'Old' SAH survivor still soldiering on but still struggling....

Mary Leyshon

I've only just found this site - I need it now more than ever it feels like!

I had a SAH in September 1990 (I was 23 and am still here!) - had it clipped then had post-operative fits then all was well and went on to have a son in 1993 and twin girls in 1995 (naturally! My Mum blames this for what happened afterwards). Having been told I'd been unlucky and to go and live my life, this is what I did (was not the same girl I had been though)

In 1997 when the girls were 18 months, had terrible eye pain headaches, double vision etc and was referred again by GP to neurosurgeon who thought it was stress. Anyway, emergency clipping surgery again ensued for another aneurysm whcih was caught just before rupture - my eye was in total ptosis by now and the pain was incredible but different from the SAH. They say this aneurysm hadn't been picked up in 1990......

Again, told I was fixed and to get on with my life. Two years later, started working full-time, as I still do.

So in 1997, I was told then I have another small one - a 'bleb' my surgeon called it. I had biannual angiograms until 2 years ago when I said 'no more' as I would be in agony and in bed for a week afterwards - the 'dye' in the angios apparently (?). I'm symtom-free and only suffer occasionally from migraines, which are frightening but I assess accordingly and have been right to date! I'll know if this one plays up and will get into A &E pronto. I

It's just my moods at the moment I get so tired, aggressive (not physically but verbally with the kids and my husband) angry and forgetful - my family is suffering. Such a long time ago but I feel so low - could it be affecting me now? My memory is shot - never really recovered from 1990.

I feel so lucky to be alive but so anxious and depressed. Is it my pituitary gland? Menopause worsened by neurosurgery?

Does this sound familiar to anyone or am I going mad?

Any reassurance gratefully received

Hi Mary, welcome to BTG!

Mary, you've really been through it! Since you were 23 in 1990 and continual angiograms, you are a trooper! I think I would say 'enough is enough' too!!

I wonder about perimenopause symptoms too, some are very similar to effects of the SAH. Forgetfulness, can't find the right word, emotional, aching, and tired. It's hard to know if these are menopause or SAH. I was feeling some of this prior to my SAH last November but everything is intensified now. I also wonder if these symptoms were not perimenopause but were signs that my head wasn't right. It's all very confusing.

Sandi K. Xo

Mary you've really been through it haven't you. Your 2nd anni sounds like mine, on the posterior communicating artery & caused a complete psotsis now resolved but I still ahve double vision at 8 months post clipping.

I would recc you see your GP about getting a hormone profile done, I thought I cold be peri menopausal but was found not to be. I have since started some rehab sessions at Headway & a mood managmetn course with the hosopital neuro phsych which are helping ( the Headway sessions more than the neuro psych ones to be honest) so it might be worth getting in touch with you lcoal Headway if you aone. Also as your GP about counselling as I'm

sure that would be of benefit to you.

I don't have a magic fix & aren't as far on as you but I can see/feel gradual improvement although I get down days & still shout at everyone about everything!!

HUg to you hon (())

Hi Mary welcome aboard,what a story you have to tell!

Little wonder you suffer from anxiety and depression your a marvel to have achieved all you have and by the sounds of you have a really positive attitude considering all you have been through!

Having been through the menopause (and safely delivered on the other side ..... just about everyone I know wore steel armour around me:roll:) sounds like these symptoms could be the start for you. It would be worth your while to go have a chat with your doctor.Big Hugs x

Hi Mary

Welcome to BTG, so glad you've found us. You have been through such a lot from such a young age.

Like the others have said maybe you need to speak to your GP. Have you ever been offered any counselling by your GP at anytime? SAH survivors can suffer with post traumatic stress and this will stay with you for years if you don't get some help. I am perimenopausal and was diagnosed with a blood test. I still have regular periods but they are becoming farther apart, 36days instead of my usual 28.They did a full hormone profile, including the hormones secreted by my pituitary gland. Looks like I may have a pituitary disorder. They think I may have a growth next to the gland and that this is squashing the part of the gland that secretes thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH). Again this has shown up in a blood test. I have very little TSH, very little T4 and normal T3. These are other thyroid hormones. As a result of the low TSH and T4 I am hypothyroid (underactive thyroid).

The symptoms I have for this are some fatigue, rosacea, puffy eyes, swollen fingers and ankles, dry brittle hair, loss of body hair, loss of the outer third and part of the inner section of my eyebrows, cold all the time and I'm slowly gaining weight. The fatigue hits me about 9pm and I am in bed and fast asleep by 10pm. I now have to wear socks in bed and a long sleeve t-shirt under my PJs! I've been told these symptoms will slowly get worse without treatment. My thyroid meds no longer work and it looks like I may need some surgery.

Since my SAH I don't get angry and have become one of the most laid back people I know! But I do suffer from anxiety. Again talk with your GP and get help with this. My memory can be rubbish at times, I write a lot of lists!! I'll say it again, you have been through a lot and are still dealing with such a lot. But also you have done amazingly well and you were only 23!! I was 49 when I had my SAH.

But there is always someone here to listen, whether you need to rant or whatever! Take care.

Edited by Liz D

Welcome Mary,

I was 34 when i had my SAH, im 35 now. I too have been to the DR to see about my periods, when i had the bleed for the whole stay in hosptia i had hot flushes every 20mins. Since being home i still get them but not as often and lot more things too. So im have a saliva test to see exatly whats going on. This will see if im perimenopaisal. So maybe the bleed has made things happen early on ????? We will see.

I had to have couselling to , to help with the anxiety, it really has helped loads. If you have not had any i would give it a go, ask your GP. Anytime you need a chat just PM.

Take Care Rhiann xxxxxx

Hi Mary, wow! you have been through some trauma over the years, glad you have come through it. I think you have done remarkably well, and maybe you now need some counselling or Headway are really good to get in touch with. I agree with the others, a trip to see your gp may help.

Glad you found us here on this site.

Vivien

Hi Mary

Warm welcome to the site.

another one saying Wow! what you've been through, & yes councelling would be a good idea Headway is the way to go...ditto what the others have said....

Glad you found us..

Take care

Hello Mary and welcome to BTG. I think you have done extremely well with all you have been through - it's hard work bringing up a family when in the best of health and knowing from a family member, who has twin girls (and 2 boys) that it is very hard work. The youngest of my own 3 was eight at the time of my sah and I'm sure having this has made it so much harder.

I definitely don't think you are going mad - on a quick calculation, I assume your girls are in their mid teens now, which is not always the easiest time to be a mother (I have a 15yr old daughter and 18 and 10 yr old sons) and find my patience is pushed to the limit sometimes. It might be worth a chat with your gp if it is really getting to you.

Sarah

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Mary

A belated welcome to you, certainly sounds like you've been through a lot in the last couple of decades. Its hardly surprising that you have a lot of irritability/anger and concentration memory issues is the bane of my life as well. Look forward to hearing more from you.