My mother has suffered a SAH May 2008

Guest ElaineW

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

elaine

just read your posts you mum has made a smahing recovery and the earlier she gets mobile the better she will cope more power to her elbow and it shows that she has what it takes it nice to hear people recovering so quickly her memory will return eventully and you will have to fill in the blanks for her but the main thing is to take one day at a time and enjoy mum tottering around and be happy lots of hugs and cuddles for you both and good luck

Guest ElaineW

Hi Karen

Yes, photo at long last. Mum is doing little better but still struggling to eat and getting down days with purely the frustration at what she is not capable of and coping with the memory side of things I think she has accepted that this may be as good as it gets but like you all she does not like taking backward steps. We are back to the hospital in a few weeks. I have told her so much about this site and she is remembering a few stories and asking about their progress which is nice.

Elaine

I have to add that your replies are often instantaneous - real dedication. You have given so much to so many people. Thank you

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ElaineW

Just a bit of an update - not much change over the last month or so. Has still been vomiting intermittently Mum has an appointment with the Gastro on Tues and following normal results it looks like she will get passed back to the Neuros for the nausea etc. They can fight it out betwween them I don't think anyone wants to take ownership for the problem. As soon as she stops the anti sickness tablets it seems to come back with a vengeance. Mum a bit slurry today and forgetting what she wanted to say mid sentence which she hates and has shaky hands but she is back to her knitting cat blankets. I am sure the weight is still falling off her so looks like a Dietician may be involved which she will not be happy about. Anyway I still tell her about all your stories and she sends her love.

Elaine xx

Hi Elaine,

Your mum is doing well even though there are still problems. I'm in the same boat, the neuro guys are blaming the docs for my headaches and the docs are blaming the neuro guys, its so frustrating!

I've just bought my cat a blanket, wish i'd known, your mum could start up a new business! Miffy will sleep on whatever blanket she finds, Maggie could make a fortune from me!

Love and hugs

Laura

xx

Guest ElaineW

Evening all. Mum saw the Gastro's today and they have discharged her. She is now to see the Neuros again and of all places Rheumatology for her dry mouth and taste problems. Apparently after head trauma it can cause an inbalance with the auto immune system (and if you have arthritis) whoch she does it can give you dry eyes and dry mouth so we will have to wait and see - seems a funny path to go down. The dryness of her mouth is making her speech extremely slurry so much in fact I thought she was sucking a sweet today and her memory is shot. Anyway that's all for now folks. Have a good sleep zzzzzzzzzzzz

Elaine x

Guest ElaineW

Maggie has had a very emotional week - her hands have been letting her down as well as her legs and she got upset becuase she couldn't spell "yellow". She is getting very frustrated with herself and asking me not to put her in a home if she cannot cope with living on her own. I found it so hard to hold back the tears but she was sobbing so hard it was diffucult not to. Her memory is pretty bad too - she puts something away and then 2 mins later can't remember where she put it. We have a neuro follow up in a few weeks. I know I have lost part of my mum and I try to tell her that I am just glad she is still with me but she does not see it that way at times. This is just so damn hard, I am just glad she is still around me but she is missing the person she was and feels useless. I have tried to teell her she has come out of this really lucky but I just can't make her see it. Anyway thats all for now, I hoipe she feels happier tomorrow - if she feels happy so do I.

Elaine xxx

• 3 months later...
Guest ElaineW

Hi all - just thought I would give a bit of an update on Maggie. She is still my little miracle and gets just like you all good days and bad After six months post SAH the vomiting stopped and she has put on half a stone out of the two she lost (back on the chocolates - but whatever just enjoy them I tell her). I am still backwards and forwards to Frenchay Hosp with one thing or another - she has just be diagnosed with Sjorgen's syndrome (following the swallowing difficulties etc but it is not related to the SAH - it is an auto immune disorder and something they cant do a lot for except monitor her - it does cause chronic fatigue though so with that and the SAH she is always tired. She did her first bit of baking this week since the SAH - she does struggle in the kitchen dept. I am so proud of her and she makes me laugh so much. She asks (when she remembers) often about you guys on this site, particularly remembering Lin, Paul as I am always giving her updates. Anyway I think thats just about it. Enjoy life folks.

Elaine xx

hi elaine

nice to see mum doing so well even after all the trials and trivilations she has gone through and i wish her well tell mum we both send our love and best wish's and a happy time and when she makes some pancakes give us a shout lol take care and lots of hugs and cuddles to you both

• 2 months later...
Guest ElaineW

Just to let you know haven't a clue how but mum has just tested positive for MRSA. It was picked up on a routine test as she is waiting for injections under the Pain Clinic. I am feeling a bit alarmed - amazing - she hardly goes out . Does anyone know much about MRSA or has anyone else picked this up so long after discharge from hospital; wondereing if this is unusual. Don't even know if I will need to be tested? Hoping its nothing to worry about.

Elaine

Hello Elaine

I had MRSA in hospital I asked alot of questions about it and they said that MRSA is built up by the papers to be something its not there are different types.....

I had a cream in my nose about ? 2/3 times a day x x and since nothing else has been done x x x my blood tests have been fine x x

Ask any questions you need answering from your doctor x x none of my family was checked for it and they was with me everyday x x

sorry its not loads of help

love donna x

elaine

most people carry mrsa on their skin along with many other bacteria and it dosnt always become a problem untill you go into hospital when they should test the patient prior to admission it is a natural occurring occurance it just i belive the hospitals advise patients with mrsa to take medication and will not readmit untill they are clear hopes this helps

• 2 months later...
Guest ElaineW

Hello all

I wonder if any of you would be able to PM me with your home numbers. Mum is on a bit of a downward slide at the moment and I think it would be helpful if she spoke with someone who has gone through the same as her. Mum has a bit of insight into this site and I have suggested that I would try and get someone to just perhaps talk to her (though I am yet still to convince her). She is very tearful as no doubt each and every one of you get on many days and just feels generally unable to cope (geting herself meals is a real problem although I do my best). She is reluctant to speak to someone she doesn't know as she often forgets what she wants to say and willl feel embarrassed. So if any of you guys have an ear to spare and are happy to spare 5 mins for I hope she picks up the phone and rings you.

Love to all

Elaine xx

Elaine has your area got a coalition for inclusive living or something in that vein, usually under your county council? These organisations often have mentors. I mentor for our local one and would be willing to give you my phone number but as I am away until the 21st I think it wouldn't help as your mum needs support now.

Alternatively you could try your GP for some councilling.

If after that date you would still like my number just pm me.