The intensity of emotions

Not sure if anyone else has noticed any increased emotions. It seems if I want to do something, I really want to do it even if it's not the best idea and I can think through it later. Or if I'm startled, I'm really startled. Emotions seem so overwhelming sometimes...even the good ones.

Does anyone else experience intense emotions?

I have always felt my emotions are very strong..... like/dislike and no inbetween ...but since pop in head I am terrified of travelling by car.

If hubby gets too close to another car,. I am terrified....I have my hands and legs at the ready to brake..lol and I am not even driving...

I have become a back seat driver arghhhh !!....I cry at the drop of a hat..okay who dropped that hat ???? j/k.

But seriously..I do get emotional ....ie crying and eyes all red...paint a pretty pic..lol ..but as long as I get better every day ie

walking...I am content....some mornings I get up and ache..but other days are better and if I walk 100 steps that is good for me..

My aim is get skipping rope and skip with my daughter shhh she doesn't know this yet..lol..Her Mum (me) is good.at skipping.

Just a bad walker..lol

Be Well KP and skip xx

Love

WinB143 xx xx

There's quite a lot of chat on here about the startle reflex, it seems it's quite a common thing. My GP told me it's because your system has just had a massive shock. Back in Feb, I got a fright so badly that I fainted. A bit extreme I know, but this seems to have reset everything. I rarely get a fright now and it had become ridiculous before - to the point where I would hang some sheets on the line and then immediately get a massive fright from those same sheets! Not that I'm recommending passing out obviously :lol:

I have found that everything seems to be amplified. I don't get angry, I get furious. I don't get upset, I get devastated. On the flip side if something strikes me as funny, I'll laugh til I cry. I don't really see an improvement in any of these things yet but I'm hoping it will all level off one day in the same way that the taste distortions suddenly vanished.

I have ALWAYS startled easily now it is worse than ever. I can jump and scream at my own shadow. It's awful. My husband scares me several times a week just doign nothing but I am so focused on my business I see him and scream.

Sorry but we all sound like a comedienne named ermmm ..Catherine Tate....she does a bit..where she screams when hubby says certain things to her..thats us ..lol...she also does a Nan who shows undies and swears at grandson...she ends it saying

"The Dirty B's....... ohhhh !!

Love to All

WinB143 xxx

I do tend to cry more than I did before, I get anxious when paying the bills. If there is something on my mind before I go to bed I need to resolve it or I wont sleep.

It is like a double edge sword. the emotions are there but I dont have the gumption I need to resolve them. Almost like I am too self aware and don't have the skills to deal with it. Yeah thats my story and I am sticking to it.:crazy:

I can so relate to this 'startle reflex', although it has got slightly better over time. Early days/weeks/months post-sah I would startle so easily...

And I definitely have heightened senses. I still suffer light and noise sensitivity, and strong smells can be overwhelming and can cause headache/nausea... esp. perfumes, although I have had that for years. I did suffer light sensitivity for many years prior to my sah, but my neuro-consultant did say that my annie had probably been growing for at least 8 years (the length of time I suffered migraines...) and it could have been even longer than that.

I had an annie SAH but we all seem to suffer similar symptoms/after-effects etc whether non-annie or annie!

quote kpaggett "Not sure if anyone else has noticed any increased emotions. It seems if I want to do something, I really want to do it even if it's not the best idea and I can think through it later. Or if I'm startled, I'm really startled. Emotions seem so overwhelming sometimes...even the good ones"

I find it very difficult to make my mind up on some things; where to go out to eat, what to eat, what to buy... and then I really want one thing and buy it/get it/do it, and then that usually turns out to be a bad decision and I wished I'd gone with the alternative!... hmmpff

quote DawnS " I don't get angry, I get furious. I don't get upset, I get devastated" I get insanely furious about some things... where I could get a little annoyed, and then a few days later I realise that I shouldn't have got so mad about it all... :crazy: it can be frustrating...

In the main though, things have got better since the early days post-sah. I can sit in a busy bar or restaurant and 'cope' now, whereas it used to drive me almost insane, and would tire me out to the point of wanting to cry and then sleep! Things can get better.. and hopefully will for all of you who are still early days/weeks/months post-SAH :-)

Take care all

Kel x

Kel is right, it does get better.

I'm at about 19 months now post NASAH and I'm still sensitive to noise, light, and smells too but all have eased up gradually since the early days. Same with my startle reflex and anxiety. I would also jump when Peter walked into a room even if I knew he was on his way into the room. :roll: For a few months I was really scared to walk my dog too far from my house. I was afraid we would be attacked by dogs or a cougar. I would unlock our house doors and then walk Farley around the house, always close to a door so we would have easy access to safety. Thankfully that feeling went away, what a relief!

I can sit in restaurants now but do better in quiet ones than noisy. The noiser it is the more concentration is required at the table and the more drained I am at the end. I always wear sunglasses, even on cloudy days. I never go anywhere without earplugs, sunglasses, and a bottle of water.

Sandi K.

I can sit in restaurants now but do better in quiet ones than noisy. The noiser it is the more concentration is required at the table and the more drained I am at the end. I always wear sunglasses, even on cloudy days. I never go anywhere without earplugs, sunglasses, and a bottle of water.

Sandi, in my early years, I also used to carry a bottle of water with me, it was like a comfort blanket....not sure why, but it helped. Even now, when I go on a longer journey I still take a bottle of water with me. I always have sunglasses with me....come rain or shine... :wink:

I don't think that I'm any further on with noisy environments or crowds, I deal with them, but will opt for a quieter place to be, if there's a choice. I think that I'm probably just becoming more accustomed to my brain and what it can deal with.

As for being startled, then I had the same and was told by my Doc that I had an exaggerated startle reflex due to the bleed .... it really does calm down with time and mine has pretty much gone now. Intensity of emotions is the same and mine was over the top to say the least ... this has also calmed down and is now pretty much normal and at pre-SAH levels. xx

I do tend to cry more than I did before, I get anxious when paying the bills. If there is something on my mind before I go to bed I need to resolve it or I wont sleep.

It is like a double edge sword. the emotions are there but I dont have the gumption I need to resolve them. Almost like I am too self aware and don't have the skills to deal with it. Yeah thats my story and I am sticking to it.:crazy:

Wow, that's totally me, Carl! That last part about not having the gumption to deal with it sometimes. Yesterday, I was at church and felt a churning in my stomach (This always happens before I cry now) - Anyway, I tried so hard to "Deal with it" but to no avail. By the time I told my husband, he asked me a question and just trying to formulate and answer pushed me over the top and I cried. Then I left the service and calmed down in another room and was fine. Why can't I deal with it before it happens? The gumption part is what I need and also what I don't have. I have to accept that I don't have it anymore, but that's easier said than done. I hate having to accept so many strange/yucky things at once!

~Kris