Shunt Question on behalf of Pat 11-4-16

I have a question after they put in my shunt its been almost 2 years this November is it normal to strange sensations where you shunt is and also the feeling like there is something wrong with your ear is there any one who feels these or really tired all the Time

I have shunt in and it took me a while to get used to it, but it woke me up !  Click and a light came on.

Mine was put in 2010 get buzzing noise but do not know if that's down to shunt or not. Liken it to listening to sea through a sea shell.

On stormy days I get a heavy head but it woke me up after nearly a year with Hydrocephalus so I am so pleased to be back in the land of the living.

I get tired but put it down to SAH.  Stress also makes me feel worse  and others sharing their problems with me like my Sister  lol shhh

Good luck   

My shunt went in Oct 17. I hate it. Sounds like the sea in a seashell. I’m dizzy my headaches from when I sit up and so tired and my walking is wobbly but that could be the SAH. I have a big hollow down my neck behind my right ear and I can feel the tubing. ! Scary 

I thought I'd never get used to mine but I can hardly feel the tubes now and I pat my shunt for without it I'd still be in cuckoo land.

It is good to be back in the land of the living as before the shunt I was lost in my own little world.  I never made sense but I don't now,  so nothings changed ha ha.  Cheer up all who have a shunt we are survivors xxxx A smile please xxxx

My daughter in law had a shunt and I remember the doctor telling her once that a while after it is inserted the body can adhere to it  - as if it is healing around it - so that it sticks and gives a pulling sensation.  As usual if there is a problem the advice is to go and see the doctor or the team that put it in.

Pat,  have a shunt as well and I found I had almost no sensation around it to the touch of the skin for a good while after it was placed. Once the initial scar healed it was totally numb but then as it started to regain some sensation in that area of my scalp I found it was tender and also had some vey strange sensations, like a creeping feeling sometimes and it also felt tight. 

That combined with being able to hear the mechanics of it , being barometrically sensitive and the tube sometimes aching means I don’t ever totally forget I have it ( I had mine placed 6 yrs ago) but equally I’m very grateful I have it. 

If you have pain, or sensations that are changes to previous or increasing for you and you are worried you should always get checked out. Any hospital will take it very seriously indeed as a shunt malfunction is not to be ignored but I’m sure this is not that. 

Main things is to educate yourself what a shunt malfunction would show up like; in extreme cases it is increasing dizziness, imbalance, eyesight deteriorating , vomiting. Other things to keep check of is make sure is no swelling around any of the pipe or shunt site and no redness or discolouration. 

Archived