ICE - In Case of Emergency

Hi all

I think this information would help many, read enjoy & pass to others

I'll return with other Advise & Tips Soon

Keith Henman

Stroke Survivor

ICE – DO IT!

ICE (In Case of Emergency) is a simple idea to help save lives using your mobile telephone.

It was first proposed over a year ago by a “British Paramedic,” after a survey revealed that 75% of people didn’t carry any emergency contact information, but 85% carried a mobile telephone.

“Bob Brotchie,” a clinical team leader for the “East Anglian NHS Trust” hatched the plan after struggling to get contact details from a shocked injured patient.

Bob, who has been a paramedic for 13 years, said. “I was reflecting on some of the calls I’ve attended at the roadside where I had to look through mobile phone contacts struggling for information on a shocked or injured person.”

“It’s difficult to know who to call. Someone might have ‘MUM’ in their phone book, but that doesn’t mean they’d want them to be contacted in an emergency.”

“Almost everyone carries a mobile phone now, and with “ICE” we’d know immediately who to contact and what number to ring. The person may even know of their medical history.”

The idea has gathered momentum in the UK after the London bombings, and has also spread to Europe and the United States.

All you have to do is add an entry to the phone book of your mobile using the acronym “ICE” followed by the name of your emergency contact and their telephone number.

If you want to add several “ICE” contacts, either use their names after the “ICE” acronym, or simply add them to your phone book as “ICE1, ICE2, ICE3 etc”

Should your preferred “ICE” contact be deaf, prefix the number with “ICETEXT” instead of “ICE”

Once you’ve saved the details in your phone, don’t forget to tell your “ICE” contact that you’ve nominated them!

Bob hopes that all emergency services will promote “ICE” in their area as a part of a national awareness campaign to highlight the importance of carrying next of kin details at all times.

He said the idea was for the benefit of loved ones as well as the patient “Research suggests people recover quicker from the psychological effects of their loved ones being hurt if they are involved at an earlier stage and they can reach them quickly.”

One problem and a way around it.

If you have another contact in your phone with the same number, say "ICE Ronnie" and "Ronnie Work", if they phone you, you will not see the caller ID only the number as the phone does not know which one to display as they have the same number. The way around that is to put a * after the phone number of the ICE contact.

http://www.icecontact.com/products.asp?productID=8

Regards

Keith

• 5 months later...
Guest Vivienne

Great idea! I've never heard of it before.

I've used it in my mobile... just hope everyone knows what it means should the need to use it ever come about...

Vivienne

have been useing ice for a long time we started using it in london many years ago and it works most if all medical and police know what to look for and i beleive the fire birgade also are aware of ice it is a very vauleable asset and does help medical staff 1 recommedation is make ice the person who knows your medical details and history and is aware that you have put them down as your ice contact there are many people who are not aware they have been made aware of ice and phones have been left at home or turned off therefore making it usless so please make sure you inform the contact they are the first to be called due to ice. Nice to see its taking off worldwide and its been spread by word of mouth

Guest Vivienne

I was speaking to a policeman I know, the other day, and mentioned about ICE. He had never heard of it, though thought it was a good idea too. I dont know any paramedics to speak to. So I don't think that ICE has reached up here yet.

Wonder if there is a way to promote it...?

Vivienne