CT Scans

Hi.  I'm just curious if anyone has had additional CT Scans or MRI's after your NASAH.  I had one 6 weeks after but I'm feeling worse now 5 months after and I'm wondering if the Neurologist will want another one.  I've heard too many CT Scans aren't good because of the radiation but I'm not sure.  Of course I have to ask my Dr.  but wondering if it's standard. 

Thank you!

Katy

Sorry Katy, I can't help you with this one .... you need to ask your Doctor the question.

One size doesn't fit all post SAH and everyone's case history is different.

I would imagine that the medics wouldn't scan you, unless there's a potential problem or they're following up with a scan post SAH and checking up to see all's well, but that's something that you need to ask your own Doctor to clarify.

xx

Hi,. I had three angiograms and two CTs after my NASAH.  I also have one MRI per year and I'm 3-1/2 years out.  There is always  risk with scans but I'm willing to take it for peace of mind.  I remember at six months thinking I thought I'd be better by now.  At six months I went back to my surgeon and asked a lot of questions and the best response was it would take a year or more to feel better and not the better prior to the bleed but the better now.

What I'm trying to say is you cannot compare yourself to before, it's impossible.  It will take more time than you think or they tell you.  It's a very slow healing process. 

• Like 1

And mine is totally different to Iola's - I had one CT scan after 3 weeks (but this was down to a suspected re-bleed, but was actually pain brought on my cocodamol) and two follow up MRIs. I was discharged after 18mths and have not had a scan since - I'm 10 years post SAH but mine was caused by an aneurysm.

Definitely ask your GP.

Katy, I wouldn't worry about radiation, the dosage would be as small as they can make it.

I worked as a radiographer for a few years so you can imagine the dosage I have received in the past. I have had numerous x-rays and scans since and nothing untoward has happened to me.

In fact it has been said that one receives radiation doses daily by just being on this earth. 

• Like 2

Hi Katy,

I agree it is a good idea to check with your doctor. Since my event 19 months ago I have had 4 MRIs and an angiogram. I have another MRI scheduled for around 5 months time. This is because I have a spinal issue as a result of the haemorrhage which is monitored with MRIs. On top of this I have had two CT scans for my heart condition - so in that time period have had something done 7 times.

I have been told that the radiation exposure is minimal and that they keep an eye on it. They only do the procedures if the benefits outweigh the potential cost. As people have said on here, it is worth checking with your medical team.

Gemma

Hi Katy,

I am also having extra MRI scans,  I am waiting for my 4th in a year after having my initial one a week after my perimesencephalic haemorrhage.  

Just pleased they are keeping an eye on what ever they are watching.  I have asked him questions and he answers me, he says as far as he is concerned it is ok, nothing there that he is worried about, but the radiologist likes to make sure no changes are shown over a period of time, and that is proving true.  So good to know that they are working together.

I hope you are reassured from your medical team.

Regards

Irene

Hi Katy.
I had numerous CT scans after my coiling while still in hospital, over a period of 3 weeks and also an MRI scan. I have had one CT scan since leaving hospital.  I have my 6 month MRA scan in January.

I also feel worse now than I did a week or 2 after leaving hospital. Probably because my day to day life is quite busy and stressful, despite all efforts to make it less so. I think we tell ourselves to 'just get on with it' but we end up doing too much too soon and suffering as a result. Take care.
Deb. x

Katy,

I had a CT scan after having an MRI, but in those days I came on here and said "Oh I have to have a CRI scan"  but meant CT lol

It done me no harm,  as at that time  my temples were looking  swollen so the gave me a CT scan.  Still not gone down but they said it was

nothing to worry about !! ahhhh lol

You will be okay as Deb says.

Love

Win xxxxxx

• Like 1