Strange sensations weird feelings in head after SAH

Thought some of you might find this interesting.

I went with D to see his GP today, just to give him an update on what was going on, and also D had been experiencing with more and more frequency the strange sensations in his head (Almost all of the time now). We had spoken to both Neurosurgeons about it and they had no idea what it was or what was causing it.

Well an explanation from Dee's GP............... It might well be sometime to do with nerves in the head/brain. He said there is medication that could be tried similar to what people take for other nerve pains and for phantom pains amputees experience sometimes after removal of a limb.

The only problem was that they can have not nice side effects in some people and he was reluctant to try them at this stage for that reason, but he said if D wanted to try then he would give it a go. D decided against it for now as it wasnt painful.

We thought some of you might find this interesting.

Love

Poppy & D

Hi Poppy

Dee isn't on his own I also suffer with almost constant nerve pain in my head. My G.P and the Neurosurgeons both agreed on a low dose of anti-depressant which when taken in low doses can help minimise nerve damage.

I have been taking them for over 18 months and although they don't get rid of it completely it really does help a lot.

Janet x

Hi

Snap- I have the same nerve pains and have been on a dose of tablets that helps, although when I was in bed for that weekend with really bad headache, he uped the dose. Better days than others but they defintely help! I think Jan and I are still on the same tablets!

Love and hugs

Laura

xx

Good morning,

Thanks for you replies, there is so many things that SAH can leave you with isn't there.

D doesn't actually have any pain in his head. It is a strange weird sensation that he says sweeps over the top of his head, he finds it hard to explain what it is, sometimes he says it is like a twitch in his head and if he he watching tv or something like that when it happens he has to look away.

Poppy

Hi

I get something really similar, no pain but a 'zipping' sensation across my head that seems to get worse as I get more tired. Some mornings when I wake up, it's really bad.

Unrelated (I think) is an electric shock sensation across my forehead, usually when I'm startled. They say this is trigeminal neuralgia resulting from a damaged/compressed trigeminal nerve. I did start to take meds for it but they were the same as for epilepsy and they had strange side effects. I now just put up with it.

Kim

Hi Poppy, good to know that at least Dee now knows what might be going on, it is certainly true to say that some feelings are hard to describe, I find that very much which is also frustrating as I am used to having no problems at all with vocabulary etc. Definitely one of those things that are sent to try us :!:

I've also had quite a few strange sensations in my body and head ....

Like Kim, I also get an electric shock feeling through my feet and sometimes in my hands .... especially if I have a bit of a fright or heightened anxiety ..... feels like somebody has plugged me into the mains electric supply!

Headwise, well .... it's more around my right eye .... it can often feel like a stabbing pain in my eye ..... but the aneurysm affected the supply of blood to this eye, so can understand that.

I've also been offered drugs that are normally used for epilepsy to stop the nerve pain, but after being on an anti epilepsy drug for 10 months and having bad side effects, I have decided that it's not for me. However, what doesn't work for some, can work for other people, so it's worth giving the meds a go. I was on an old med, that was developed in the 1920's ..... a cheaper option for the NHS to prescribe, rather than newer meds, that are more expensive.

Hi everyone

I too get a sudden electrifying pain across the head at times and I think to myself "what was that", it doesn't last long but sometimes it leaves a slight nausea feeling.

I guess a lot of us have some odd twinges and pain after SAH that cannot be explained.

Myra xx

Hi All :D

I also get weird pains in my head, face and back of neck....i think it is only really now when i am tired.......they have improved a lot. Still scary sometimes....but i have put it down to mending pains.

Love Tina xx

Hi I get a strange feeling in my head sometimes rarer these days, it is like a twitch right where the op was normally on the ruptured side it kind of feels like a bubble or something weird, but apparently read somewhere that when you feel weird sensations in neck and head it can be air moving dunno how it gets in though :lol: can't hurt you apparently. Jess.xxx

I used to get very weird sensations in my head especially in the early days, I found out it was just the healing or repairing process.......and that kind of made sense...

well that's how it was for me anyway

Louise.x

I get an odd clicking sound, that's my jaw muscles healing after being cut during the craniotomy. My right eyebrow muscles still don't work at all though. Bah!

The 'air moving' thing is pressure changes inside your head. Y'know, like when you go up in an aeroplane and your ears pop? Similar sort of thing, apparently.