Noise tolerance

Hi,
I had an SAH at the end of May. I had coiling done and have since then been progressing quite well on my road to recovery.

Apart from other wee bits that still are a tiddly problem but are getting better I have this chronic issue with noise. I have gone from someone with reasonable hearing to having hearing like a bat but it is overwhelmingly deafening!

I can tolerate a little bit of noise- tv on low volume, one person talking to me, being in the car, for example. I cannot tolerate people chatting around me, buses, cars. Music, radio.

When I went to the hairdressers today with my son for his back to school haircut (scalping he says) the radio was on in the salon. The boss wouldn't turn it down so I had to stand outside until he was done. Finding that environments I never even considered to be noisy are now absolutely intolerable

I have started using wax earplugs as a measure to reduce some noise but they aren't always great.

Starting to feel quite fed up that I won't be able to tolerate simple environments- going to a cafe for a coffee is out of the question- has anyone had this and what did you do to solve or manage it apart from, like me, staying in!
Issy x

• Like 1

Hey there

Know exactly what you mean - I use sponge earplugs instead of wax, less chance of wax breaking off in your ear and they mold perfectly to the shape of your ear.

Everything was very noisy for me in the early days, it did eventually calm down but my hearing is still more sensitive than it was before x

Thanks Skippy and super. The neurosurgeon has said it can take up to a year. I have just found over the last three months that that is the one thing that hasn't improved. My hubby and kids understand but rest if the family and friends just don't get it. Very frustrating!

Super Mario you must be very strong willed to be able to switch off but at the minute I can't do that. Hopefully as time goes on things may change.

Issy x

Good luck Issy hope you get help as I have the same as you, I get buzzing and I  say this all the Time !!

"What did he say"  and hubby goes you deaf or what" then my reply is blue lol  xx

I cannot watch East Enders or programmes with arguments in them and I love peace.

Keep Well and Good Luck

WinB143 xx

• Like 1

Hi Issy

I have problems with noise though it has got better. When I first came home from hospital I had to have the tv very low especially when there was a lot of applause or such like. I still have problems with screaming children or babies crying - I have to remove my self. Unfortunately I have builders next door when at home and builders next door when at work! At home I can go out but at work I have to deal with it and can't wear earplugs as I need to listen.

Hopefully things will improve for you and you will find coping mechanisms in the meantime.

Clare

Hi Win,
Yes I get abit of buzzing/ringing going on too. I just can't seem together over this wee hurdle just now so today has been a bit if a blubbery day feeling sorry for my self!!!! Be fine tomorrow - but no singing - only in my head as it's too noisy otherwise!!!

Thank you Claire, been sunny here today so all my neighbours have been out with lawn mowers etc at various times if the day - driving me nuts, my earplugs have been in constantly!!!! I must be the only person wishing for rain - and peace!!

I also worry about when I do go back to work as I am a Midwife and we can be in some seriously noisy environments! Cross that bridge when I get to it........
Nite all
Issy x

Hope it is all peaceful today/Friday  Issy,   and all is well with you today.( noise wise)

I meant to say you remind me of my neighbour (who when I was in hospital was a diamond) she is from Clackmannen)

She looked after my dogs while Hubby was up hospital worrying about me. 

She is a lovely woman and we always laugh a lot when we get together.  She says a wee while ago and other words like you use. xx

Now take care of yourself and don't forget earplugs !! xx

Keep well

WinB143 xx xx

I had this as well.  I still have it to some extent, but it isn't really affecting my life anymore.  I used to wake at night and the noise from the clock plug in the wall would seem so loud that I couldn't get back to sleep.  60cycles/second really annoyed me and that's what all electronics run on around here.  

I used to work in a lab with a lot of electronics and I noticed the hum, but it never bothered me.  I still like the TV low and I can't stand loud music of any sort.  However, it faded fairly fast and as I said, I'm more sensitive to it, but I can handle it better now.

Also, the many voices talking can also be a concentration thing which can also be greatly affected after SAH.  That also gets better with time.  I can go to big gatherings now, but at first it was too overwhelming on all fronts.  I stayed home a lot at first because of this factor at first.  Now I can go out and about.  

Just the other day, I sat in a restaurant and ate pizza with loud blasting hard rock music.  It was exhausting for me, but I could do it.  I wouldn't do it if I had known, but it didn't wreck my day like it would have in the early days of recovery. I would have had to go home in a dark quiet room for a bit to recover.

~Kris

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Wow Issy that is like reading a personal description of my head. I think most of us have suffered with noise sensitivity. It does improve with time as I am two years this December and although it still plays a big part in my life it doesn't control it like before.

My tip is put your fingers in your ears if you can't remove yourself from the noisy environment although it looks decidedly funny it really works.

If my children are being too noisy I shout but obviously in public that's not really an option unless you want a taxi home in a police car so in go my fingers for a couple of minutes. I find this acts like a mini reset which allows me to clear my mind and survive until I can hopefully remove myself to a more head friendly area.

I agree that people do sometimes stare but if it works then I can cope with that.

Wishing you luck with your peace and serenity

Anita

Hi Issy,

I had my NASAH in January and I have also had increased noise sensitivity too - when I first came out of hospital I could not have the TV on or any extra noise. I also avoided going to town or the supermarket. Lucky for me I live in the middle of no-where so it is very peaceful!

When I started seeing my occupational therapist we discussed this and she told me I had to stop avoiding the situations I didn't like. This was just the advice I was given and may not be for everyone. We sat down and looked at what I actually found difficult - for example with the TV it was actually the combination of noise and the visual stimulation,

My OT had me start to go out to the places I found difficult for short periods of time to build them up. This has involved things like going to the supermarket, going to a restaurant and going on a bus. It has been tough but over the past few months I have managed to tolerate it more.

I worked as a secondary school teacher prior to this so it was important that I tried to get more used to the noise in order to be able to return to work. Trying to do some small bits for a limited time has worked quite well for me. I always make sure I have an 'out' too - for example my husband brings the car and I can go sit in it if needed. I still find some things very difficult but overall it has improved.

Good luck!

Gemma

• Like 1

Crikey Mum of Five I know what you mean. I had a NASAH on June 2. Since then, many sounds seem amplified and have become unbearable, the worst being the sound of cutlery hitting plates :-( - music is a killer, I find it at best irritating and at worst painful.

Occasionally I too have to shout at my six year old to restore order; it feels like the worst thing to do, no reset in my case, just a bringer of headaches. But then I have only one to think about, I am full of respect for you, managing with five. 

Take care,

Sammy Anne

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all your lovely and helpful replies!
A wee update on the noise front. I can tolerate a bit more now but I still have to stick my earplugs in- and even my fingers as well sometimes. I do get the odd strange look but it doesn't bother me.

My hubby is very good, my kids are older so handle it all ok and worry about me constantly when I am out about whether it is too noisy. Just why do supermarkets etc have to have music playing so loud? Beyond me !!!

Hubby came gone with some ear defenders- big massive blue and yellow headphone things. Nice idea but I am not up to wandering around Tesco looking like a raging wee minion!! Haha

I am trying to listen to music a little bit, wee bursts of 20 minutes ( all I can put up with) a couple of times a day. Watching tv is getting a bit better but not great!

Progressing well otherwise. I hope all of you are well and just want you to know it is just great that you all have such good advice and support. Very grateful.
Issy x

• Like 2

Hello there!

Thanks for your advice Louise, it is getting better. The wee bursts are helping.

I don't where you are but I am in Dundee. Anyway, suns out, dog needs walked, earplugs in and I am ready!!

Thanks again,

Issy x

• Like 1

Hi Issy

I had my SAH 11th Dec 2009 and have suffered with noise sensitivity since then but to a much lesser degree now. It has got better over the years and I find I am able to tolerate a lot more now.

If I am really tired it is worse but I try not to get to that point. I also find it can be worse around time of the month also, when I tend to be more tired anyway.

Hopefully you will find in time that your sensitivity eases.

Good luck

Kel x

• Like 1