Irrational Fear

Guest Shiree

Hi all...

Some days I feel ok, but every now and then I get this overwhelming fear that it is going to happen again. Every headache or twinge make my blood run cold, and I have this strong feeling that I have not long for this earth. I know this sounds really extreme and probably a bit silly. Will a SAH shorten our lives?

We are going to build a new house and I am reluctant to voice my opinion on it in case I am not here.

Sorry to be so negative, but does anyone else feel like this? What are the chances of it happening again?

hugs

shiree

Hi Shiree

Yes, we've all had those fears and they do pass with time. From what I understand, once we have been fixed, we are no more likely to have another SAH than the general population. Maybe just a slightly increased risk.

The future is out of our hands. Live for the present and enjoy life.

Regards

Keith

Hi Shiree :D:D

I think we all worry about it happening again....it is quite normal to have these worries xx My Consultant however said there was more chance of him or my hubby getting one! Make of it what you will.....but i try not to dwell on it....and just think ...well i could get run over tomorrow.... who knows! So trying to grab my life back and live each day to the full. Shiree you have done so well in such a short time.....you will have good and bad days...i have them too.......but look at how far you have come .....you should be very proud of yourself :D:D Keep smiling take care Love Tina xx

Hi Shiree,

I was like that for the first two years and couldn't see beyond the current day itself. I couldn't plan hardly anything, as couldn't see the point as I might not be here. All the small stuff just didn't matter to me any more either, used to get pretty cross with people or irritated by it.

Glad to say though, that this has passed and I've been around long enough since the SAH to realise that I spent a load of time worrying about everything ..... however, it takes time to feel at ease with what's happened and I think that others will tell you the same.

Nobody can give us guarantees as to what will happen..... we could be struck down with something that isn't related to SAH or run down by a car tomorrow .... it's just that we've had a taster of the life/death experience and we now have the burden of having the knowledge that life hangs by a very fine thread and know how quickly that thread can be broken.

I don't think that your fear is irrational, I would say that it's pretty normal to feel like we do after such a trauma. The small/silly things are finally starting to matter to me again, that's how I know that I'm recovering ..... I'm a lot more motivated now and I can see more of a future for me.

Shiree, it's going to get better for you too, so go and plan your house ..... but give yourself some more time, it really does seem to take a good couple of years to do deal with these issues.

Good luck with everything xx

Hi Shiree

I feel like this too, had SAH in June, think should I do this just in case! should I tell my daughters how much they mean to me, should I write it down somewhere for them to find? get emotional when thinking about it! When I go to the gym I worry because my blood pressure might go up! we were renovating our house but this has gone on hold until after Christmas, then another minute think what the point? might not be here! the responses here help me also - so thanks for posting!

Caroline

Hi there

I used to have these fears and thoughts too - but like Tina, my consultant told me that he and my husband had more chance of having and SAH than I had of having another one.

Caroline, tell you daughters how much you love them anyway - if there's one thing that I've learnt it's to show how I feel and say what I mean. Live for the moment anyway - not because you have to but because you can. Making plans actually helped me recover because it gave me something to focus on and to look forward too.

Sending you positive hugs :D

Love Sami xxx

HI SHIREE

YES I STILL GET TO FEELING THAT WAY TODAY IS ONE OF THOSE FOR ME, AS I WOKE WITH A HEADACHE AND FEELING UNDER THE WEATHER. BUT I KNOW I GET THIS WAY EVERY SO OFTEN JUST TRY TO REMEMBER I HAVE HAD DAYS LIKE THIS BEFOR AND I AM STILL HERE.

SO PUT YOURSELF INTO LIVING AND ENJOY.

LOVE EVELYN :mrgreen:

Hi Shiree I was just like you once so afraid it would happen again now I live each day like it was my last I say what I feel if someone doesn't like it then tough, dunno if thats a good thing or not :lol:

At the end of the day you can sit there worrying and if you were to get run over or something else you could have regrets about the things you never did how you have lived since the SAH or you can think well at least I did everything I wanted to do I know which mine will be now, I have been on a plane since boat and all the rides that go upside down and things, things which I said I would never do. Sometimes if I get an extremely bad headache I may sometimes still think oh no however when I had that headache the SAH one I could hardly move at all yet none of my headaches since have been that bad, it is very unlikely to happen again so I would really try not to worry, you were given a second chance Shiree grab it with both hands and enjoy life. Jess.xxx

Going now it is turning into an essay :lol:

Hi Shiree

I still get those fears too especially when i get pressure headaches but when i see the members on BTG i feel that things will get better, i see Karen and Sami going back to work and i feel there is that hope that i can do that soon.

I now do look at life differently and i try to enjoy it more, i find i am doing things that i might not of done before the SAH.

I am looking after myself more, especially my BP.

I am taking up everyone has said so far on board and i am sure we will be fine.

Myra xx

Hi Shiree/Caroline

I think it is natural to worry and I still do worry at times even now especially when my head pain is really bad. I find it worse when my head is bad at night and I'm on my own when it takes me a bit longer to rationalise it and put it back into context.

Janet x

I agree with what most have said and like Tina my consultant(we have the same one!!) said he or my hubby had more chance of getting a SAH than me :roll:

Like you in the early days I did'nt want to plan anything and even got to such a low point that I wrote goodbye letters to my hubby and kids(I've since thrown them away)

Now I do look forward to the future and I do plan I am really looking forward to christmas this this never thought that feeling would come back

none of us know when god will take us so do something each day that you enjoy and live for the moment

A lovely lady I know had her SAH (two of them) over 20 years ago and she is now 71 still here can't be bad!!!

Take care

Yasmin

xx

Hi guys

Thanks for all your replies. It does make me feel better...

I know deep down that the chances of it happening again are slim, but I guess the shock that I could have died blows things out of proportion. I never used to be a drama queen!!

One thing I have noticed is that I get heaps of muscle tic's. Does anybody else?

hugs

shiree

Hi Janet

I had a left eye tic for about two weeks before my SAH ( which was on my left hand side) I had never had this happen before, so I think the muscle tics are a fear trigger for me....sorry there I go being a drama queen again..... :D

hugs

shiree