hello, an update

hwyaden

Hubby is doing really well since I was logging in here every day. 

We're still waiting for an outcome of the complaint against UHW Cardiff and have now got our Assembly Members involved as the hospital just keep ignoring me. 

Conrad should have had his 6 month check up back in June but only now has he got an appointment for the end of September and that has taken many phone calls and emails to sort out. 

Conrad is walking much better now but the pain he gets on his bad side gets him down a lot. His aphasia is improving all the time and he's getting more confident in speaking to people, and not minding so much when they can't understand him. 

He's managed to get his full PIP award after waiting since January so he went straight out and sorted a mobility car so we won't have to struggle with our old banger any more :)

He tells me more and more about the hospital each day, and new things I have learnt are that they used to shower him in cold water if the hot had run out, take his meals away because he couldn't eat with one hand, shout at him because he couldn't see things next to him (he has right-sided hemianopia) and wouldn't take him to the toilet when he asked, leaving him wet and unplugging his buzzer. He's very traumatized since his stay and I wish I could make it all go away for him. 

He asked me to post his point of view about the stroke on here as he hopes it will help someone else who is caring for a loved one going through the same thing. 

He says he remembers little of the days after he came out of his coma but what he does remember is the need to fight to wake and stay alive so that he could see me and the kids. He says he was terrified that if he let go and died then that would be the end, he would never be able to see us again and that's what kept him going through the whole thing. 

So if anyone is caring for someone in those early dark days never forget that even if they are unconscious they are thinking about you and loving you and fighting their way back to you. Never give up hope, they are still in there somewhere. 

I was told so many times to prepare for the worst, that he wouldn't come home, that he would end up with terrible disabilities and he's proved all the doubters wrong. I'm so very proud of him I could burst.  :)  :)  

• Like 3

Lovely to hear about the positives with Conrad ... but so very sorry to hear how he has been treated ... it's really enough to make anybody weep.

Great to know that Conrad is sharing his story with us and you are too....it really does make a difference.

Say "hello" to Conrad from me ... I can remember fighting too and if he's still feeling traumatised please do tell his GP and get him referred for counselling. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is something that many of us suffer with flashbacks ... I wish that I knew then, what I do now, but didn't have the knowledge ... I couldn't sleep and had flashbacks and many of the other symptoms.

What Conrad has suffered, is probably a lot worse than many of us .... it's always good to talk.

Hugs and love to you both. xxxx 

So if anyone is caring for someone in those early dark days never forget that even if they are unconscious they are thinking about you and loving you and fighting their way back to you. Never give up hope, they are still in there somewhere.

I was told so many times to prepare for the worst, that he wouldn't come home, that he would end up with terrible disabilities and he's proved all the doubters wrong. I'm so very proud of him I could burst. :) :)

It is so good to read that Conrad is doing well. :)

It really upsets me to read how he was treated in the hospital, in fact it makes me feel sick to my stomach :(

I hope things get resolved soon and all is well at his follow up appointment.

As Karen has said go to your GP for counselling if Conrad is still feeling traumatised.

Thank you for posting your update, it will help many.

Hugs to both of you, take care xx

So glad Conrad is doing ok and making progress. The hospital treatment sadly I am not surprised . I had counselling for PST and it has really help me to feel less fearful and let go of some of my experiences so I hope that he can get the same support. Thanks for the update. Well done all of you x

Three cheers for Conrad, and what an inspiration you and your kids must be to him!  Excellent fighting qualities and he won in the end!  You are absolutely right to be livid with the treatment he received, but is someone carrying on for others who have now to put up with it?

It makes me angry because the treatment I got was absolutely first class - I could not have asked for better, even if I had gone private!! It's so annoying that there are people drawing wages for not doing their jobs properly and for not even having the grace to admit 'there but for the grace of God go I.' Where is their milk of human kindness?  Don't let them get you down -you have fought and won, rise above them - maybe you can forgive but not forget?  After you report them!

When you are vulnerable the last thing you need is people without care, compassion or humility - you shouldn't be kicked when you are down!  What goes around comes around!

Good luck to you and your family!

Macca

Hi Hw

As I have said to you before, I am so glad my hubby never listened to OT's who

said put her in home etc. etc. 

Look forward and never look back and with your help he will get better.

Good luck to you both xx

Love

WinB143 xx xx now sing and smile xx