Advice needed - has anyone got a contraceptive coil after SAH?

Hi guys

I've had a particularly hard few months with a few different things going in my life that I am struggling with. Having had several gynaecology appointments, the consultant has gone mad about the fact i'm taking the pill after my SAH and has stressed the danger of me taking it not just cos of my SAH but because of other problems as well. He has given me 4 options and none of them are nice- basically resulting in me losing all my womanly functions! He doesn't want me to have the coil but I'm wondering whether I should give it a go before going for something so drastic but the trouble is, is that I've never heard anything good about the coil. Any advice would be great please!!!!!!

Sorry i've been so distant for so long - I'm finding it really difficult to cope with things at the mo and tears are a big part of my days. I was a bridesmaid yesterday so I had to muster all the happiness I could for the day. Today i'm back to headaches and tears etc.....Not helping the fact that whilst i'm having all these womanly problems, my sister and best friend both announce they are pregnant. I'm happy for them but feeling a bit selfish too and am upset.

Love you all xxxx

Hi Laura,

I'm still taking the contraceptive pill, as I'm prone to ovarian cysts and the pill that I'm on, seems to help control them and has kept them at bay for many years....but don't seem to be having any problems on this current pill and my blood pressure is okay... I can't use the mirena coil, due to my history of ovarian cysts as it can exacerbate them....but have heard from others that the Mirena coil has worked well for them.

I know how you feel, re: contraception ..... it sounds as though you're indicating that something radical may have to take place? Have you considered the male alternatives? .... Probably easier for your partner, then for you?

Not sure that this helps you any, but sounds like you would like to have children at some point, rather than having anything radical, that could deny you the chance?

Wishing you the very best and hope that you can get the problem sorted out. xx

I wonder why he's not keen for you to have the coil. I have a Mirena Coil, had it for about 4 years now. I hesitated for 2 years because I'd heard you can have more bleeding at first, and people say they've gained weight. I must say it's been brilliant! I never have periods, which is bliss as I used to have horrendous pain both at my period and at ovulation.

If the doctor is suggesting hysterectomy, I don't know how hold you are, but all the women I know who've had one say they feel 10 years younger, so it might not be so terrible, although i see you are upset other people are having babies so maybe you are a bit young for such a final treatment.

I'm sorry you are feeling low. Have you talked to your GP? I have had reactive depression in the past and as my SAH is so recent both the GP and neuropsychologist are keeping a close eye on me.

Take care and don't hesitate to PM me if you want more info.

hi laura

im sorry you are having all the problems that you are having and really feel for you although i cant help in your quest is there anyway that you can get a second opinion without upsetting the first consultant you are young and vibrant person it cant help asking possible implant instead of pills massive hugs and cuddles sweetheart i really hope you manage to get things sorted

Hi Laura

Sorry to hear you are feeling down at the mo. Sounds like a difficult time for you.

I have not been allowed the pill for years due to my weight, the fact I used to smoke (a lot), and I had borderline high blood pressure for years... I was offered the mini pill but didn't like that idea.

I am not able to help with regards to the coil, but big hugs for you. I hope you manage to get some answers to help your decision.

Take care

Kel x

Hi Laura, all I can say is think about your quality of life coping with the problems. I found it wasn't much fun so when I was offered a hysterectomy at age 38, over 20 years ago, I jumped at it. I have never looked back, the only thing was, I piled weight on, 1/4 stone a week for several weeks, going from 7 stone to 10 stone. I also went back to work after 6 weeks instead of the recommended 3 months as it was then.

Surgery is not as serious in this modern day.

I think coming to terms with losing your "womanly bits" can be quite difficult for some, but in my case it was such a relief I didn't care.

Edited by penny

Hi Laura

I don't know the answer as I have only used the pill and was taken off it by my GP a few months after my SAH as my blood pressure was a wee bit high and I have another small aneurysm.

Perhaps you could consult the Family Planning Clinic or similar for their opinion as they will have more direct experience of giving advice on choice of contraceptives? I'm of the impression that GPs in general practice tend to stick to recommending the pill or implant as both are believed to be more reliable.

Best wishes

Anne

Hey Laura

I have the Mirena coil and have done for about 6 years - its brilliant. I haven't had a period since, which is definitely bliss like Jen says. I didn't put weight on at all - only since SAH.

My friend in Penzance has had horrendous pain and extremely heavy bleeding for years - she's had the Mirena for a few months now and its great for her - her other alternative was a hysterectomy. Its worth asking your Gp why he's against the coil but all for more drastic action - its probably a case of the op would cost less in the long run - saving money rather than truly helping patients!!!!

Sending you love and hugs hun

Hi Laura

I can't help you with the coil information but I am sending you big hugs, I know it can be hard but you are so strong.

I had a hysterectomy when I was 30, I had no choice but to have it done. I think I put on more weight after that but that but at least I don't have the problems I had before.

Get the advice you need to make an informed decision and I hope it all works out well for you.

Take care.

Hi laura i am still on the pill and have been told it is fine however a few dr's i saw didn't want me on it either so it is hard to know what to suggest. Sorry not very helpful i know. Jess.

Hi Laura

A hysterectomy would be fine if you're finished having a family, am I right that you haven't started a family yet? I can't help re the pill, I only ever used it for a year when I was a teenager but it made me quite ill. My husband was responsible for contraception. When we completed our family after having 3 children, he had a vasectomy.

If it's because of heavy bleeding and pain (but again you have to have finished having a family) then there is another procedure. I had problems 6 years and they couldn't find the cause and wanted to do a hysterectomy. I refused to let them until they told me what was causing the problem! I'd tried a mirena coil for 6 months but it didn't help. So I had an edometrial ablation. They destroy the endometrial lining with radiotherapy. It's done as a day case and you're up and about in 48 hours! I've never looked backed! But it's only suitable if you've had your family.

I'm so sorry that your going through all this stress, take care.