Exercise

Guest yasmin

Hi there

I finally plucked up the courage to join the gym again did'nt go back to the one where I had my SAH but joined a much smaller one, felt really proud of myself :D

The guy gave me a health check said my blood pressure was a bit on the low side but did'nt seem to think it was a problem, I've booked myself into a few classes starting from Monday but I'm starting to get cold feet now. Has anyone else felt this way? I was told by my Dr its okay to exercise but I'm now worried that the gym may be too much what do you think?

Yasmin

x

Hi girls

Good luck with the gym. I really want to join again (well, not really but know I have to!). I asked the Doctor if I could but he said I had to ask my NeuroSurgeon. I have an appointment with NS on Tuesday so will ask him - I am expecting him to say it's fine in which case it'll be back to the treadmill! I'm really not a gym person but really do need to do something as I've piled the weight on post-SAH.

Will hopefully be able to compare gym stories soon!

Sarah :wink:

Hi Yasmin

I did start going to a gym at about the 6 month stage and went regularly up until the beginning of this year. It was only the last increase in hours that stopped me going as I was too tired.

I have now reduced my hours at work and will also be going back to the gym next week. Just remember to take it easy at first and enjoy it.

Janet x

Thanks everyone for your advise and support I'm off in a mo I've book myself into a Body Balance class I'm told its a bit of Yoga(which I like) a bit of T'ai chi and Pilates so should'nt wear me out too much :lol:

have a good day

Yasmin

xxxxx

That's fantastic.

I am trying to gather the courage to go to the gym ... nothing fits and I am tired and out of breath half the time now. And I know it is due to the two stone I have put on since my SAH.

Please let us know how you get on with your classes - you may just be the inspiration that gets my bum off the sofa!

Best wishes,

Leo

Well I did it :D

Was very nervous when I got there and had to keep rushing to the ladies!

But I really really enjoyed it I could'nt do all the moves as I'm very stiff but that will improve, and I did get very dizzy when I did a few of the yoga moves oh and my balance which used to be perfect was laughable, but do you know what I don't care all I know is it made me feel as though normal is getting closer and I'm happy for that.

Leo do it I have also put on over a stone in weight and used to be really fit so if I can do it so can you :D

Going to catch up with work now speak soon

Yasmin

ps I have a few free guest passes so if you would like to come with me one day Leo/Tina (you two live the closest)you are welcome

yasmin

xxxxxx

Thanks everyone, Laura talking about balance I just feel over :lol: hurt my ****** arm what a twit!!

The big one is tues I have taken the risk of booking myself into a 30 min spin class bit scared but I have to overcome the fear.

yasmin

x

Guest Debbie1969

Hi Yasmin

I like you, was really nervous about going back to the gym post my SAH. But I was piling on the weight and I couldn't face going back to Weightwatchers and having the dreaded Weekly Weigh in with Marjorie Dawes!!! I would rather go down the Gym! Plus I wanted to exercise. I spoke to my neurosurgeon about my fears and he understood my concerns, but he felt there was no real danger and it was important for me to get exercise. So I put my trust in him and dragged my sorry butt off the sofa and I now go to the gym about 4 times a week. Don't get me wrong I'm no Gym bunny, I go on the bike for a warm up then 'walk fast' for about 25 minutes and thats about it! I know my limitations! However I totally understand your fears. If I have a headache or if I don't feel too great then I don't go, and I don't beat myself up about it either! The fact you are starting to think about going back indicates you are almost there! I couldn't even entertain the idea for ages post SAH!

I was about 6 months post SAH when I started going back to the gym, and I really do hope you get back there soon. Talk to your doc and your gym and take it easy until you know what you can do!

Good luck and take care

Debbie

Thank you Debbie I really appreciate your comments, today when I went I did'nt feel very good a bit faint and very hot, not sure why, worried me a little but as you say the Docs seems to think its okay so I'm not giving in its probably a bit of a panic attack which I can deal with

Like you I dreaded the weekly weigh in at the fat club!! I did loose weight though and they made me a gold member oow

If I went on the scales now they'd chuck me out as I'm nearly a stone over my goal

Oh well worse things have happened :D

Shame you don't live nearer we could go together its sooo boring

Yasmin

xxxx

Guest Debbie1969

Hi Yasmin, I know exactly how you feel, it is really really scary, and its a total fear of the unknown. Plus you have the added complications of having your SAH actually at the gym, so no wonder you are scared! I had my SAH whilst taking out the washing on Christmas Eve last year, and it might sound completely irrational but I couldn't take the washing out for at least 2 months after that, and used to stand in the kitchen giving the washing machine the evil eye, until I realised it wasn't actually the washing machines fault!

I like you was too scared to return to fat club because I had put on over a stone and would have owed them a fortune!

The gym is very boring to. Luckily my partner comes along with me, but I did go on my own on Saturday for the first time, and I didn't even feel remotely scared anymore. I think a lot of it is mind over matter, but for the first few months on the treadmill I was convinced something awful might happen. The mind is a dangerous thing!

I have now come to the conclusion that if anything bad is going to happen, then it will, and I am powerless to do anything about it as I was when I had my SAH. But I can't put my life on hold 'just in case'. Not an easy thing to come to terms with though for anyone! I just wanted to feel 'normal' again and get back to normal everyday life. My SAH affected so many things in my life in such a short space of time that I just wanted to be me again. And so far I feel like me again and am gaining confidence as every day goes by, despite a few curveballs thrown at me along the way. I lost my job 5 months after it happened. Unfortunately my employer wasnt quite so caring as other peoples seem to have been and I ended up in a legal battle which completely shattered my confidence, despite winning that battle. However I have had to put it behind me and now I even have days where I completely forget I had an SAH which is quite a milestone for me. I hope you can feel the same to.

Keep in touch and good luck down the gym! Don't work too hard though!

Take care

Deb

Yasmin :D As i said on the phone well done you, hun :D:D Hope you are ok...and your arm feeling better.......one day soon i will come with you....but will have to be when i can drive....not fair :( Still positive thoughts...wont be long....

Take care

Love Tinaxxx

Hi Deb :D

I agree the mind can be a dangerous thing.......but you have done amazingly......it is good to hear that your confidence is growing again and that you can put your sah behind you and even completely forget it some days.......i hope to be there very soon, thanks for sharing your thoughts they have helped a lot.

Take care

Love Tinaxx

Guest Debbie1969

Hi Tina/Yasmin! Yep its definitely good to be finding myself again after all the horror of the SAH! I have to admit I am MUCH more emotional than I ever used to be. I find myself welling up over the most ridiculous things - especially when I watch X Factor which I never did before!!! The moment that Westlife track comes on I am a goner! And I noticed my balance is a bit 'off'. I get dizzy if I have had a particularly long hard day, and even get dizzy turning over in bed sometimes which is a tad odd, and am sure my boyfriend thinks I am completely barking. But after reading lots of posts on this site it seems it is more common than I thought! PHEW!!!!

However haven't been dizzy at the gym yet so thats a plus! And will keep on trucking! Thanks for your reply, its good to talk to likeminded people and share our experiences! Take care of yourself.

Deb

Hi Debbie

I have improved on the emotional side but yes do cry very easily now days :(

Regarding dizzy I get it when I walk more and when I first get out of bed i'm all over the shop :lol: when I put my foot down its very odd sometimes can't really explain, we all learn to live with it and it doe's get better I promise.

I went to the gym today and was fine think my blood pressure must have been low on weds?

I did a really fast spin class the teacher was fab the music was full blast and I had a big smile on my face even though I was in pain!!

Take care

ps I don't logg on that often now as I am back at work but if you want to chat anytime there are always people in the green room(okay for those ladies of leisure!)

Yasmin

x

gosh I take my hat off to you Yasmin a spin class with blaring music WOW! well done.....

by the way I'd love not to be leisure but able to work sadly not to be still always stunns me how quickly the days go in........

take care and careful spinning :roll: :?

Louise.xx