Hello MikeDee1957

mikedee1957

Friday afternoon, 7th October 2011

So there i was sat on the laptop, doing some work.

I'd had a headache, the numbing "oh it'll go away" type for the past few days.

Next minute I saw the images on screen go wavy, there was a bright white flash and..................

............."why is someone cradling my head? why can i feel blood on my head, my back, see it on the floor around me? Why is someone telling me an

ambulance is coming? Who needs an ambulance. Grief my head hurts!!!!!!!!!!!"

I'd blacked out, fallen onto our Stone floor, and was found gurgling, bleeding and mid-seizure by my wife. She got someone to dash to the neighbours

next door whilst she dialled 999. This couldnt be happening to Mike. He's never been ill. He's active fit and healthy.

Fortuneately the neighbours mother was there, she's a nurse and she came round, got me into recovery and took control.

Grief my head is gonna explode!!!!!!!!!

I'm put in the ambulance.

"Turn that siren off!!!"

Feel every road bump on the 15 minute ride to the Calderdale Hospital.

"Will someone please remove this head!!!"

You have no idea what's happening to you, but you know this is serious. Am I gonna die?

I'm cleaned up, my blue shirt is now red with blood, I'm told to stay awake, I'm put back in the ambulance for a half hour ride to Leeds General Infirmary.

I understand that somethings wrong with my head. But what? My wife's in the ambulance, telling me I'm going to be OK but I can see the fear in her

eyes.

I dont even care about the pain now, just let me go.

A weekend of pure agony whilst the powers that be decide what to do with me. Ive had a brain haemorrhage. Me-impossible!!! I'm indestructible arent !?

I feel like I'm going to die. People are visiting me I haven't seen in years. I know they are there. Are they coming to say goodbye?

Monday

I'm going for an operation. Through my groin???? Mad thought comes to me that I'm glad I didn't damage my groin or they'd be going through my brain?????!!!!!!!!!!!!:roll:

Six hours in operation, I can feel myself coming round. God I'm alive and i can feel someones taken the metal belt thats been squeezing my head since

friday off!!!

Now hows this for recuperation???

By Friday I'm home!!!! Yes, one week later!!!!

I'm weak, I'm tired, I've lost a stone- good diet this- the H(aemorage) Plan!!

Wednesday, gone out for a walk!!!!

No visible side effects!!

Inside not so great, bit weepy (NOT me!!), worried about the long term effects, tired obviously, and lost some of my sense of taste.

But hey, I'm here

I know it's gonna be slow progress, and I'll have to change the way I live but every day I feel a little more like me.

Dont give up.

Hope this helps someone.

Hi Mike, welcome to BTG, I'm glad you found us. Lots of support here. Did you have a NASAH? Nonaneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage? That's what I had and we are often home from hosp in a few days. Recovery still takes time though so please get lots of rest and drink plenty of water as the blood is being reabsorbed into your body.

Sandi K.

Hi Mike,

I liked the style of your writing - very impressed that you managed to write all that so soon after the event.

Unfortunately these haemorrhages don't tend to give us any warning - striking out of the blue. They can however leave us feeling very tired as the brain recovers from the trauma, so don't forget to work with your brain rather than against it - it will let you know when it needs a break.

I wish you well,

Sarah

Hello Mike,

Welcome to this wonderful site. It's been a god send to me.

The H Plan is a good diet, I lost about a week AND a stone, oooh get me!! Shame I've put it back on though!

Your post bought a tear to my eye and it made me laugh, very well written.

As others have said, take time to recover and have patience with yourself. Read ' a letter from your brain ' on the home page, it's a fantastic bit of writing. I draw strength from it often.

I wish you well with your recovery.

Take care and keep smiling,

SarahLou Xx

hi Mikr & welcome to BTG. I could do with the H plan diet but not the op that went with it. I lost a stone in 17 days but like SL put it all back on & more!!

If you find you are struggling it may be worth speaking to your local Headway & see if they can offer you support, their Intro to brainc injury course was very helpful as I am one of those people who needs to know what they are dealing with!

Don't see it as not doing anything, you are in actual fact allowing your brain to heal after a major trauma. You wouldn't be expected to be up & about doing your normal stuff after other major surgery so take it easy x

Hi Mike

Welcome to the site and to the family. It's good to see that you've not lost the most important thing - your sense of humour!! I could identify with practically everything you wrote.

Its been over 5 years since my SAH and I came away relatively unscathed physically and went back to work three weeks later - although I had a bed in my office;-). Now five years on I work 34 1/2 hours a week and get about six hours sleep a night - my husband puts this down to me being stubborn but it sure got me through - but I don't think I would have done had it not been for the massive support I got from this fantabulous site and the wonderful people on it.

Take care of yourself - don't fight it too much and it'll be a little easier to deal with - let the tears flow as it's all part of the process (PTSD). Seek counselling if you feel you need it becase it will make a massive difference to how you deal with things - and there's certainly nothing weak about facing your fears and feelings head on. Most importantly, listen to your body and do as it tells you to do andget plenty of fluids.

You sound like you're doing really well already and you are REALLY early in your recovery.

Look forward to chatting some more xx

Hello Mike,

Welcome to this wonderful site. It's been a god send to me.

The H Plan is a good diet, I lost about a week AND a stone, oooh get me!! Shame I've put it back on though!

Your post bought a tear to my eye and it made me laugh, very well written.

As others have said, take time to recover and have patience with yourself. Read ' a letter from your brain ' on the home page, it's a fantastic bit of writing. I draw strength from it often.

I wish you well with your recovery.

Take care and keep smiling,

SarahLou Xx

thankyou so much

people keep asking me when i'll be "back to normal" !!!!

little do they know i never was!!!!!!!!!!!:lol::lol:

Hi Mike,

Your post brings it home how amazing hospitals are, banging your head like that could've been misdiagnosed as the cause of your pain, brilliant that they worked out your bleed & fall was the cause of the head injury. Poor you, though, one of those at a time would have been more than enough!

You seem to be doing amazingly well. The emotional side takes a bit longer. No-one ever expects something so serious to happen to them and it takes a while to gat your head around it all.

Best wishes for your continued recovery. Hope to hear more from you and how you are getting on.

Michelle

Hi Mike

Welcome to the site!

Great account of your SAH. You were also lucky to be out of hospital after a week. It is good they located your SAH so quickly.

The emotional side of things does take time. I am nearly 2 years post-Sah and most of the time I am okay but occassionally I feel very emotional about it all. It has got a lot better though and I did have some counselling initially.

Take care of yourself and try to allow yourself to rest and heal.

Kel

Hi Mike

Welcome to the site!

Great account of your SAH. You were also lucky to be out of hospital after a week. It is good they located your SAH so quickly.

The emotional side of things does take time. I am nearly 2 years post-Sah and most of the time I am okay but occassionally I feel very emotional about it all. It has got a lot better though and I did have some counselling initially.

Take care of yourself and try to allow yourself to rest and heal.

Kel

thanks for your kind words

x

Hello Mike,

Enjoyed reading your story and I loved your line........

I'm going for an operation. Through my groin???? Mad thought comes to me that I'm glad I didn't damage my groin or they'd be going through my brain?????!!!!!!!!!!!!

Strength and humor are two of the best qualities to get a person through this, along with a good dose of being kind to yourself and not overdoing it.

Welcome :)

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the site. I thought your post was terrific and it sums up everything you feel when you have an SAH and the feelings we go through after it all. It gives you a whole new outlook on life and hopefully makes us better people.

I have found that people think we are over it all because we do not have any scars or any obvious signs, but it is how we feel inside that takes alot longer to heal.

Hope to speak to you again

Robert P.