Hairdressing sinks

Hi

Has anyone been told not to have your hair washed in the traditional way at the hairdressers i.e. sat in chair with your head tilted backwards over the sink? Someone has just told me that this has been linked to causing strokes!

Is this just an old wives tale or is their any truth in it? The internet hasn't been that forthcoming with info on this matter.

Any advice is appreciated.

Gaynor

I had a Vertebral artery dissection after my angiogram when someone picked up the scope and torn my artery. It was the worst pain ever- total electricity coming out of my eyes and finger tips. It was the only time I have ever lost it with pain and was screaming like crazy. I had to be very careful at the salon for 3 months after that, as my surgeon said it was right up there with brain surgery. It was during one of my "last" test after SAH etc.......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertebral_artery_dissection

I never read or talk about this too much as it is rare but ...now that someone put it out there. I wear my hair short so I have to go to salon monthly - I always have my neck padded when leanin gmy head back. MMos tof my headaches start in my neck and always have.

MB

Yep heard of this too and was told to warn the hairdresser of what had happened to me and to ask them to put a towel in the dent of the basin to pad the neck - much more comfortable and my hairdresser was more than happy to do so.

I keep my hair short too and have saved goodness knows how much money by buying a thinning comb (like a normal cmb but with scissor like blades in the comb). I just run it through my hair (following the style) every couple of weeks and it keeps the hair short and neat so I don't need to go for a trim.

I read about this somewhere when I was searching for information about causes of brain bleeds. My hair stylist does what Sami's does, puts a towel in the part where my neck bends back. Shortly before my SAH the salon bought new sinks that are more comfortable, meant for elderly ladies who have limited flexibility. Those sinks are far more comfortable than the old kind. The sinks are higher and you don't have to bend so far back.

My chiropractor told me I should never ever allow any chiro to adjust my neck too. Back ok but not neck, only very gentle movements.

Sandi K.

Yep heard of this too and was told to warn the hairdresser of what had happened to me and to ask them to put a towel in the dent of the basin to pad the neck - much more comfortable and my hairdresser was more than happy to do so.

I keep my hair short too and have saved goodness knows how much money by buying a thinning comb (like a normal cmb but with scissor like blades in the comb). I just run it through my hair (following the style) every couple of weeks and it keeps the hair short and neat so I don't need to go for a trim.

When i was being discharged from hospital after my SAH the nurse said to me that when i eventually do go to the hairdressers always use a sink and lean forwards when ever i have it washed....Also my hairdresser is fantastic it and it really great and she makes me feel so confident when im having my hair done....

I had never heard of this either. It's a little bit scary. I don't like having a back tilting wash either and always stagger & trip over things after it but bending forwards (like when gardening has the same effect :crazy:). Found your link really interesting Karen along with all the other comments - thank you.

Michelle xx