Due back to work 1st March 2010

Hi all

I have now arranged a meeting with my line manager and HR representative(s) for next Tuesday (23rd Feb); to discuss my return to work a week on Monday....eek

I do feel I need to get back to some sort of normality; and am going to move back to my flat over the weekend, and then I need to ease myself back into work before I go on SSP! (Which will not even cover my rent - and altho I realise my health should come first, I do live alone and don't have anyone to share the bills with!)

I am so unsure about what hours to do and for how many weeks? Any thoughts/ideas would be most welcome.

My normal working day would be 9:00 till 5:15, and I am thinking of attempting 10 till 2 for week one, then 10 till 3 in week 2, and then review it and see how I am doing at that point?

I also have a week’s holiday to take before the end of March (carried over from last year), so am thinking of having a day off each week...so I can do a 4 day week then have a 3 day weekend to recover. As this will also help ease me back in – if they are agreeable to that of course…

Kel x

Hi Kel

I started back to work on a very similar program to the one you are proposing. My normal work hours are from 9 - 5 Wed, Thurs & Fri. I only work 3 days a week and have a 4 day 'long weekend'.

I started back working 10 - 4 and then slowly increased the hours when I felt I was capable of doing so. Even only working the 4 hours initially I found that for that first week or so I was extremely tired. I work in sales/admin in a floor covering retail store and on my first day my first customer was a real doozy (PITA) and it really took a lot of effort on my part to serve her.

I have only just got back to working my normal hours. It has taken me about 6 months but I have done it slowly. I didn't feel that I was capable of doing it any quicker. You may find things easier for you.

It is great that you have that weeks holiday up your sleeve because it does give you that extra day to recover. I found that my 4 days break in between was a godsend as it meant I was refreshed to start work again the next week.

I wish you all the best for your meeting. Phased in work definitely worked for me :)

Hugs

Hi Kel

I returned to work in December. I usually do 35 hours a week. I started on 6 hours spread over two days, with a day in between. I was shattered at first but it did get easier. I had a load of annual leave, so worked 3 weeks and took week 4 as leave. Second month I increased it to 12 hours, over two days with a day in between. I was coping really well. My problem has been lack of support from my office manager and supervisor. My colleagues have been amazing though. Unfortunately I am now back off sick due to stress caused by bullying. Bit of a nightmare with the union involved and complaints going in on my behalf!!

Make sure they understand that although you look really well your brain is still healing and you get fatigued. You need them to be supportive and approachable. I would suggest that you ask your line manager to meet with you say every two weeks and the two of you can discuss how you are doing. That gives you the opportunity to say how you are coping and also your manager can give you feed back. My occy health doctor said my phased return could take as long 6 months. Listen to your body and rest when you need to. I would nip to the loos, put the light out and sit in the dark for about 5 mins, when I found my brain was strating to have enough. This gave my brain a little recharging.

The very best of luck you are doing really well.

Liz xx

Edited by Liz D
spelling !!

Hi Kel

Congratulations on feeling ready to return :)

I went back to work after 3 months, sraight back into full time and I did find it very tiring initially. I was very very lucky, with a supportive employer, HR manager and colleagues. I think I would have done better with a phased return.

One thing I would recommend is to think about taking each Wednesday off if you can, as opposed to a 3 day weekend - I did that after I had 2nd anneurysm coiled. I found my fatigue did not build up quite as much that way.

Like Rod says, dont be afraid to say you need to rest, or stop, or finish early. Overdoing it will just make you feel poorly, and uncomfortable. I know that's easier said than done ;)

Good luck to you Kel, sounds like you did a great job with the meeting.

Take care, Blondie xxx

Hi Kel,

I went back to work a couple of weeks ago, in more or less the exact same circumstances. Can totally understand the feeling of wanting to be back to normality and have found that in myself that has made me feel a lot better.

I’m on a phased approach back into work – I started at 4 hours a day and am looking at going up to 5 and so on over the next couple of weeks. I’ve found that I’ve been completely shattered at the weekends so have tried not to do too much in my spare time (although obviously seeing friends and family is important to my recovery too!)

When I went back I gave my team leader and HR people copies of the Brain and Spine Foundation’s leaflet on SAHs (http://www.brainandspine.org.uk/information/publications/brain_and_spine_booklets/subarachnoid_haemorrhage/index.html) I’ve found that that has helped the necessary people understand a bit more the kinds of things I am going through.

Best of luck with your return to work!

M x

Hi all

I am feeling a bit distressed this afternoon after having my meeting this morning re.returning to work next Monday.

I felt HR were very 'by the book' and 'as per policy'.

My Dr advised a phased return to work (but didn't state what that should be) and HR advised they can 'offer me' a 2-week phased return;

Week 1 = 9 till 1 then Week 2 = 9 till 3, then full time after that, and everything back to normal (really?? I do hope so!!).

BUT 9 till 1 they can only pay me 4hrs per day with no break factored in (but if I feel I would need a 15-min break then they would have to factor that in-as they can only pay me the actual hours I can work!)

9 till 3 I will get an hours lunch (and be paid 9 till 3 I think?..). Plus, I will hopefully be able to use a days hol each Friday too for 4 weeks to help ease me back. They need to check with payroll that they can accomodate this on their system.

It just all seemed a bit too policy driven for me. After what I have had and the fact I have worked there for 8yrs I would have expected a little more compassion and would have preferred to have been spoken to as a human being and not just a payroll no!

It has stressed me out, which is exactly what I do not need right now.

Perhaps I am being a little sensitive, but I did tell them that 2 weeks phased return seems quite quick to me. HR wanted to know how long it will take for me to get back to full-time - I felt like saying "how long is a piece of *bleeping* string" !!! :mad2:

How can I possibly know how I will feel when I start to do my job again?

Also, the long term sick includes our usual 10-days sick in a rolling year, so I will only get sick pay again as of 14th dec this year... altho they will assess that if it arises (seems a little harsh??)

AAaaaarrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhh :mad5:

I need to calm down and chill out. I will have an early night and see how I feel in the morning, and then maybe write a note to them.

Is it me? or does this '2-wk phased return without full pay' sound a little harsh?

Kel x

Hi

I'm not sure what line of work you are in? but if they are doing a phased return by the book it would pay you to get a copy of the policy and also involve your union if you are in one. i worked for a local council and they were very flexible with my phased return, over period of 6 weeks, the first week I did 3 days at 2hrs a day, the next week different days. if you want to know anything else please pm me

Good luck

Caroline

Hi Kel

I'm so sorry your feeling stressed and fully understand, no you are not being sensitive, your employer is being insensitive/ignorant. But sadly it's a story told over and over.

I work in a hospital and my office manager is a former ward manager on a mental health unit. Usually phased returns are over a 4 week period and in some circumstances over 8 weeks. Normally you would recieve full pay for this time. But this usually covers things like small ops, broken arm/leg that sort of thing. When it comes to heart attack, stress or in my case a SAH then it's over a 6 month period. However you will only get paid the hours that are worked.

You have done so well to get to where you are, in such a short time. Shame on them for not doing a little research into SAH and they would see that for themselves!!And yes they are being harsh! But you sound a strong person and I think a good night's sleep will help. We have to pick ourselves up, dust ourselves down and get ready to fight another day, when we shouldn't have to!

Sorry have ranted a bit also but I just got so mad when I read your post!!

Liz xx

Edited by Liz D
spelling

Hi Kel

I think that what Caroline has said is good advice if you're a member of a Union contact the rep. I would imagine that different organisations have different policies regarding return to work after long term illness.

Have another word with your Doctor as their idea of a phased return might be different to your employers and then the Doctor will be able to state that on your return to work note.

The phased return your H.R is offering does seem a little harsh but again if you're a member of the Union speak to a rep who can look into the H.R and sickness policy for you. Do remember that your employer has to consider the Disability, Discrimination Act when dealing with you.

HI Kel :) sorry you were treated like that....really hope it can be sorted....sounds far too quick to me, i could not cope with that and i am 2 years down the line. As the others have said, seek advice ...hugs to you...love Tina xx

I am so sorry to hear that your meeting didn't go as planned Kel. I can understand how upset you are. I also think that you can't ease back into work in 2 weeks. I remember how hard it was for me. I think employers sometimes need a real good shaking. They are only worried about their own interests.

I think you really need to get a letter from your Doctor what is an acceptable period for a phased return to work.

Whilst my boss has been great with the phased in return to work after a few months he put me onto casual. I used to be on permanent part-time, only working the 3 days a week. Putting me on casual meant that he didn't have to pay me sick leave or holiday pay anymore. His excuse was that it took the pressure off me and that it meant that if I was ill I could take the time off - without pay. I think it just boils down to a money issue with him. He has always said that as soon as I felt able that I could have my permanent part time position back. But when I spoke to him about it the other day he is holding off until it has been 12 months.

Thank you all for your messages, support and advice. :thumbsup:

I thougth it wasn't me being overly-sensitive; it was a little ignorant of them to think they have been so understanding...as that is what they think they have been!?!

I am late getting ready this morning, so just a quick post to say thanks, and will post more later

Kel x

Hi there

sorry late on this & I too agree with the others its too quick, a union or citizens advice is also good....when I worked before the SAH I worked part time 1-5pm but if I did mornings it was 9-1 so that itself I dont see as phased return:roll:or is that me....

And NO you wernt being over senstive at all....

take care

Hi

I thought phased return MEANT phased return:confused:.

I also thought you could have some say in how you felt and also have advice from your O/h to support you mine was going to come into work with me make sure there was a rest area for me etc and i only worked 9-12.

Unfortunatley i am unable to return to work so that didnt happen, I agree with everyone else get some advice they seem to be dictating when and how, and no you are not over sensitive at all.

I have a friend who had a knee replacement and was phase returned over 3 weeks going in 1 hour the 1st week 1 hour the next and 2 hours the last week she works she works 12-3pm.

Take care and good luck

Michelle C xxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi

I used to work for a LA as a teacher and also had a really poor phased return. they had me back to full time within 3 weeks. I lasted 4 weeks and then was off for 5 months on the sick again. I then had another phased return (again in 3 weeks) and was off again for 3 weeks. Then the consultant told me I had to leave. Do what you feel happiest with- I wanted normality and got bitten big style! Now there is no way I would go back in three weeks. It destroyed my confidence as well cos I felt I couldn't do anything. My advice is think hard about what you can do and don't let your work beat your down!

Hi again, I'm so sorry that you are another victim of today's work full time and without expectation of co-operation and understanding from us school of employment:shocked: Sorry but I think there is steam coming out of my ears and it is clouding my normal equanimity! You have already been given some excellent advice, go to your professional association or to your union whichever is appropriate and also I think someone said your GP. I would go back to him and say that you need some support over this. He should be able to help, I would also suggest that you revisit your HR Dept armed with some literature about SAH, or at the very least a request that they look at this site or put SAH into Google and chew on that, oops I think that steam is coming out again.

You do so much need all the support you can get, all I can do is say yep the advice you have been given so far is good and tell you I will think of you, do let us know how it all goes. I'm off to take a pop at something I can't hurt:roll: Good Luck

Edited by perrycornish
spelling

Hi kel

sorry to hear that your meeting with your line manager was quite harsh :frown:

You would expect people to be more understanding but not always the case. Hope you feel ok on the day you return to work just like everyone has said listen to your body.

I am dreading going back as feel so tired these days I wonder if I will ever feel the same again. I met up with my supervisor a couple of weeks ago who expected me back in march. Although he suggested a different roll from what I do at the moment until I am better which I suppose was nice of him. I called occy health in my work place and explained to them I'm not ready to go back. They told me to see my doctor and get another sick note up to the end of march. I am on full pay for 6 months then after that it goes to half pay so guess I can manage to stay off a little longer. Like you said it's hard when you are on your own with all the bills coming in.

I hope it all goes well for you and remember your health is the most important thing. Good Luck hun with everything

hugs & kisses norma x