Ceekay, new member

Ceekay

Hello everyone.

I've been reading the site for the last couple of days, soooooo glad I found it!

Thought it was time I said hello.

I went to work on 27th July this year, and woke up in University Hospital of Wales 5 days later and was told I'd had SAH. Apparently I'd had 2 bleeds and had been coiled.

I was in hospital for 2 weeks, on the high dependancy ward the whole time and felt entirely abandoned once discharged as there seems to be no support system in my area

I'm told I have recovered remarkably well, and don't appear to have any left over symptoms (according to them) other than a current bout of sciatica which is not being treated as very urgent, despite the fact that if I'm walking around for longer than 10-15 mins , my right thigh goes dead!

The other change that I'm aware of is a much shortened temper than I previously had, and obviously the fatigue that appears to very common.

Anyway, that's my intro for today and I look forward to chatting more

X

Hi Ceekay,

welcome to BTG! As you've already seen, it's a brilliant site full of information. I can guarantee you'll learn more about sah from this site than any other source!

The complete lack of aftercare seems to be rather a consistent theme unfortunately. Is there a Headway in your local area that you could make use of? I found it very helpful to meet people who have suffered brain injury though I have to admit, I'd love to meet another person who has had sah!

I wish you all the best and look forward to chatting to you more,

Dawn x

Hi Ceekay

Great to meet you virtually. I'm glad to hear you're doing ok but tke it easy. My temper was awful but improving a bit now. Dawn is right, headway are excellent, or look for some other support. Don't accept the , 'you're alright ' cut loose discharge.

I have found so much comfort and support here. I hope you do too.

Daff x

Hi Ceekay

A warm welcome to BTG - good that you found us so early into your recovery especially as there is such a lack of information/support when you leave hospital. That aspect doesn't appear to have improved at all since I had mine nearly 4 years ago. Like Dawn said you'll probably learn more from this site anyway - I'm sure you'll find being amongst other sahers is very helpful and reassuring.

Best wishes,

Sarah

Hi Ceekay I'm Cath I had a burst berry aneurism resulting in sah and coiling November las year , I also woke up in UHW,I agree with the lack of aftercare nobody could believe I was discharged from high dependency with not even a follow up letter. There is a headway in Cardiff I've been there once ,but in fairness don't know if there was much I needed off them.How are you feeling now ? This is a great site for support everyone in very friendly welcome x

Hi Ceekay

Warm welcome to the site, so glad you found us.

Yes it seems like that across the board not-a-lot-of aftercare/help, with your GP you have to tell them how you are & how its effected you then they wont know, they probably havnt had another SAH patient before, I know I was the first in our surgery.....

take care

Thanks everyone.

I actually went to Dr's last week re the numb leg. He called the hospital where I was treated and had me re admitted as he had no idea what it was. After being in the assessment unit for a couple of hours and being poked and prodded by a couple of Dr's, they came to the conclusion that it was probably sciatica, but I needed another MRI and as it was so soon after I'd had one, well 2 I found out, they would have to discuss the best route with another Dr and would send for me.

That was 10 days ago :(

On a good note though, I have my regional Headway meeting next Monday. Been to one before, lovely people who are very apologetic that if I lived in Cardiff there's a whole load of support available but I'm a couple of miles outside the area!

X

Welcome Ceekay

I hope you feel happier soon and you get rid of pain in back.

I can only walk a little way but sticking with it....

Good luck on walking and never give up, we got over SAH so we can beat the back and we will walk again I hope xx

Be Well and Happy and sing xx

Best wishes

WinB143 xx

Thanks everyone.

I actually went to Dr's last week re the numb leg. He called the hospital where I was treated and had me re admitted as he had no idea what it was. After being in the assessment unit for a couple of hours and being poked and prodded by a couple of Dr's, they came to the conclusion that it was probably sciatica, but I needed another MRI and as it was so soon after I'd had one, well 2 I found out, they would have to discuss the best route with another Dr and would send for me.

That was 10 days ago :(

On a good note though, I have my regional Headway meeting next Monday. Been to one before, lovely people who are very apologetic that if I lived in Cardiff there's a whole load of support available but I'm a couple of miles outside the area!

X

Hi Ceekay is it a support group you go too , i live a couple miles outside cardiff dont know of any support groups that exist . Cath

There's an evening one, one Wednesday a month too... This months is 17th.

I do find it useful, though a bit quiet at the mo, but they are planning on a relaunch for the new year and trying to make it more of a social event too

X