new member - Teri

catdad4

Hello, my name is Teri. I suffered a subarachnoid hemorrhage in October of 2000. I like to say that my brain wasn't Y2K compliant! Anyyway, I had never heard of a sah, nor had I ever really had a headache. I was a 41 year old , married, working Mom with 2 awesome sons.

That day was as if my life ended and I had to start a new one, a life full of pain, fear, anxiety, confusion, and any other scary awful word you could think of. I woke up at 5:30 am and started getting ready for work. As I stepped out of the shower, I felt a bolt of electricity in my talebone and it traveled up my spine and then a huge explosion in my head. The shock immediately turned into a horrific, pulsating headache that made me fall down. I crawled to the bathroom door and started to bang on it for help.

My husband helped me up and we went to the e.r. From that point on I don't remember much, just that my head hurt really bad, and I threw up a lot. Since this happened to me 14 years ago, a lot has changed in the medical world on the topic of sah's and headaches. Mostly I see a little more knowledge about what the dr. should do in the early stages but not much progress in how to handle the aftermath, the nuclear fallout after the bomb has exploded in your head!

I have head pain every day, and severe migraines every 7-10 days. I am on a pain management plan in which I take a 24 hour morphine pill and I take norco for breakthrough pain. I see a pain managementt. therapist once a week. I think, for me, I have to learn how to live with pain, and to try to stop avoiding life. It is so easy and safe and stay at home and not interact with anyone but there is no joy in that. I need joy! So, I put one foot in front of the other and stay positive.

• Like 3

Hi Cat,

I also had an SAH followed by Ventriculitis and Sepsis and my husband was told I'd never walk again by OT's. huh !!

Proved them wrong lol

My Sisters used to sing to me, and after I had a shunt fitted I came out of cuckoo land.

This was in 2009 SAH and a year later 2010 the shunt put in.  I find singing helps although it drives my family potty.

I am so happy to be alive even though I cannot walk very far but 60/100 yards means I have my dignity back.

Cheer up if possible as we made it and we are here to tell our stories.  I wish you well and welcome to BTG xx

Best Wishes

WinB143 xx

• Like 1

Hello Cat!  So great to have you around all these years after your sah and continually working on finding your joy in life!  It's often an elusive thing but you sound determined so I know you'll find it.  Inch by inch.  My sah was July 3 this year.  I don't remember the thunderclap headache or the next 4 weeks after for that matter but my headache started in at 5 weeks.  

I, too, was on heavy narcotics each day.  4 months later I am down to 1/2 doses of oxycodone and no longer use the narcotic patch.  Hope you are being checked here and then in your recovery and SINCERELY hope your headache will take a hike and give you some peace.  

Much joy to you

Carolynusa

• Like 1

Hi Cat

I always love it when someone who had their SAH years ago finds us and joins us.  It gives the newbies hope and inspiration.

I'm sorry that you're still suffering with the pain so long after and can only hope for you that it eases at some point.

So glad you found us x

• Like 2

Thank you so much for welcoming me! Yes, I have been dealing with severe pain and other health problems after my bleed. But my goal has always been to stay strong and positive. I have tried everything' including major narcotic treatments that turned me into a zombie. So, I went to rehab and realized I was trying to live pain free. That is impossible!

Now, after years of therapy I know that I can live with some pain and still have a life. It is still very hard to navigate through this life but so far so good. I hope to learn from this group and maybe I can add info tht could help someone.

14 years is such a wonderful achievement. I look forward to saying mine was 14 yrs ago. You are correct, one life stops and the other one begins. We didn't ask for it but we got it. I get angry and frustrated but then I turn to see others that have such incredible struggle in their lives and thank God I am here and can proudly say I AM WONDER WOMAN!

I am sorry you have such pain and I am sure you have been through the ringer of trying everything to control the pain. Chin up and forward move. That's all we can do.

Iola

• Like 2

Hi Cat
14 years is a long time to live with daily pain And it sounds like you have tried most things to battle with it and kept a positive attitude, well done and I hope that you find a way to live with the deficits your SAH has left you with and the pain becomes a more manageable part of life for you. I was 39 when I had mine, so similar in age to you when you had yours and it is very hard to accept that everything changed almost overnight and I cant do what I did previously.

I still find that I have to pace everything so differently and even then that doesnt always work and then I just have to stop and let the pain and discomfort pass, it's hard though.

Keep going Cat and I am sure other members will benefit from your experience

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

14 years Cat!  Brilliant!  Then there's hope for us all!  Yippeeee!  

Sorry you have to endure the pain, but so many of us have bouts of it but not constant, thank heavens!  Well done for finding us Cat.  We look forward to many more posts from you!

Stay positive - that is the right way to be even when you're feeling down!

If you want to rant or let off steam, this is the place to do it!

regards 

Macca