Katie, new member

Katie2918

Hi! I suffered a perimenesphalic"(sp?) SAH on July 15, 2011

I had gone out to dinner and was watching a movie with my husband and girls (age 11, 8 & 5) when I felt extreme pressure in the base of my head. Within 10 minutes it was so extreme and I became extremely sweaty. Husband threw me and girls in car and drove me to the ER. I began vomiting in car. Felt sure I would die in front of my children. Personally, my memory end there. But, ended up with initial CT that showed SAH within minutes of arrival. Then transferred via ambulance into our medical center/nations top stroke care hospital. Repeat CT that night. Stabilized in ICU. First angiogram at 6am showed no ani. Slept through next 5 days. July 20 had MRI which again showed no ani. Moved out of ICU. Had second angio on the 22. This showed vasospasms and sent back to ICU for 4 more days. Daily TCDs showed improvement. Released on July 26. Follow up scheduled for Oct 4.

Katie

Hello Katie,

Welcome to BTG. You're doing really well to be on this site so soon.

I'm sure it must have been traumatic for your young girls and hub to watch you go through.

Your'll find lots of support and advice here.

Wishing you well with your recovery.

SarahLou Xx

I found this site last night. I was SO frustrated. I spent the first week at home doing almost nothing. Monday of this week I went back to work or a half day as I own my own business and my partner had been doing it all for 3 wkd. I wanted to give her a break. I also ran some errands. Ended day exhausted and HUGE HA. Went to bed. Repeat next 3 days. Friday, I was crying and my eyes had so much pressure behind them. I was back to bed all afternoon and evening.

I'm getting depressed with all the laying around. My husband acts like I should be back to normal. It's hard taking the girls to their activities, feeding them, entertaining them. We go back to school in 1 week, which should be helpful. But, we'll also have to get on schedule which is more effort from me. I used to work out every morning. Not sure when I can do that again. Gaining weight. Frustrated! Wow, I'm seriously venting!

Katie

Hi Katie,

Welcome to BTG. Glad you found it/us.

I found my way here about 3 weeks ago now, which was 5 weeks after my "event".

I had a PMSAH on June 17th. I live on the West Coast of Canada. One thing I have encountered so far in my recovery process is a whole lot of frustration at how SAH's are dealt with here in North America. We are given very little information on the recovery process and many of us are told to resume our lives in a few short weeks.

Some people seem able to resume their lives fairly quickly. Others of us need MUCH more time to heal than we are given permission for by the medical providers (who, I have come to realize, have very very little information about what happened to us or what the road to recovery might look like). As a result, those of us who need more time to heal feel like there is something wrong with us, and/or we are damaged beyond repair.

I found my way here after a particularly frustrating day at work (my introduction is here) where I couldn't do what I thought were the simplest tasks. I was so frustrated at myself, but also realised that there was something more than just my own personal difficulties. I have found, through being here at BTG that what I was/am experiencing is completely normal for the recovery of SAH.

I would suggest you watch this video about patients experiences of SAH, with your husband as soon as possible. This may help you both to normalize what you are (both) experiencing.

Also, look around on the home page here at BTG (as you have the energy) and find links to info. There is way, way, way more information about what happened to us over in Great Britain, than there is here in North America. You will find links to downloadable PDF's on both what to expect, and how to support your healing.

Also, and this is very important with the headaches, drink 3 litres of water a day. I know it's a lot , but you'll find that it helps TONS with the headaches.

By the way, I have kids too. I have an 11 year old, and a 2 year old. We have had to put our 2 year old in childcare 5 days a week while my husband is working. I can parent the 11 year old (who is much more less high needs than the 2 year old), but I cant' parent the 2 year old by myself. When I start to get down on myself about my inadequacies as a mother, I remember that while she doesn't have her mama much at all these days, she does still have her mama. I will get better in time, and in the meantime, my husband is not a single parent widower dealing with his and our kids grief and my children still have their mama here.

Sorry if this is a tidal wave of information, I know it may be difficult to process info right now. I just wish that I had been given this information myself by the doctors or nurses who tended me...so I offer it to you.

I'm so glad you made it here. Vent away, the folks here understand and everyone has something useful to offer. What a godsend BTG is.

It may be helpful for your husband to look around here as well, he will learn that what you are experiencing is normal and perhaps let go of any expectations he may have for you.

Hugs,

Riane

Hi Katie

Welcome to the site.

3 weeks is no time at all after suffering SAH (with or without aneursym). Your body has been through a huge traumatic event and it is not possible for you to just get back to normal in a few weeks or even a few months.

Your brain needs time to recover from this. Have you got family and friends who can assist with daily life - cooking, cleaning, getting kids ready and taking them to school when they go back - for the coming weeks, to give you time to recover a little more?

Have you been advised to drink 3 litres of water a day? This helps ease headaches and unwell feelings.

I look forward to hearing more from you,

take care

Kel x

Wow Katie, sounds like you are trying to be SuperWoman.... Please, please slow down and give yourself time to heal, mentally and physically. Raine gives some excellent advice, she has some wise words. The last thing your'll want is to over do things as your'll probably end up finding your brain will go into shut down.

Please take care. And I hope you've not taken offence to anything I've said, it's because I care.

SarahLou Xx

Hi Katie, a warm welcome to BTG. I have to agree, the others are right. I think the hardest part is having to accept that life has to become a bit slower in order to gain the best in recovery, particularly, if your life beforehand was like mine and others on here - ie. non-stop! My 3 kids were slightly older than yours when I was ill (8,13&15) and carrying on as before (or more like having to) was no mean feat. I soon learnt to take up any offers of help. I also took 5 months off work, but running your own business might not prove as easy. Try not to get too frustrated as you really are in the very early days - I believe you will benefit much more in the long run if you do rest and drink plenty of water now and go along with what your body is telling you rather than trying to fight it. A common problem between us on here is that no-one can actually see a brain injury and therefore a lot of people just can't comprehend how much we are actually affected by it. Hopefully, you will gain a lot of insight from this site and will become better prepared for the recovery journey ahead.

Take care,

Sarah

Hi Katie

Warm welcome to the site.....

very early in recovery, lots of rest, listen to your body, keep the liquid intake up.

Personally I think your doing way too much, way to soon, if people think you should be back to normal, get them to have a look at this site, or the Brain & Spine foundation website.....

take care

Katie,

Try and do things you Like....So you are putting on weight ....bet I am the fattest here...lol...wow my claim to fame..

Started diet a month ago...love cakes !!!! ..went potty on chocs when I came around and was told what happened to me.....when things get rough for me...I sing..drives others potty........

Cheer up and do not ever give up

Love

WinB143 x

Hi Katie and welcome to BTG! So glad you found this site and so early on - a great thing :biggrin: All good info and suggestions from the others who've posted! I hope you're able to read and check out the information here, as you feel able. If you can get your husband to get on the computer and learn about what's happened to you, it will REALLY benefit you and your family.

There is little information (from the dr.s and hospitals) for us once they've "fixed" us and sent us home! I'm in FL and it seems they've no real idea of what we go through afterwards. It takes a bit of time for us (SAHers) to realize just what's happened and how serious the actual event was and then to give ourselves the time to heal and come to grips with everything.

Come here often - there are lots of good people here who will help you through and answer questions or point you in the right direction. We're all here to help and support one another.

Look forward to talking with you,

Carolyn