Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello!

By registering with us, you'll be able to view our forums in full as well as discuss, share and private message other members of Behind The Gray. Why not join us now?
Sign in to follow this  
charming

limitations after your SAH

Hello all, 

I know a lot of you have had your SAH years ago and I was wondering if I could get a little knowledge from your experiences.  I had my SAH in April 2019.  I've been doing really well - went back to work about a month after I was released from my 3 week hospital visit.  I struggled with that in the beginning - being tired all of the time and having headaches.  I was also horribly depressed after.  The tiredness went first, then the depression.  Now I'm only having headaches every so often, and they are in no way as bad as they were.

So, here comes the question.  What are some limitations you've experienced after your SAH?  I'm flying out this week to California - and I had to ask my neurologist if I could.  He gave me permission.  I also asked about roller coasters, and he gave me a firm no on that one.  This has me wondering - what are other things that we shouldn't do, or should avoid other than roller coasters?   Are there things you've done but struggled with that you believe someone that has had a stroke shouldn't do?  

• Like 2

Charming, I expect you will get as many answers as there are folks that respond to your question. As for me the only firm no I got was NSAIDS. For an old beat up retired lineman that was hard to deal with. I have discovered things that I do better avoiding such as big crowds, loud environments, anything that may overburden my ability process. As debilities go, I can deal with it. I stay active fishing, puttering in my shop, grandkids. I am blessed. I hope you have a good trip and let us know how it went. 

• Like 1

Hi Charming,

I was given hardly any chance but that was from OT's.  Wanted to put me in a home as I'd never be the same.  They never checked that my Brain and Hydrocephalus.  A year later approx a shunt fitted and now watch out world I'm back lol .

Cannot walk very far as back aches but after being told I will never walk again 1000 yards suits me on a good day but on a bad day I take to chair !!

Avoid stress and sing and carry a spare smile, Do never ever listen to others sob stories as they bring you down so keep happy and go enjoy holiday.

Always drink water and remember we are survivors  maybe  forgetful ones but we made it so be happy and enjoy yourself. 

We all get down days but they get few and far between as time goes on xxx 

Happy holiday xxxx  Had my big 70 party and I got up and sang  lol poor family  ha xxx

Hi Charming,

After my SAH followed by Vasospasm I was told "go live your life...Now I realize that being 64 probably already was putting limitations on it but like you I was left wondering.  

After my stroke I had a trip booked and paid for 4 months out to South America, the Neuro said have a good trip...I went and I did...very cautiously such as I wanted to walk up the side of a mountain path in SA but I rode up instead worrying that it would be too much...

I love to snorkel, and I do but am a bit worrisome doing it (I guess I don't enjoy it as freely as I did before) but i do it perhaps cutting my time..

No doctor gave me limitations...I think I had hoped for guide lines, didn't get that either...

Two and a half years out I still am making choices as to what I feel ok doing.. I would not do anything that risks injury to my head...haha pretty obvious I guess...everything else I do as I tolerated...sometimes struggling with something and then attempting it again perhaps after more rest.  Depends on how important something is also...

Very individual choices all depending on what limitations we feel we have...

Time plays in here also...I have regained confidence as time has gone on...

I wish you well in all your challenges .

Jean

• Like 2

Basically I got told no skiiing, no bungee, no scuba, no rollercoasterS! Tbh I couldn’t imagine doing any of those now with my Shunt  on board anyway so was fine with that.

i have found altitude can affect me, high wind, sudden drop in atmospheric pressure but California should Be pretty good weather wise I imagine unless it’s high humidity. 

You need to go with what’s comfortable for you. I for instance could not bear a theme park of any kind even now and whilst i have managed a couple of concerts since I really struggle with the noise, intensity and sound of that kind of event.....it wipes me...and I loved gigs....but I still go, some bands are worth the toll! you’ll find what works .

if you are back at work and feel ok then just probably avoid anything that could cause sudden jerky movements....you’ll know if it’s no good. Give yourself a little more consideration when you travel , drink lots of water and take more rests, but  have fun. 

Daff 

• Like 1

Hi there

I've no limitations at all from a doing what I want to do point of view.  The only thing I have had to stop doing is my exercising (used to run and step aerobics) as I can't stand the vibrating feeling I get in my head.

Take your experts advice, but if you're not sure why they've given an answer, question it to find out.

Enjoy your trip x

• Like 1