Catching a Break

Do you ever feel like you just can't catch a break. To look at me you would never know I had cancer 15 years ago, a brain hemorrhage almost two years ago, and on a whim, because two of my sisters had thyroid cancer, had a sonogram on my thyroid and guess what, they found a nodule. Ugh! They have not biopsied it yet but the dr said it did not look cancerous but with my family history it is a concern. So, my mother and grandmother both passed away from hemorrhagic strokes so that seems hereditary and now this.

I'm a praying girl so I am very thankful whatever this is has been caught early just like the bleed. I was in a very good place when the bleed happened. I feel blessed in so many ways but the idea of surgery and laying in a bed again makes me depressed. And the thought of putting my family, especially my daughter, through any kind of fear again is very distressing.

I am jumping the gun a bit, but, good grief, I would like a break for a change!

I

• Like 1

"I"

I know what you mean and it must be hard for you.

But you want all to be clear so you can see more and more of your

lovely daughter.

So head up and as my brother says "Brave soldier" xx

I had a lump once and I was so afraid but it turned out to be nothing phew !!

I'll pray for you also and good luck xx 

Love

Win xx Now remember sing with your daughter xx

• Like 4

Iola - for heaven's sake - you have been through it.  I'm so sorry for this newest thing but you're so strong I know you will be fine.  Ride with it and you will come out the other side an even stronger person who can enjoy her family to the fullest.

Don't want to take away from your thing but might help to hear:  When I started menopause I was a mess.  Depression set in and I had to start anti-depressants; I got very sick with some kind of upper respiratory thing;  so I went to the doctor (hadn't been in ages).  They did pap smear which came back suspicious; doc discovered lump in breast so ordered immediate mammogran.  Then my regular doctor called and said they had found a strange thing in my lungs (from cat scan).

So..I had all this going at once and was sure it was over for me.  My husband and children were devastated.  A week or two later my phone started ringing - nothing was the matter with me at all!  Nothing!  All of the fear and depression and family stress for nothing!  But!  It was good to have it all checked and I could be at peace until SAH last year.  Who coulda known about that?

I will also be praying for great results from your test.  Keep positive and it won't hurt to do a little singing as Win says.  

Much love,

Carolynusa

• Like 6

Iola- Wow!!!  You have been thru so much! I know that it is worse not knowing- sitting and waiting. I feel for you! I am praying that you will get the good news and soon! It is hard but try to keep your thoughts on something else. You certainly don't have very good family history. My husband, Bob lost his grandfather to lung cancer before I met him. After we were together for a few years he just turned 40 and lost both of his parents to lung cancer, then to make it worse he lost his grandmother all within 2 years and he is/was an only child. So because of his family history he is very good about going to the docs, getting blood work or whatever tests done. He's had skin cancer twice, but they caught it early enough.

So please do the same and go to the docs early and often. It does pay off. You want to be there to see your daughter grow up, graduate, get married, have kids and be the amazing mom that you are!!

Please keep us up to date on your test results.

I will be thinking of you and praying extra!!

• Like 3

I,

I too had some nodules come up from all the CAT scans they did, they noted them.  I went and had Thyroid hormonal tests done and they came back normal, so I figured that my hot tea drinking was showing up.  1/2 the time all these tests are so sensitive that things come up as possible or we need to do another test to actually see what's going on...and then it turns out to be 'nothing'.  Nothing?  It is surely terrifying to the person who is being kept in that state of not knowing.

I hope you are one of these people and that all your final tests come back with a more definitive negative for you.  It always seems like if the last hit didn't kill you, then next one could.  There always seems to be that next one, doesn't it?  At least it does for me.  I can get into a real freak out mode so easily now.  I just wish we didn't have to be put in that state of worry all the time.  I know I could do without it tacked on to my regular crazy day/week/month!

Hang in there and let us know how things are progressing.  I'll be keeping you in my thoughts.

~Kris

• Like 2

Dear Iola you are in my thoughts and prayers.  Sometimes it must feel like you fight and win one battle and then another one starts! Feel for you lovely lady and wish you all that is positive and good.

Take good care and let us know how you are doing....we are always here for you xx   

• Like 1

Iola,

It always seems so unfair when these things happen to good people when you see all the terrible things going on in the world. However good people, like you, are strong and resilient and you have strong personality traits, a close and loving family and the wider family of your faith to help see you through this.

If willing you to get better and stay strong is a help, then I am sending you all I can muster.  You are a great lady and I'm sure you'll see this off in your cool, sleek and ruthlessly efficient way.  You should be resolute in your defiance and believe in your desire to be well.

There's no doubt you are being tested, but you know what, treatments and medical knowledge are now much better than they've ever been and if it's been caught early that's a very good reason to be optimistic about the future.  Don't jump the gun though, you still may find it's benign, I hope it is.

I trust that whatever the outcome you will come through, stronger than ever!

You're in our thoughts!

Macca

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Just a quick update. Went to see the doctor today about the results and thank goodness the nodule is benign. They will have to keep close tabs on it but that was such good news. I have been praying so hard and honestly had to just give it to a God because my poor brain could not could not stand the stress of the worry.

Thank you my friends for being ever supportive.

Iola

• Like 6

Iola,

Thanks for sharing your fears, actions and outcome...I am just beginning to realize that I may have a few fears stuck in an old closet that may need to see the light of day as a result of my recent SAH.  Glad to hear that the prognosis is good.  

john 

Praise the Lord! Definitely give it to God. I'm not good at that. I do give it to Him, but often I wrestle it back from Him. He understands. He made me stubborn that way. However I find when I finally do just give it up in exhaustion, it is such a relief. So thankful you can rest easy now.

• Like 2