go to college I got that through my OT at Rehab which meant that I was out 3 half days a week & I found that SO very tuff when it came to spending time with my husband on a Sat I just wasnt able, so in order to have some sort of a life, I've chosen not to work or even voulentry this works for me, ok its not easy moneywise but my quality of life is somewhat better...& a lot of the time people dont understand they think Oh arent you the lucky one.....er! dont think so:roll:

Hiya

I went back to work 11 weeks after being coiled! I now cannot believe I went back so soon, but was being told at the time, by friends, family and my GP that I needed to get back to normal!?!... yeah ok…

My work were going to allow me to do a 2-week phased return ( :yikes: )

Week 1 – Mon to Fri 9 til 1

Week 2 – Mon to Fri 9 til 3

Week 3 – back to full time

I didn’t think that would be possible… what I did manage to talk them round to was;

Week 1 – Mon to Weds 9 til 1, Thurs & Fri holiday

Week 2 – Mon to Thurs 9 til 3, Fri holiday

Week 3 – Mon to Weds 9 til 5.15, Thurs & Fri holiday

Week 4 - Mon to Thurs 9 til 5.15, Fri holiday

I then continued to take a days holiday each week for a number of weeks.

I struggled with the full-time hours and had migraine aura daily, and had to sleep an hour or two once I got home before I could even think about cooking dinner etc…It took me about 7 months post SAH to get back to the gym too.

I also struggled with a difficult colleague for 2 months after my return to work. He was very difficult about my need to have the blinds shut, because of light sensitivity, as it ‘could’ make him depressed not having natural light. The fact that it was highly likely that I ‘would’ get a migraine with the blinds open and be unable to work at all didn’t click. It ended in a mediation meeting with 3 managers present, and didn’t really resolve anything. I had to try to keep some of the blinds open. Like that helps… (yes I am still bitter about it all, even though he has left the company!).

I did get a fit note from my GP ay the end of May to reduce my daily hours by 1 hr per day for the month of June, but it didn’t make that much difference, just to my pay! So I went back to full time…

I still struggle a little with doing everything, but I live alone and have no kids or animals so my flat doesn’t get too untidy (luckily).

Kel

Louise said:
Me again, I found that I had to put the practicle head on with how I am if I worked and done all the things you do normally like cook, clean, wash, iron day to day stuff, I just wouldnt manage, I did however go to college I got that through my OT at Rehab which meant that I was out 3 half days a week & I found that SO very tuff when it came to spending time with my husband on a Sat I just wasnt able, so in order to have some sort of a life, I've chosen not to work or even voulentry this works for me, ok its not easy moneywise but my quality of life is somewhat better...& a lot of the time people dont understand they think Oh arent you the lucky one.....er! dont think so:roll:

I found your post very empowering and I hope others find strength in it. It is very refreshing to hear someone share how work was not possible for them because their health prevents it.

Work is only realistic for me, because my health is going to allow it. It has nothing to do with me possessing any extra determination, it is just that I am fortunate that my recovery has progressed the way it has. To that extent, those of us who are well enough to return to work are the lucky ones.

I am very supportive of people who are unable to work because of ill health. I always worry when I hear how some people return from their jobs exhausted and clearly distressed and I wish that society could look after people recovering from ill health a bit better.

I am very pleased that you have decided to ‘chose life,’ and that you recognise that the demands of the work place would detract from this.

How unfortunate would it be, to survive a sah and then hurl ourselves into an impossible work/life balance.

Well done Louise. I hope that some people reading your post gain confidence from it and acknowledge that it is ok not to work if they are unwell. It is the sensible option for some people, but I acknowledge that it can be a difficult decision emotionally, not to mention financially.

In supporting our cyber friends who cannot work, I hope the emotional decision is made that much easier.

Lynne xx

You went back early. When i get back to work i would be in bed early and all i seem to do is work and bed. i felt that my life had been saved for more than that.

it interesting to see how other people cope with work.

Wow, this speaks very loudly to me: I felt that my life had been saved for more than that.