Interesting article in The Guardian today

That's interesting what's an angio negative patient? Is it a SAH with no known cause?

yes, or referred to as "non aneurysmal subarachnoid hemmorhage". he claims in the article that his doctors gave him the go ahead to resume all physical activities which is encouraging for people who are angio negative like me.

i am skeptical though of his claim that tripping over his dogs caused the bleed. the singer bret micheals also had an agio negative bleed and he claims being hit in the head by some lighting equipement caused his.

everything i have read doesnt seem to jive with those scenarios

Hi Mel, yes, I think that's what it means. They can't find the origin of the bleed. One doctor's application 'Up to Date' gives a theory that the leaky vein burst and was obliterated so when they go looking for it they can't find it. I don't know if that suits everyone but it's a theory that makes sense to me. I've always said 'my head exploded'.

Sandi K.

yes, or referred to as "non aneurysmal subarachnoid hemmorhage". he claims in the article that his doctors gave him the go ahead to resume all physical activities which is encouraging for people who are angio negative like me.

I asked my consultant when i could return to physical activities (cycling) and he told me to trust my body and listen to it. When you think your ready, give it a go.

I started very very slow walks and progressed back to the saddle, best thing i ever did....but i must say that a few times i didn't listen and suffered for it. My SAH was a dissection and not an anni....

Hey all

My understanding from various sources is that blunt force trauma to the head can cause a bleed as the brain is basically shook about inside the skull. Its kind of like a bruise on the skin from a bang - the bruise is actually burst blood vessels rising to the surface but because the skin isn't broken you get a bruise. If the same is applied to the brain from trauma to the head then it's possible and, Surfer, it would also back up your theory that non anuersymal bleeds are from veins or vessels rather than from arteries.

• 1 month later...

I bought the book and I was pretty dissappointed in the chapter about his SAH. He is a doctor so I was expecting a very detailed account of his medical course and such but it was all very vague. For instance he says he went to the hospital and "had scans done". Maybe the book was written for an audience who knows nothing about medicine and doesnt care but as someone who experienced a SAH I wanted more info and detail. Since I was an angiogram negative patient and so was he, I was VERY curious to hear his experiences and what his doctors advised and so forth. He mentions NOTHING except that no source of bleeding was revealed. He also mentions that it took him 8 days to get out of bed to use the bathroom, lol.

If anyone is interested in getting the book for the SAH portion dont bother. If you want it for the mountain climbing section then its a good read.

Hi Surfer! Thank you for letting us know.

I've just finished Chris Licht's 'what I learned when I almost died'. It was an easy read and I identified with a lot of it. He goes into some detail but doesn't get so technical that it's hard to follow. He writes about the tests and what was happening in his head. His bleed was also without an identified cause. I enjoyed the book.

Sandi K.

Thanks for the information provided in this thread - all helpful and interesting. I really appreciate you all taking the time to provide reference sources and medical information at any time. It helps to fill the massive gap of ignorance I have in this area.

Tracy