What are you anxious about Mandie ?

Is it what lies ahead for you ?  Well rather than worry write down what's playing on your mind and let it out.

Even if you cry while typing, I have shed many a tear while writing,  some with laughter and some feeling down.

Now mainly I cry at my silly posts and some replies I get (All laughter) xx

You'll get there now relax if possible xxx

Now try and turn the corners of your mouth upwards xx Good luck, I dare you to smile !! see how you feel xx

Win xx xx  mouth upwards remember  xx

• Like 3

Hi , I agree with the others, get some help, don't suffer alone with this. I don't think its a symptom of the SAH although not uncommon with any head injury as we suffer a sudden trauma, everything changes and then this fear and uncertainty lodges and the viscous pattern and circle of anxiety can easily come in.

Try if you can to relax when those feelings come with no warning, . Breathe deeply and if you can try to think of different happier thoughts. Talk to yourself and Tell youself you are safe and it's ok to feel like this. Be kind. Wait for it to pass and drink plenty of water ...But please do seek help.

• Like 5

After my counselling for the aftermath of SAH it was evident for me that the anxiety was directly linked to the SAH and the emotional trauma that followed.  I was never an anxious person pre SAH and took everything in my stride and all hits on the chin.  Since the SAH I do get anxious and, just after, the anxiety was almost debilitating but with counselling and time it has got considerably better to the point where I now very rarely get anxious.

See your GP and ask if you can be referred for counselling - it does help more than you can imagine x

• Like 5

Following my SAH, my interventional radiologist told me that post-traumatic stress anxiety is not uncommon and suggested I give it some time. I talked to myself alot and my lab Annie became my surrogate nursemaid. With time the anxiety lessened, but was still present. I finally saw a neurologist who explained that the part of my brain that was impacted contols fear, which would explain heightened anxiety.

I now take a medication that helps. Bottom line: if the anxiety is affecting your quality of life, see a medical professional. And don't be stubborn like I was and try to tough it out for 5 years!

• Like 6

I too had very heightened anxiety and was anxious about anything.  I still have this, but I am able to control the cascading stress reaction better.  I can sense the beginnings now and can deal with them early.  It is nothing in particular that I am anxious about, but just that generalized damaged area in the lower brain regions that some of us get.

I also was treated for PTSD by a neuropsychologist and it was the best appointment that I ever made, but the hardest to make because of all the mental health stigma that's out there.  I'd advise to go and check it out.  You can always decide not to go at any time.  

On an aside note, isn't it interesting how we feel like we're out of control when we can't suppress our emotional state?  After observing this in myself, I came to realize that the control I once experienced was really a mask for how I really felt.  The mask has been removed and I feel really intensely and that can be a better guide sometimes that what I THINK.

It helps me to see where potential danger lurks.  It helps me to really know who has my best interest at heart, etc.  I'm getting to know it as a strange friend that I just met recently, but somehow we have that special connection that you rarely find.

~Kris

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...